Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
genuinely took 5 minutes to install and made the engine much smoother at lower revs. I’ve been struggling with the low rev snatching since I got the bobber (first fuel injection I’ve owned) and the power booster has definitely cured it.

Throttle seems to be more responsive so acceleration feels a little quicker but that could just be because I haven’t rode out for a few weeks due to bad weather. I was going to take it over the mountain course (no speed limit) to see if it made any difference to top end but it was a wee bit chilly so I’ll leave that for a warmer day.

Based on this afternoons ride I would say it’s $150 well spent

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-triumph-bonneville-698p.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
id be interested in knowing more about this once you've put some miles on. I definitely struggle with the issues you mentioned at low speeds, especially during my city commute. Thanks for posting and i look forward to hearing how you like these after a bit of riding on em!

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
What is it? I read the webpage, and they talk about it taking your bike from OK to absolutely marvelous, but they don't say what is actually does. What does it do?

- P

·
Registered
360 Posts
It would seem to me that it is an additional ATS (air temperature sensor) sitting piggy-back to the original one; albeit with some extra electronics.

Thanks to Ancient Hippy for posting this.

mike

Edit: There is more info on the web-site, interesting reading.

·
Registered
360 Posts
genuinely took 5 minutes to install and made the engine much smoother at lower revs. I’ve been struggling with the low rev snatching since I got the bobber (first fuel injection I’ve owned) and the power booster has definitely cured it.

Throttle seems to be more responsive so acceleration feels a little quicker but that could just be because I haven’t rode out for a few weeks due to bad weather. I was going to take it over the mountain course (no speed limit) to see if it made any difference to top end but it was a wee bit chilly so I’ll leave that for a warmer day.

Where did you fit the new sensor?

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
It basically tricks the air temp sensor into thinking the engine is running cooler than it actually is. Therefore the ECU adds a bit more fuel to the lower revs.

Similar to how the bike runs before it's up to full temp, smoother throttle response.
I've run this unit on two different bikes. Worked for me just as advertised.

BMW riders love this kit

·
Registered
363 Posts

This looks intriguing! Been looking for something like this to help out with my aftermarket exhaust. Could you post some pictures of how and where you mounted the sensor? Thanks! Any loss in gas mileage though? If it's minimal, I could definitely get on board with this mod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you fit the new sensor?

Cheers!
mike
I threaded it under where the shock is fixed to the frame to the right side where I have a swing arm bag. I then fixed the cable with one of the bags leather straps.

There’s enough cable to give you plenty of options for locating it at the rear end. Interestingly the instructions said the preferred location is under the headlight but they don’t supply it with enough cable to travel that far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This looks intriguing! Been looking for something like this to help out with my aftermarket exhaust. Could you post some pictures of how and where you mounted the sensor? Thanks! Any loss in gas mileage though? If it's minimal, I could definitely get on board with this mod.
Not done enough miles with it to confirm but the designer claims the average loss of mpg is 2%

With our small tanks that would mean filling up after 108 miles instead 110, no real hardship.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not done enough miles with it to confirm but the designer claims the average loss of mpg is 2%

With our small tanks that would mean filling up after 108 miles instead 110, no real hardship.
cool thanks! good to know you don't have to mount the sensor up by the headlight, as it seems to be working out mounted in the rear. plus i was worried about having extra wires and stuff up at the front to mess up the clean look. cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Other than a little more fuel usage, a little less mpg, are there other possible adverse affects to tricking the system? The engine certainly does get warm still, will the fans still kick on when needed, etc....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I threaded it under where the shock is fixed to the frame to the right side where I have a swing arm bag. I then fixed the cable with one of the bags leather straps.

There’s enough cable to give you plenty of options for locating it at the rear end. Interestingly the instructions said the preferred location is under the headlight but they don’t supply it with enough cable to travel that far.
Thanks mate:wink2:

mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Other than a little more fuel usage, a little less mpg, are there other possible adverse affects to tricking the system?
No, I don't think so.
This device just allows the engine to run a little richer, making it run smoother and less jerky in town or slower traffic. Throttle response should also be better.
The engine will still get up to normal running temp. The thermostat and fans will still function as normal, because they are governed by the overall engine temp.

I had a power commander on my Harley Night Rod which also made the engine run richer, and it was fine with it; same temperature behavior etc. as before.

I'm gonna get one of these and look forward to seeing a nice brown/tan colour on the spark plugs:wink2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I don't think so.
This device just allows the engine to run a little richer, making it run smoother and less jerky in town or slower traffic. Throttle response should also be better.
The engine will still get up to normal running temp. The thermostat and fans will still function as normal, because they are governed by the overall engine temp.
That describes the difference the booster plug has made perfectly. Ran a couple of errands around town on it this afternoon and it’s now so much better in slow moving traffic.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts