Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Roy, I have a bad feeling from the location of the spring on the swingarm.
The seat is attached to the front of the frame (spring-loaded mass) and to the rear of the unsprung fork.
It won't work well ...

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Looks great Roy! Well done.

As I see it, the front of the seat connects to the top of the shock absorber as normal, and the back of the seat is connected via springs to the swinging arm, and therefore ultimately to the bottom of the shock. Is that right?

- Pasta

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks great Roy! Well done.

As I see it, the front of the seat connects to the top of the shock absorber as normal, and the back of the seat is connected via springs to the swinging arm, and therefore ultimately to the bottom of the shock. Is that right?

- Pasta
This is the wrong solution.

Reactions: BurgerBobber

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Roy, I have a bad feeling from the location of the spring on the swingarm.
The seat is attached to the front of the frame (spring-loaded mass) and to the rear of the unsprung fork.
It won't work well ...
Hi @jaho,

Thank you for your thoughts.

That was the reason I tried my 'proof of concept' out first. Not only did I have zero issues, it actually worked superbly, hence my moving forward with a more cleaner/professional job. If I had any concerns at all I wouldn't be taking this next step. But if I'm wrong I will certainly admit it, so will report back once complete.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi @jaho,

Yes I have seen this done a number of times and it's a great option. However this only works with small custom style seats and not the larger examples that I have been using as the frame is too short.

Still a great option and one I really like, just won't work for what I'm doing.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Roy.

Of your vision and innovation, don't hold too much of any negative banter to heart. I'm on your team.

We need to think outside the square at times to move forward!

“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs - Apple/Mac

·
Registered
266 Posts
Roy! Actually.... I haven’t been able to master the perfect spring setup because I love the Mother Road seats I’m using and don’t want to change them. You’ve come a lot further than me on this. I have 40 - 50 mods per bike I build so I conclude that it’s all hit and miss. I spent so much in R&D on parts that just didn’t suit the build. Just when I thought I was finished, along comes a member of this forum showing us on/off road tires (Pirelli) that were perfect on my bikes. That’s another $400 per bike if they look right. Conclusion: no such thing as good or bad ideas, just what’s good for you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Roy.

Of your vision and innovation, don't hold too much of any negative banter to heart. I'm on your team.

We need to think outside the square at times to move forward!

“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs - Apple/Mac
Thanks for that mate, appreciate your thoughtful comments and support.

As mentioned, I initially tired a 'bolt-on' version for proof of concept and to my surprise this not only worked but worked 'really' well. This was my motivation in moving forward.

The brackets are made, measurements done, new springs (shorter) and all new (titanium) bolts purches. New leather washers are being made (for spring mounting) by my local cobbler and the bike is booked in for swing-arm welding/powder coating on Monday.

If all goes to plan, I will be updating with the finished product mid to late next week.

As a matter of interest, I pulled of my sprung seat and springs in preparation and have temporarily re-fitted my fixed floating seat. The few days I have been riding with this fixed seat have really highlighted how much more comfortable and stable the sprung-seat concept it.

Excited to get this finished and report back next week.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Roy, sorry to disappoint but the jury’s out onthe sprung seat. Your concept it seems was preceded by another visionary motorcycle engineering genius. You have been found guilty of theft, stole the design. Our Australian patent attorneys will be in duly touch so you might need to consider legal advice........ ha ha !!!!

Let’s turn back the clock, about 75years actually. His name was Philip Irving (an Australian), the man behind the legendary HRD Vincent. Now whilst your version differs visually, mechanically in principle it is virtually identical with regards to pivot and anchor points on the cantilevered swing-arm. There were acouple of variants, but the images are self descriptive.

Take a detailed look at the seat geometry and mechanics of these machines, firstly the 1935 500cc Comet, and latterly the 1000cc Shadow.

In essence having prefaced the above, you’ve been vindicated and your protagonist detractors are in err claiming it simply won’t work. So wrong, wrong, wrong, they need to have a slice of ‘humble pie’.

The Irving Vincent lives....https://www.irvingvincent.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey Roy, sorry to disappoint but the jury’s out onthe sprung seat. Your concept it seems was preceded by another visionary motorcycle engineering genius. You have been found guilty of theft, stole the design. Our Australian patent attorneys will be in duly touch so you might need to consider legal advice........ ha ha !!!!

Let’s turn back the clock, about 75years actually. His name was Philip Irving (an Australian), the man behind the legendary HRD Vincent. Now whilst your version differs visually, mechanically in principle it is virtually identical with regards to pivot and anchor points on the cantilevered swing-arm. There were acouple of variants, but the images are self descriptive.

Take a detailed look at the seat geometry and mechanics of these machines, firstly the 1935 500cc Comet, and latterly the 1000cc Shadow.

In essence having prefaced the above, you’ve been vindicated and your protagonist detractors are in err claiming it simply won’t work. So wrong, wrong, wrong, they need to have a slice of ‘humble pie’.

The Irving Vincent lives....https://www.irvingvincent.com/
Oh Man! Those are gorgeous bikes!

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Hi @Retro Rocket 48,

Thanks for that great post, great fun mate and very interesting too.

Yes those Vincents, what stunners. One of the all time classics and lovely to see these.

From an aesthetic view, I have always loved the solo sprung saddle. It's not rocket science, just some added comfort under ones butt. I will attach a photo of a Harley I had back in the 1980's that I fitted a sprung seat to.

Just to update on my own project; I took off my sprung seat this week (and all the bolt-on fittings) in preparation for dropping it off tomorrow. So this last week I re-fitted and have been riding on my fixed floating seat. This has given me a good comparison, i.e. going back to a fixed seat. And to be honest I was quite surprised at how jarring the fixed seat feels after riding with the sprung seat for a while.

Yes the Wilbers does a great job but every large and unexpected bump does make a significant impact on the bike. While riding with the sprung seat it seemed to just soak up and nullify all these little impacts.

So I can't wait to get this project done this week and get that sprung seat back on. And as promised a full and honest review will follow.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
So,, I've been trying to stay out of this discussion, really really trying :D.

But, Here the thing, If you compare Roy's seat configuration to that of noise cancellation theory. The compression/decompression cycle of the suspension, acting on the frame and swing arm, it is basically the same as that of a regular sound sine wave. By suspending the seat across the peaks and valleys of that motion, the seat acts opposite the the motion of the frame, effectively canceled out the motion imparted to the frame, just like a sound cancellation wave acts opposite to a sound wave, cancelling out the pressure wave that effects you ear drum.

In the normal Bobber sprung seat configuration, the seat springs work in concert with the motion of the frame, effectively mimicking the motion, and in some cases, depending on the springs, can even amplify that motion causing the launch that is a common concern with sprung seats.

Kudo's Roy!

·
Super Moderator
868 Posts
Vincents… Built in Stevenage until the year I was born... They were road tested at 6 Mile Bottom on the Newmarket Road up to 100mph according to legend...

Reactions: Roy

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I always though the later (Black Shadow) engines by Vincent were some of the best looking engines ever made.

They almost look organic and other worldly, well as much as a lump of metal can.

Totally stunning in every respect. Surprised no one as revamped the marque.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
815 Posts
Stephen Hawking is alive and well....:surprise:

That's a great explanation mate. Not sure I understand it fully but 'yes' what he said....:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy
:laugh::laugh: Hardly! :laugh:

I just get why it works better than a floating seat, or the "normal" spring seat set up.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts