Triumph Bobber Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Roy, if you need some inspiration check these out.

This one is for those who want to be different and stand out from any crowd.

Chico

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks @Chico,

Some great images there mate.

I've studied old bikes a lot over the years. One of the reasons I went for the Bobber and not the Speedmaster was that vintage hard-tail look, so the sprung seat was always on my mind.

Here is one of my inspirations specifically for my Triumph build.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Roy, keep in mind that your image and the ones I posted are hard tails. The swinger doesn't move. The critical comments that were posted suggested that the springs being attached to the swing arm presents the questionable location. You have proven to your satisfaction that this configuration works so keep going forward and prove the skeptics, me included wrong.?

Chico

·
Registered
266 Posts
All this energy you guys have!! I think it’s almost time for me to try putting a spring setup on on of my bikes. I will keep the MotherRoad seat as it’s perfect for my builds but I’ll have to research parts/suppliers. This is very cosmetic vs. comfort project for me but I’m actually wondering what era the springs vanished from production as my bikes are meant to resemble 1940 - 1945 era military motorcycles. Roy would know this one. I’m on my worldwide ride now (just crossed Kazakstan/Russia border) but Meanwhile, back in the garage, I’m working on a 20’s HD single and twin.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Roy, keep in mind that your image and the ones I posted are hard tails. The swinger doesn't move. The critical comments that were posted suggested that the springs being attached to the swing arm presents the questionable location. You have proven to your satisfaction that this configuration works so keep going forward and prove the skeptics, me included wrong.��

Chico
Boy this sprung seat topic is getting a bit of mileage.

Chico mate. Referring to my post on the previous page depicting the HRD Vincent models. In case you or others missed the significance, these were cantilever swing-arm (Bonneville Bobber) and not rigid.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi @Jaymz,

You certainly get around mate, stay safe.

Gosh that early HD of yours is totally stunning, what a treasure.

As far as sprung seats go on military motorcycles; they were common right through WWII and lingered on well into the 1950's. On some models (if my memory is correct) even with some hold outs into the early 1960's.

The sprung seat seemed to have been the standard from pre WWI right through WWII. Likely with it's hay day in the 1930's.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes mate I had noticed Enfield was still offering the sprung seat, very cool bikes.

As fare as the racing...respect....my friend. You the man...:smile2:

It's hard not to have a soft spot for Sportsters, a great bike.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’m actually riding an Enfield Classic 500 on the world trip but no springs! The seat is the same so I’m guessing the one in the picture had the springs added on? Lots of research to do in order to get it perfect but you guys have done 80% of the work for me!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Progress Report

Hi Folks,

Just a little update.

I dropped my Triumph off yesterday morning and my mechanic had planned to get it back to me today but he is not happy with the paint, so fingers crossed I should have her back tomorrow. All being well I can spend the evening fitting the sprung seat to the new lugs.

So no photo updated today but fingers crossed, not long to wait.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here’s a couple of pictures of my friend’s 1928 BMW R26! I’m going to use it as my prototype and see what I can do once I get home from part 4 of my worldwide ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a genius....:nerd::nerd: and I had no idea....:wink2:
With respect to the research of others, to the accolades that seem to have been laid at your feet Roy (you saint 0:)) and the photographic evidence submitted, I reckon you should have your Bobber resprayed sepia in hommage! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Project complete..!

Greeting Lads & Lasses,

I have just completed the new, updated and improved version of my pre-war sprung seat concept, so wanted to update this thread with some initial thoughts and overall feedback.

As this is a somewhat controversial project with some members concerned over the feasibility of mounting seat-springs to the swing-arm, I thought I would not only recap on my original concept and intention but also give a thorough and honest review now that it is complete, all be it newly done with not many miles under my belt (as of writing).

Aesthetics:
I was attempting to recreate the look of the sprung seat on the original pre-war Triumph Speed Twin and in that regard I am totally thrilled with how the project has turned out. Considering I'm dealing with a non-ridgit frame, the 'look' is just what I had hoped for, well if I'm honest even better. So in the aesthetics department I could not be more happy.

Suspension - Handling & Comfort:
After running the stock shock for a year I realized it was just terrible and was not up to the job. With the extra weight my bike carries, I found the back end bounced around and bottomed out at every opportunity. This not only resulted in poor comfort but also impaired handling, especially when hitting a pot-hole at speed while cornering. To this end I decided to upgrade to a Wilbers and this has been superb in every respect.

Fitting a sprung seat to the swing-arm was not intended to improve comfort or handling but as mentioned was motivated by aesthetics. However and to my surprise it has improved comfort AND handling and with No ill effects that I can determine.

I'm no mechanic or engineer so I will just try to explain my thoughts and feelings on this in simple laymen's terms. The seat is mounted at the front to the original frame mounts. The bracket to facilitate this is of my own design and does pivot. The springs are mounted under the rear of the seat and are bolted to two lugs that I made and have had welded to the swing-arm.

The main suspension of the bike is the upgraded Wilbers mono-shock and this does an excellent job. As the swing-arm moves up/down under it's normal travel, it now also buffers against the seat-springs and of course my weight. To date I have noted only positive improvements in both handling and comfort. Now let me just repeat myself again for anyone who say's this 'won't' work - it DOES and it works superbly. I have not had a single issue in any respect. I know some of you may have more wisdom in engineering that I, but the proof as they say is in the pudding and this set up (at least for me) seems to work WITHOUT fault. However it's early days yet and if I do find any issue in the longterm, I will of course be happy to admit my error and report back.

The Future:
Aside from a few fine adjustments here and there, I think I'm going to put this project down for the time being (I've said that before), enjoy it, put some miles on the seat and get to some other projects. However I do think in time I will remake the front bracket as I feel this could be improved. I also may consider getting the seat recovered in some quality leather if I can find the right craftsman to work with.

This has been an exciting project and has taken countless hours of pondering, designs (in my head) and changes. My initial thoughts were really just cosmetic but I'm very pleased indeed at not only how this looks but how it has 'improved' the comfort and handling of my Triumph.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.S. We are in monsoon season here, so got caught in the rain, needless to say the bike is filthy, so once I can get her cleaned up, I will update with some nicer photos.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 80 Posts