Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello bobber folk,

I've been using this forum for the past few months, great help all around. figured i'd post a project i just wrapped in case anyone was looking to do something similar. I wanted a raw patina tank and the badges (hate the current bobber tank with the just type/stickers or nothing at all), so I scored a used one on ebay.

1. Stripped it (2 month process of sanding and scraping)
  2. Scored some 3M badges from Dime City, they weren't sure if they'd actually fit, but luckily they fit perfectly
  3. Mounted them and taped em off (took awhile to get alignment correct)
  4. Applied the patinas from Sculpt Nouveau, 2 of them, a Japanese brown and Black magic for the details around the edges
  5. Then came the real bitch, the tank swap. For those that haven't done it, its quite a process, as the fuel pump is in the tank along with the fuel level gauge attached to an in the tank bracket that is really hard to get to. Took about 4.5 hours of trial and error, you need to lube the pump with gas before trying to put back in as its super tight fitting and has to go back in exactly as it came out..
I've attached some pics for reference, love the new look but it was quite a project..
thx,
Shawn

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is that a triumph shortened rear fender with the stock license plate mount? I like the look. I have the short rear fender with side mount plate but looking for different plate location options. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Welcome to the site! Love the look, especially in conjunction with the white walls. Did you seal it after you got the patina the way you wanted it, or will it continue to patina over time?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sweeeeet!..... I never heard of buying "patina" I thought it was something acquired after decades. I assume from the pics it is some kind of paint! Gorgeous result anyway!>:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is art, Shawn. Curious about two things. Well, three. What is the patina you speak of, product, application etc. Two, who did you get the badges from? I tried a google search but came up empty and three, was an acid etch, corrosion, patina ever tried? I have thought of this process before you posted your work.

Thanks and you have a talent!

·
Registered
791 Posts
That is art, Shawn. Curious about two things. Well, three. What is the patina you speak of, product, application etc. Two, who did you get the badges from? I tried a google search but came up empty and three, was an acid etch, corrosion, patina ever tried? I have thought of this process before you posted your work.

Thanks and you have a talent!
According to his post he bought the badges from Dime City Cycles. >:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the badges are from Dime City, they are 3M so no need to weld in nuts to the tank.
Link here: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-fuel-tank-parts-triumph-plastic-tank-badge-right-side-t3900524.html

I did order and try the new speedmaster badges too, as i preferred that look. But they are pretty heavy metal, and while they have 3M, they also have bolts, and I think you'd need the bolts given their weight.

As far as the patinas, i used https://sculptnouveau.com/

They make a wide variety of metal patinas and finishes. I used the Japanese Brown for the base look, it gives it a rust color. Then i applied the Black Magic around the edges and front to give it that weathered from travel look that my other tank has naturally. It came out pretty awesome.

I did the cold patina approach, you can also do a hot patina using either of those too. But seemed a bit tougher and since it was my first time i went easy path.

They come in a spray bottle, you just spray it on and its starts working immediately. You then spray on water to neutralize it once you get the desired effect.

I left it raw and apply Penetrol monthly to the tank, it keeps it the way i like it and will stop/slow any rust continuation. It also gives it a clear coat look though, which isn't what i had in mind but not bothersome after getting used to it.

And since i didn't strip or tweak anything on the underside, i don't have to worry about that part. I can just keep up maintainence on the top of the tank etc. Not that it really needs much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is the short rear fender, though it/was a custom rear license plate mount. It just failed though, so i'm putting in the swingarm side mount. Not ideal, but way safer.

the metal that holds the bracket failed a week ago and it pulled the license plate and bracket into the wheel well, luckily i was doing 20mph and the bracket went left vs right. If i had been doing highway speeds and it went right (chain side) i'd probably not be writing this..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts