Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve completed the final version of my seat upgrade. I ended up using 5” springs mounted to some right angle brackets. The seat is from La Rosa, one of their off the shelf seats as opposed to the specific bobber ones.

The seat can move up and down so it’s very comfortable, particularly on rough roads, and I think it adds a classic bobber look.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Stunning! I'm going to look into this, due to the how jarring the roads are around NoVA. There is so much new construction around here, even the mainline roads are a mess.

How did the front of the seat attach? Did you have to modify a bracket for it, or did you use what was available on the bike and La Rosa? Good job!

·
Registered
306 Posts
What's it like at speed over bumps? I may be wrong but I'm imagining the seat crashing onto the frame followed by the rider getting catapulted off the bike with the combined rebound of the seat springs and suspension!

·
Registered
364 Posts
What's it like at speed over bumps? I may be wrong but I'm imagining the seat crashing onto the frame followed by the rider getting catapulted off the bike with the combined rebound of the seat springs and suspension!
!

Hahahaha... I'd pay to see that! :smile2:

But not with anyone here on the forum....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Like this, good job mate, you've won me over. The black springs as opposed to chrome compliment the retro brief..........seriously contemplating going up the same path but was a little concerned about the seat pan rear bolt displacement and spring alignment to frame . Almost? 'plug-n-play'. Definitely going the same way. Did you use the La Rosa hinge or some other proprietary item.

I prefer the distressed leather look myself, was waiting for the missus to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, but that never happened! still sitting in my 'add to cart' wish list.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like this, good job mate, you've won me over. The black springs as opposed to chrome compliment the retro brief..........seriously contemplating going up the same path but was a little concerned about the seat pan rear bolt displacement and spring alignment to frame . Almost? 'plug-n-play'. Definitely going the same way. Did you use the La Rosa hinge or some other proprietary item.

I prefer the distressed leather look myself, was waiting for the missus to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, but that never happened! still sitting in my 'add to cart' wish list.
With you on this dude, the distressed leather looks awesome. I'm after the same style seat with that exact patina to the leather.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did the front of the seat attach? Did you have to modify a bracket for it, or did you use what was available on the bike and La Rosa?
I used the La Rosa supplied mounting bar and bolted it through through the space where the existing seat attaches. (Attached photo shows this better). The only modification I did to the front of the seat mount was to drill the holes in the La Rosa mounting bar out to 10mm. This meant when I used a 10mm bolt the front didn’t move around from side to side.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, well that hasn’t happened yet! I inadvertently hit some pot holes at speed the first time I took it out and the jolts I felt were less than with the stock seat.

The shock absorber still does the majority of the work, the seat springs just add a small bounce and the force of the rebound is nowhere near enough to catapult rider off bike.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I’ve completed the final version of my seat upgrade. I ended up using 5” springs mounted to some right angle brackets. The seat is from La Rosa, one of their off the shelf seats as opposed to the specific bobber ones.

The seat can move up and down so it’s very comfortable, particularly on rough roads, and I think it adds a classic bobber look.
Could you put a link to the parts you bought?? I’m in the UK so it’d be expensive to get the wrong stuff shipped out..:smile2:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Triumph went to a lot of trouble to create a "floating" seat effect. For me that is a signature design feature of the Bobber. I wouldn't want to negate that effort.

Chico

·
Registered
239 Posts
Triumph went to a lot of trouble to create a "floating" seat effect. For me that is a signature design feature of the Bobber. I wouldn't want to negate that effort.

Chico
I agree in part with your sentiment. The Bobber is unique and they got it right first time, proven by the sales figures but also question why the seat mount and pivot was so over engineered. Would be interesting to see some of the original concept design sketches. Did they have something else in mind, maybe an accessory spring seat option?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts

Chico
Hi Chico,

I'm going to be 'controversial' and both agree and disagree. I think for a modern take on a Bobber, your comments are spot on, can't disagree at all. However for my personal preference the design harks back to more classic or vintage designs and has given me the opportunity to create something more specific to my taste without the expensive of a complete build.

So both points of view are correct depending on one's personal preference. That the fact that the Bobber speaks to both You and I (and so many others) is a wonderful testament to it's design.

Great to have different points of view though, keeps it interesting.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
758 Posts

Chico
I agree in part with your sentiment. The Bobber is unique and they got it right first time, proven by the sales figures but also question why the seat mount and pivot was so over engineered. Would be interesting to see some of the original concept design sketches. Did they have something else in mind, maybe an accessory spring seat option?
I have to say, when I saw the first pictures, I thought it was a spring seat of some sort. You are probably Right RR about them having something else in mind with the original design.

I'm with Chico on this one though, the "floating seat" look is kind of the Bobbers signature.

What would be really sweet is if someone could figure out how to create a swivel/spring arrangement for where the seat bar mounts, enabling the stock hardware to move and absorb some of the leftover shock. I don't think it would take much, maybe an inch of travel at the front of the seat where the stock bar mounts. I have thought about tackling it but I don't have access to the tooling necessary to make it happen.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Would be interesting to see some of the original concept design sketches. Did they have something else in mind, maybe an accessory spring seat option?
Triumph did look at building the Bobber with a sprung seat, as can be seen on this early prototype on display at the factory museum. But I'm glad they didn't, I'm with Chico I much prefer the floating seat and having owned a Harley with a sprung seat in my experience they don't do much to aid comfort! The springs were so stiff on the 48 they hardly moved unless you hit a pot hole and then they might of helped a little??? >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts

Chico
Only line on the whole bike I didn't like was the floating seat, I wanted the retro look.
A simple toolbag solved the issue for me and many others!

Hi Chico,

I'm going to be 'controversial' and both agree and disagree. I think for a modern take on a Bobber, your comments are spot on, can't disagree at all. However for my personal preference the design harks back to more classic or vintage designs and has given me the opportunity to create something more specific to my taste without the expensive of a complete build.

So both points of view are correct depending on one's personal preference. That the fact that the Bobber speaks to both You and I (and so many others) is a wonderful testament to it's design.

Great to have different points of view though, keeps it interesting.

Cheerio,

Roy
The only line on the whole bike I didn't like was the floating seat, a simple toolbag solved the issue for me and many others!

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts

Chico
I agree with Chico but Gilbert's sprung seat is very nicely done. Plus it makes it more likely that the bike is mistaken for one from yesteryear, which I love (for various reasons, including "sleepers"). Imagine tooling around town on Trirocket 3's seemingly prim and proper "Blobber" while hiding his crazy extra horsepower and having some redneck in a Camaro start revving his engine next to you at a stoplight. How much fun would it be to light him up on a bike he thought was made 70 years ago?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts