Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, in the interest of full disclosure, all of the ideas/plans I had for my Bobber were formulated long before I joined this forum. So, if I've duplicated anyone's ideas, it was purely coincidental. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When the Bobber was introduced last year and we got our first batch here at the shop, I immediately liked it. However, after a few days, I started to take a good look at it and began to see certain design elements that I thought didn't necessarily fit the bike, i.e. headlight and fuel tank. So, when talking about the Bobber, I'd end the conversation with "if I had one, I'd do this, this, this, that, etc.. to it". So, last November I decided it was time to put up or shut up. So I pulled the trigger and bought one.

The first photo (Red tank) is when I took the photo for the bike’s ad on our website. The second two are the “New and Improved” Bobber.

So, what did I end up doing to it?

Triumph Thunderbird LT headlight bucket
JW Speaker LED (angle sensing) Headlight
Triumph T120 fuel tank - Stripped of paint, clear coated and added the old-style tank badges and Monza-style gas cap
Hand made stainless steel & pigskin wrapped tank strap
Rizoma mirrors
Triumph Cruise Control & Heated Grips
Hand made Crescent Wrench shifter
Hand made Brass battery box cover & strap
Hand made Tool pouch
K&N filters with silicon hose intakes and custom brackets
K&N crankcase breather
Oil-Temp oil filler plug
Old-style STOP rear tail light
Custom shortened front and rear fenders, with tail light & turn signals mounted on fender support
Custom license plate mount

With the exception of the Fender work and the welding (fender support & shifter), all the hand made items were done by me. I wanted a more garage-built/handmade look to it. So, a special shout out goes to HardCore Choppers in Sterling VA for the fender work and Mach V auto in Sterling VA for the welding.

This is a link to a slideshow that shows the process I went through doing the work:
"http://s754.photobucket.com/user/MattAltieri/slideshow/Bobber"

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's a bobbed Bobber. Great work. May I ask, what K&N filters/kit did you get? How did you handle covering the electronics? Also, do you need a fuel controller for more air flow? Thanks and great job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a bobbed Bobber. Great work. May I ask, what K&N filters/kit did you get? How did you handle covering the electronics? Also, do you need a fuel controller for more air flow? Thanks and great job.
Thank you. The K&N's are for a Triumph Modern Classic, i.e. T120 from British Customs. They state there's a left & right, but look identical. As for the electronics, I haven't done anything other than make a leather cover for the fuse boxes. They were semi-exposed before, so they should be okay on sunny days. I also haven't messed with a fuel controller. Gets up and cruises nicely at 2700 rpm in any gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Fantastic job.
I wish I had the skill to hand make & fabricate parts. So my hat goes off to you, sir !

A pleasure to see specially modded Bobbers!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Whoa! If Triumph ever holds a Bobber customized design competition, you will win hands down. If not, they should use yours as a prototype and build one themselves. Great work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Really like the tank and headlight. I have issues with the tail/brake light. I would have tucked it lower, closer to the fender. BUT it's a beautiful bike and would like it in my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Great looking bike! Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing pics of your travels and any other changes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
0:)
huge work and very well done.
even if I am not in love with all the modifications, I respect and appreciate the quality of the work and also that the initial idea succeeds.0:)
what is more enjoyable than reading the satisfaction of a happy comrade with his motorcycle.
congratulations for ideas and work :wink2:

Reactions: MikeB and ysoslo

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can't help but think that the designers at Triumph didn't have you in mind when coming up with a basic concept (i.e, a good foundation from which to modify to one's own).

It's neat to finally get finished with a project and render it for those who would appreciate the ideas-to-reality (chopped a Superglide back in the late 70s). Nice link to the process, also. I found it interesting that you started your modifications from the very beginnings, out of concept. I would have never done that. I have to have it for awhile before tinkering, but this shows you how different minds work.

Loved how the side panels are gone, and the battery box cover and strap is a very nice touch. Really like the temp-oil plug.

Be honest with you, I'm not a fan of the shape of gas tank and now know why the designers kept to a smaller one (which will help me with my problem of stopping for gas so often).

Nonetheless, great job and appreciate you sharing.

Reactions: ysoslo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi CPORet,

....it feels good when your plan comes together.....well done.

...a question for you.....does a T120 tank fit straight on with no mods or cutting and shutting?

Best regards,

Billybobber

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi CPORet,

....it feels good when your plan comes together.....well done.

...a question for you.....does a T120 tank fit straight on with no mods or cutting and shutting?

Best regards,

Billybobber
There is another member on the forum who did the T120 tank mod as well, and like him you do have to flare out the welded flange at the front of the tank out a bit for it to slide on. Not much though. I used a pair of pliers and gently bent the weld flange back. At the back end, you have to cut off the T120 frame mount from the rear of the tank. You can still use the original tank's rear mount, but it won't bolt to the tank. It will keep the tank level, and does have the rubber mounts for vibration. You'll have to either have a pair of bolts welded to the underside, or like I did, use a tank strap to keep the tank on the bike.

The fuel pump assy is the same as the T120, and bolts right up. You will see a bit of an anomaly with the MPG number though. Until the fuel level sensor gets to the point where it starts reading, the gauge will show 99.9 mpg.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't help but think that the designers at Triumph didn't have you in mind when coming up with a basic concept (i.e, a good foundation from which to modify to one's own).

It's neat to finally get finished with a project and render it for those who would appreciate the ideas-to-reality (chopped a Superglide back in the late 70s). Nice link to the process, also. I found it interesting that you started your modifications from the very beginnings, out of concept. I would have never done that. I have to have it for awhile before tinkering, but this shows you how different minds work.

Loved how the side panels are gone, and the battery box cover and strap is a very nice touch. Really like the temp-oil plug.

Be honest with you, I'm not a fan of the shape of gas tank and now know why the designers kept to a smaller one (which will help me with my problem of stopping for gas so often).

Nonetheless, great job and appreciate you sharing.
Thank you!

Looking back on it, I probably should have just ridden it until the 500 mi service, then start. However, I bought it in November, and shortly after the weather went to crap. Ultimately, I had WAY too much time on my hands.............

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you!

Looking back on it, I probably should have just ridden it until the 500 mi service, then start. However, I bought it in November, and shortly after the weather went to crap. Ultimately, I had WAY too much time on my hands.............
Believe me: I know. Lived in Stafford for 5 years while stationed in DC & Quantico. Good use of down time, for sure.

Reactions: Stevemcqueen005!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts