Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to fit both of the above. Was looking to fit both myself at the same time. My question is can I fit at same time? I know you after fitting to run engine till fans kick in to get ECU to adjust settings. Can I fit both or will i need to fit 1, run correct ecu, and then fit the other? Hope that make sense. I was also thinking about using the TEC Bike parts for the booster and x pipe, I have watched several TEC vids on Yourtube and the fella seems to have his head screwed on. Any reason anyone know of why I should source other suppliers?

Wasn't completely sure where to post this thread if a mod wants to move to another section feel free.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Should not need booster plug.
Hey, Fancy Pants -- we can't all afford a full-blown Power Commander V, big cams and dyno-tuning for every bike we own like you! :wink2: (or maybe we CAN afford it but we're just cheap bastards).

In any case the Booster Plug is a pretty clever, easy plug & play way to fool your ECU and richen-up your fuel mixture at low-end throttle range. So let us wannabees have our fun.

PS: Please post more of your mods and crazy dyno test results. We like to live vicariously thru you and your thick wallet.

-GPz

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey, Fancy Pants -- we can't all afford a full-blown Power Commander V, big cams and dyno-tuning for every bike we own like you! :wink2: (or maybe we CAN afford it but we're just cheap bastards).
In any case the Booster Plug is a pretty clever, easy plug & play way to fool your ECU and richen-up your fuel mixture at low-end throttle range. So let us wannabees have our fun.
PS: Please post more of your mods and crazy dyno test results. We like to live vicariously thru you and your thick wallet.
-GPz
Yes my £162 per week state pension really helps me live it up. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I personally wouldn’t be happy to install anything that alters the fueling on my bike without then having ratios checked on a dyno afterwards!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Should be fine to fit both at the same time and TEC X-Pipes are good quality. Alternatives are Motone or Free Spirits but not more expensive and from what I can see you don't get anything more for the additional cost.
I did the 12 minute tune after fitting V&H Pipes, Booster Plug and X-Pipe. Bike is running beautifully.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should not need booster plug.
Please explain. My initial thoughts on fitting Booster was that at low down speed throttle response feels a bit off (I am sure I could explain it better, but can't think how) Never stalled bike and generally bike feels fine, it's just that low 10-20 mph range. In the main not a problem, but where I live there is a nice little run unfortunately it has a 20 mph zone for about a mile that's where I only notice it. My only reservation was regarding fuel consumption, I believe that I will get less out of my tank by fitting booster. trirocket, you might have just stopped me in my tracks and I'm not too sure why. X Pipes is a definite goer mind.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Please explain. My initial thoughts on fitting Booster was that at low down speed throttle response feels a bit off (I am sure I could explain it better, but can't think how) Never stalled bike and generally bike feels fine, it's just that low 10-20 mph range. In the main not a problem, but where I live there is a nice little run unfortunately it has a 20 mph zone for about a mile that's where I only notice it. My only reservation was regarding fuel consumption, I believe that I will get less out of my tank by fitting booster. trirocket, you might have just stopped me in my tracks and I'm not too sure why. X Pipes is a definite goer mind.
The idea is that if minor changes (filters, decat) are made, the ecu has the ability to adapt fueling to suit, so fit the decat, do the 12 min reset & it should be good to go.
You can always waste, sorry I mean spend your money on a booster thingy if you are not happy with it, of course this will richen mixture at some rpm where it is not needed, as it is not selective after all just a plug & play resistor. The last resistors I used for this cost literally pennys.
There is no substitute for a good dyno tune with pcv, my mods are more involved so this is the route I had to take.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Speed cameras on the 20 mph zone? if not, personally i can't see sitting at 20 where the bike is unhappy would ever be an issue, to be honest the only time i ever see 20 is going up past it in 1st or coming down past it in 1st.

Unless of course you are a responsible and considerate road user in which case, pop it into 3rd at 20 and it grumbles along perfectly fine with no snatch, just bang it down 2 at the end and let rip :)

·
Vendor
448 Posts
These bikes run lean from the factory. The adaptation just adapts it back to that same lean state. While PCv is ideal, the booster plug just richens the bike up a little. Don’t think there is any need to dyno etc. it’s not making it any leaner than stock.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
These bikes run lean from the factory. The adaptation just adapts it back to that same lean state. While PCv is ideal, the booster plug just richens the bike up a little. Don’t think there is any need to dyno etc. it’s not making it any leaner than stock.
I’ve heard the theory re the booster plug but to date I’ve not seen any evidence. I’d be really keen to understand what exactly it is doing a little better.

Do you have or can you point me in the direction of any data, dyno’s graphs displaying a/f and so on?

·
Vendor
448 Posts
Have not dyno’d bikes with a booster plug, have dyno’d a few 1200s that we installed power commanders on and they all had some fuel added to them in the mid range and picked up power in the mid range. Fueling was dead on up top thus not
Much gains in peak power. Here is a Thruxton R. You can see how the bike picked up by richening the tune.

The booster plug is altering the Intake air temp sensor signal, making the bike think that the ambient outside temp is cooler than it actual is, which in turn the bike then adds 6-8% fuel to compensate.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The idea is that if minor changes (filters, decat) are made, the ecu has the ability to adapt fueling to suit, so fit the decat, do the 12 min reset & it should be good to go.
You can always waste, sorry I mean spend your money on a booster thingy if you are not happy with it, of course this will richen mixture at some rpm where it is not needed, as it is not selective after all just a plug & play resistor. The last resistors I used for this cost literally pennys.
There is no substitute for a good dyno tune with pcv, my mods are more involved so this is the route I had to take.
Rocket, your on. I have purchased x pipe, will fit and see how she performs and then make a decision. Thanks for the quick response.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts