Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bobbers,

So I got Bobbie home from the dealers late last night, 20 or so miles of pretty much commuting type riding. Today was the first chance to let her off the leash!

I am so happy that I traded my TBird for the Bob. The TBird was wonderful, but Bobbie is just marvelous. So compact, light and responsive. Simply the most fun I've had on a bike for a long time.

The engine is a real peach, and it's not even run in yet! I am amazed at the feel of this brand new engine. It has torque everywhere. Third gear is like having an automatic! Get it into 6th at 70 MPH and it just rumbles along.

Braking is great. I know the single disk gets comments, but I think it's very well braked. Nice front/back balance, no head-shaking under heavy braking. No grab, just pull all you want.

The clutch is fantastic! I originally posted here because the TBird was cumbersome below 5 MPH, but Bobbie just loves it there. The low speed agility is awesome.

The fuel gauge took me by surprise. I always ride with Trip A reset after each fueling. At 45 miles, the fuel gauge hadn't moved, and I was wondering if it was working. Then at ~48 miles, it dropped two bars! Did the same at ~68 miles. It that what everyone sees, no movement then drop by 2 bars? It's not a problem, but I was expecting it to go down one bar at a time (much like me).

I got 82 miles before the reserve light came on, which was 42 miles/gallon of pretty spirited riding with a new engine. It took 1.7 US gallons to fill up, so had about a half gallon left. By the end of the day, the fuel mileage average was up to 46 mpg, so I'm hoping to see into the 50s once she's run it.

So, first day in and I'm totaly loving it!

- Pasta

·
Registered
136 Posts
Different jump going from a T-Bird. I also had a 2010 T-Bird and now a Bobber. They're really 2 different animals, e.g., rode my T-Bird on an Iron Butt, but would never try it on a Bobber.

Enjoyed reading your post. Glad you didn't have braking problems since I did, but it's tremendously better having some miles on it.

As for the tank, I'm ignoring the bars and all and am just going on miles ridden to give me a ballpark of when to fill up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got 82 miles before the reserve light came on, which was 42 miles/gallon of pretty spirited riding with a new engine. It took 1.7 US gallons to fill up, so had about a half gallon left. By the end of the day, the fuel mileage average was up to 46 mpg, so I'm hoping to see into the 50s once she's run it.
My first tank was far and away my least fuel-efficient at 41.63 mpg. Just over 2k miles in, and my overall average is currently 53.67 mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Different jump going from a T-Bird. I also had a 2010 T-Bird and now a Bobber. They're really 2 different animals, e.g., rode my T-Bird on an Iron Butt, but would never try it on a Bobber.

Enjoyed reading your post. Glad you didn't have braking problems since I did, but it's tremendously better having some miles on it.

As for the tank, I'm ignoring the bars and all and am just going on miles ridden to give me a ballpark of when to fill up.
So what do you think a tank ballpark is with combined riding? 100 miles? I also have been going a little light respecting the break in a little.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first tank was far and away my least fuel-efficient at 41.63 mpg. Just over 2k miles in, and my overall average is currently 53.67 mpg.
Yep, I'm expecting fuel consumption to get better as the engine breaks in. Average consumption at first fueling was 42 mpg, at second was 46 :)

- P

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, I'm expecting fuel consumption to get better as the engine breaks in. Average consumption at first fueling was 42 mpg, at second was 46 :)
Yeah, my second tank was 51.82 mpg, a considerable improvement. My best to-date is 72.58 mpg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So what do you think a tank ballpark is with combined riding? 100 miles? I also have been going a little light respecting the break in a little.
Pretty close to 100 miles. The farthest I got before whimping out to fill up was 98.7 mpg. Think I read in the owner's manual that you're not suppose to get too low. I'm averaging about 75-76 miles between stops. I'd be more confident going farther with a swing-arm bag (that I'm planning to get) and with the breathable gas container I've got, that's a carry-over from my T-100 days.

Have had the bike since 27 July this year, and it's averaging 53.2 mpg (highest was 68.6; lowest, 44.8). There doesn't seem to be ANY consistency between the break-in period and now (have 1173 last fill up), but putting around town to check the mail drags it down, while riding with others or consistently doing 70-75 all affects what I get.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Treeman

·
Registered
608 Posts
Averaging 42mpg ish on the commute in and out of town each day (30 odd sets of lights and a grand prix start from each set lol)

Reactions: Psychopasta

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow thats some pretty impressive miles per gallon ratings. Are you all doing a manual calculation or going off what the bike mpg shows? I know most all the bike ratings are inaccurate.

As much as I enjoy this Bobber, not being a commuter for me, it really doesn't matter much.

·
Registered
608 Posts
10 miles each way into/back from work, usually get 4 days out of a tank when the dash is saying single digits left, usually stick in 8.5L thats about 40 to 45 to the gallon allowing for a little deviation (Uk gallons - 4.5L to a gallon)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts