Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed the first service today. Using Motul 300V oil.
Chain was loose and the mechanic went over all the bolts too. Said that some were slightly loose and needed some gentle tightening.
Gearchanges feels great and seem to click in to place better, especially at high(er) RPM. Smoother than before.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I generally change the oil myself, but if all the Bobbers need to have the chains tightened then it may as well be brought to a mechanic. Unless you know how to do it yourself of course.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I generally change the oil myself, but if all the Bobbers need to have the chains tightened then it may as well be brought to a mechanic. Unless you know how to do it yourself of course.
Chain will definitely need adjusting (mine was adjusted with me off, then ON the bike to get the perfect amount of free play)
And the chassis bolts, etc should get a once over during the first service at least.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Never hurts to get first service done at the dealers so they can go through everything and then you can take it away from there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally passed 500 miles on mine and am definitely needing chain adjusted. I'm curious to see what we're paying for this first service?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally passed 500 miles on mine and am definitely needing chain adjusted. I'm curious to see what we're paying for this first service?
Its a glorified oil change.
The running in oil is slightly different to the standard oil - so it needs to be changed.
The rest is the usual; change oil filter, liquid checks, pressures and adjust/tight/lube bolts & chain.
There is nothing special about the first service.
*Best to lube the clutch/lever, footstand, etc as sometimes this was not done in production.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oil Change Filter Kit

I am going to performing the 500 mile oil change soon and came across this link. It is a filter kit. I tightened the chain at about 300 miles. It was up to about 2" of slack. Not a big deal to tighten it - 12mm and 13mm open face are the adjustment wrench sizes. I thought I would share the filter kit link for anyone interested.

Triumph Genuine Parts Oil Filter Kit T1218001/3550605

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am going to performing the 500 mile oil change soon and came across this link. It is a filter kit. I tightened the chain at about 300 miles. It was up to about 2" of slack. Not a big deal to tighten it - 12mm and 13mm open face are the adjustment wrench sizes. I thought I would share the filter kit link for anyone interested.

Triumph Genuine Parts Oil Filter Kit T1218001/3550605
Will this filter work on bobber?

·
Registered
459 Posts

:wink2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to ride an hour to the dealer today to pay $300 for my first service. :rolleyes: Still, I want to have dealer eyes on for at least the first service.

Reactions: Louie

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I have to ride an hour to the dealer today to pay $300 for my first service. :rolleyes: Still, I want to have dealer eyes on for at least the first service.
Was the same distance for me, and the same cost. I also adhered to the manual with regards to RPMs, etc, so it was nice to play around with it after the service was done.

·
Registered
459 Posts
the price (300$ ) is pretty close to what we pay in France :crying:

now .. it remains very expensive for some liters of oil out of the 100 liter can and an oil filter :frown2:
no illusion .. they do not do anything more..but this stamp of guarantee ..>:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
1st service free in UK (well no labour just 60 odd quid for oil, filter and crush washer).

One thing they missed totally on mine were the header bolts, fairly sure if you touch them lightly with your finger tip, they shouldn't spin freely!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've done lots of first service procedures myself on other machines but decided to take the Bobber back to the dealer for its first service.

I went in yesterday and waited for the service to be done. Unfortunately, this shop doesn't allow customers in so I can't say what they actually did or didn't do. The ticket says oil & filter change, chain adjust & lube, clutch and throttle freeplay adjust, chassis bolt tightening and check for error codes with maintenance reminder reset. Hopefully they did everything they should have. The price with tax was $285

I have the DealerTool now so from now on I'll do the routine maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Costs of services

I am also very curious about the services.

The dealership told me about the service breakdown as follows:
1st service @ 600 miles. Approximate $500
2nd Service @6000 miles. Approximate $1200 for valve adjustments
3rd service @12000 miles.

Do you think the costs vary by location in USA?

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
My first Service was £39.59... UK dealers I think keep money back from the sale price to pay for the labour. That was just oil, filter and consumables

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first service was 221,- EUR including labour, done at the Triumph dealership.

It was 1.2 hours for the 800km service, 0.5 hours for the oil change and about 65 EUR for oil + filter + washer.
They handed me the protocol + printouts for the "800 km service" part - it's basically rechecking all fluids, chain tension, and re-checking and re-fastening a couple of bolts, and running the Triumph diagnostic tool / autoscan which will read out ECM + ABS + immobilizer errors, warm up the engine, perform throttle adjustment and validate if all the adjustment values are within tolerance.

The dealership told me about the service breakdown as follows:
1st service @ 600 miles. Approximate $500
2nd Service @6000 miles. Approximate $1200 for valve adjustments
3rd service @12000 miles.
Hmm... in Europe, valve adjustment is only due every 32.000 km according to Triumph's maintenance plan.
The "regular service" (oil change etc) is due annually or every 16.000 km whichever happens first.

I was told to expect roughly 200 EUR for the annual service and 500 EUR for the 32k/64k/... ones since they include valve adjustment, spark plug replacement etc.

Main cost driver here is labor at 89 EUR/hour at the Triumph dealership. For reference, independent bike shops are at 50-60 EUR/hour here.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
UK labour is more like £90/hour, even out in the sticks...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts