Triumph Bobber Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Kudos Roy. Not much more I can say, bit hard to top that effort.

Regret to not ponder more on my seat mount engineering. Works for you, just as it did for Phil Irving and the Vincents.

Reiterating, a message to your detractors........go suck eggs!!!

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks Gents,

Appreciate all the comments (good or indifferent).

I'm busy today so can't spend too much time with my bike, but did get up early to give her a wash as we got caught in a downpour last night. So just took a couple of quick pics to show the whole bike now the seat is on.

It was never my intention but I'm guessing this is probably the most comfortable it's possible to get a Bobber. But for me, I just love the 1930's look.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hi Gents,

Well I just had enough time this evening to head out for an hour and do a decent test ride. I'm pleased to say the sprung seat worked magnificently, even better than I could have hoped.

I deliberatly hit some of the worst bumps I know. There are two bumps going over a bridge on a corner that I take around 50mph. These are a good test as it's at speed but on a corner too. I hardly knew they were there, the new set up soaked them up almost 100%.

There is also a really bad dip I know well. You really shouldn't git this more than 30 at most but I wanted to test the set up so hit it at 50mph. There was a slight cushioned 'boink' but that was it.

Totally superb in all respects and I'm no convinced (even though it wasn't my intention) that I have the most comfortable Bobber there is.

I love it when a plan comes together.

She's looking darn smart too with that vintage look.:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Roy, I’m inspired with your every post! Can’t wait to get back and start engineering mine! Hopefully it is as successful as what you’ve done. I’m 1/2 way through part 4 of my worldwide ride (at the Ukraine/Kiev border) about 10 days to go! Saigon - Scotland - 170 hours riding.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hi Chaps,

No big update but I did manage to get our of town yesterday on a short ride and for the first time got up to some high speed ( 90 plus) so wanted to give some feedback on the new seat/springs/suspension set up.

Overall I found it really very stable indeed. No issues whatsoever. Hit a few decent sized bumps and the seat/springs really just nullified them to a point they were hardly noticeable. In general the bike felt really stable and solid - noticeably. Coupled with the Wilbers shock the bike just feels bigger, more stable and rock solid.

I've had a few requests to show the actual attachments of the springs/seat/swing-arm etc. and plan to get some details & photos in the coming week sorted, so watch this space.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi Guys,

Somewhat of an afterthought but I thought I would get my wife to take some pics of me sitting on the new seat setup so you could see the riding position.

I recon the seat springs depress around half an inch with my weight on them, not much at all. But that little bit of give when riding makes a huge difference.

I must confess the combination of this seat setup, my news custom wider bars and the footboards, is just about as perfect (for me) as it gets.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Roy,
I have to adjust my statement about the functionality of your solution.
The location of the seat spring on the fork is close to the pivot point, so there will be minimal negative impact due to a total suspension of 70mm.
Good ride.

Reactions: Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Do you by chance have the seller of the springs from ebay?

Hi @NorEaster,

I went through a number of different springs setups and some came along with seats that I did not use.

The springs I have fitted now came from an Indian seller, took forever to get here but were the form and size I wanted.

So in a roundabout way what I'm trying to say is I can't recall the exact ebay seller of the springs I have fitted not but I'm happy to send you the spare sets I have if your looking to try projects out. Just pm me and I will dig what I have out.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Greetings All,

Although I can see the logic in finishing a project and being satisfied that’s all done, my mind just doesn’t work that way, so I’m always constantly looking to ‘tweak’ details for the purpose of ‘perpetual improvement, so I beg your forgiveness if posts like this irritate anyone. What can I say, I just can’t help myself.

So I’ve been running my vintage style sprung seat for around a year now, so it’s time to start some minor improvement. First off, the leather washers I used to cushion both ends of the spring need replacing, it seems they last about a year or so. I have a local Cobbler make me up some thick leather washers and of course dye them black. While doing this I took the decision to improve on the nut/bolt setup. This time I went for a domed bolt with a large countersunk washer. This gives a cleaner look while the large washer is a better fit for the leather washers, preventing the earlier washer/bolt combo from ‘bitting’ into the leather so much. I also replaced the top nut with a domed one, just because it looked a little smarter.

I have a couple of minor projects in this area to do over the coming weeks, so if interested, keep your eyes peeled.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It surprises me that with the different materials available the old school way still works best. (y) The look is fabo.

Chico

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Me too!

When I first did this project, I bought some heavy duty rubber washers thinking that would work. They were destroyed with a couple of weeks, so I just asked myself what did those chaps do back in the day. That's when I realized they must have just used leather. Could I find any leather washers? No, so went to my local cobbler with a pattern and he was kind enough to make me up some.

Any of course they work really well. Placed either side of the springs, they allow my to tighten down he bolts but protect a non metal to metal contact, as the springs are always going to flex a little.

Cheerio,

Roy

61 - 80 of 80 Posts