Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

I have successfully fitted a Speedmaster (touring) windshield to my Bobber Black and wanted to share how I accomplished this. Full disclosure - due to snow I have not test ridden it yet.

Concept & History:

I have always been on the fence with full size windshields, going back and forth as to whether or not I like them. Well last year on a road trip I rode 500 miles in one day, much at high speed which got a little uncomfortable, so started to think a windshield may be a good addition. Couple that with 'everything is bigger in America' including the bugs..:surprise: Two hit me last year, onc giving me a black eye (hit just above my shades) and the other actually drew blood (hitting me in the cheek). Hence I've pondered a windshield.

Fitting:

So I liked the look of the Speedmaster touring windshield but due to the fact the forks on the Bobber Black are larger in diameter, it was clear it would not fit. Not deterred I got one anyway and started looking to modify it. I found the perfect brackets in the Motone wrap-around 47mm turn signal brackets. A quick call to Brian at A&J who hooked me up to four (two pairs).

The Motone brackets are much higher quality than the OEM ones. Also they are 'wrap-around', so there is no need to remove the forks from the yokes. Due to the design they do require placing the windshield slightly further back which I find is not an issue.

I have fitted the windshield with just cheep nuts/bolts to prove the concept and now I know it works I will order some nicer fittings.

In short Triumph says that this screen will not fit the Bobber Black and is not compatible with high bars. With a little ingenuity wrong on both accounts.:grin2::grin2::grin2:

That's another winter mod done (once I get some nicer fittings) and another one I'm looking to try out as soon as it thaws.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Holy cow Roy, you’ll be able to ride for miles and miles with that windshield, great job and inspiration.

What I’ve learned over the years is that everything will work, you just have to make it fit.

Bet your dying to get on the road, hurry spring

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roy, you really are going a great job with your personal Bobber build. Attaboy!
Thanks mate,

She really is coming together nicely. I'm hoping my powder coating will be sorted soon so I can start rebuilding those footboards. I'm also gagging for my mate to finish up my custom bars, so I can fit them, install the heated grips and see how it all looks with the new windshield.

Once the Spring hits, I can take her in to the shop and have the running lights wired up and my white walls fitted for the final 'Summer' look.

Winter may be here mate but at least we are making the best of it. Give my love to Seattle, my old stomping ground..:smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgive the extra pics gents,

But it was a stunning day here, warm with good light, so wanted to update with a couple of images.

Now the windshield is on I'm thinking she is looking pretty sharp..:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got the correct size bolts for my windshield project.

So was able to fit it proper and tighten everything down. All looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

The only small issue was the location of the brackets. On the original (Speedmaster) brackets the bolt is located centrally on the forks. The Motone brackets I have used place the bolts either to the front or rear of the forks (due to design), I chose the rearward position. This meant the bracket just impacted the tank badge (note I have a larger Speedy tank fitted). But with a little 'jiggling' it all worked out fine.

So now I have a nice Triumph full size windshield to help keep the wind and bugs off..:grin2: And as a bonus I think it looks pretty smart too.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Looks great, Roy! It's a really big windshield, but perfect for long rides and/or rides with lots of high speed cruising.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Gents,

I thought I would update this thread with some recent changes to this project.

Okay first off I have been riding with this (Speedmaster) windshield fitted for a couple of weeks now and have covered nearly 1,000 miles. I LOVE it..:grin2: It does a great job of keeping wind pressure off my chest. And as a lot of the roads around here are open desert roads, that is making my rides a lot more pleasant.

So after some thought I decided I wanted it mounted a little further back (42mm to be precise). To that end I drilled new holes and mounted as you see. This places the screen just about at the rear of the headlight bezel which to my eyes looks much more pleasing.

I have found a local custom bike shop who will be able to cut off the rear (unwanted) section of the clamp, clean it up and them powder coat the whole bracket black. Planning to do this in the next 7-10 days.

Also the bolts are just temporary for proof of concept, so these will be replaced with cleaner examples at some point.

Overall I'm loving how this screen feels on rides and how it looks on the bike. Not to the taste of many, I realize that but I'm loving it...:grin2:

Cheerio for now,

Roy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,120 Posts
I'm loving it too. My TBird had a bigassed screen and it was terrific for cruising. I can imagine that if you're doing long distances it's a godsend.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brackets Cut, Shaped & Coated

Hi Chaps,

I forgot to take photographs of the brackets when I took them off, apologies..:|

I just picked up the brackets which have now had the excess cut off, re-shaped to my spec and (along with bushings) powder coated. New (titanium) bolts have arrived, so all parts are ready for the final fit.

I will get to final fitting of the (Speedmaster) windshield in the next couple of days but for now here is a pic of the altered parts (and a pic prior to taking the brackets off).

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts