Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to California. California (and other states) has a fuel nozzle that must seal with your tank. I can't stick the nozzle far enough into the tank to make the nozzle seal. Is there a trick to filling up? What do you do?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just moved to California. California (and other states) has a fuel nozzle that must seal with your tank. I can't stick the nozzle far enough into the tank to make the nozzle seal. Is there a trick to filling up? What do you do?
I use a two handed approach. One hand pulls up on the nozzle to imitate a seal effect. The other hand pulls the trigger while the nozzle hovers over the opening. I don't rely on the auto stop feature. Instead, monitor when you're getting close and modulate the trigger to slow the flow of fuel like you're topping off at the end or fuel will spill all over your tank.

Not sure if a monza gas cap will provide the space needed for a proper seal.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
if you mean that longer rubber gasket meant to minimize gas fumes, @Niiick is pretty much right about the technique. You pull it up with one hand which slightly reveals more of the spout, then hover it into the tank. you’ll know it’s far enough in when the trigger lets the gas flow. i also don’t rely on auto shut off but do it visually to avoid overspill. and yes, it works fine with a monza cap.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wrap some paper towel around the nozzle and make a fist over the tank with my left. Then depress against the left fist (with my right hand on the trigger). I stop frequently to avoid spillage. Also helps minimize splashing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a two handed approach. One hand pulls up on the nozzle to imitate a seal effect. The other hand pulls the trigger while the nozzle hovers over the opening. I don't rely on the auto stop feature. Instead, monitor when you're getting close and modulate the trigger to slow the flow of fuel like you're topping off at the end or fuel will spill all over your tank.

2nd this

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Bobber tank has an opening below the Monza cap, or any other cap, exactly the size of the unleaded gas nozzle at the station. Pull back on the rubber collar of the gas nozzle, insert into tank opening and make sure it fits in the hole. It shuts off automatically when full. I don't wave or hover the nozzle, it fits perfectly in the hole. In NJ there are stations with and without the sealing collar, newer ones have eliminated the collar and still shut off automatically. Pop your tank cap and look in there, you'll see an opening that only fits the station nozzle. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
This is interesting. I haven't been to CA on a bike in many years. Are these nozzles new?

Any chance someone has a picture so I can get a mental image of them for when I run into them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is interesting. I haven't been to CA on a bike in many years. Are these nozzles new?

Any chance someone has a picture so I can get a mental image of them for when I run into them.
Appears the EPA was phasing these out beginning in 2012, but then CA is unique. They're called vapor-reducing gas nozzles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We still have them at older gas stations in New Jersey but the newer or upgraded gas stations do not have them anymore. They are a pain to use.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Bobber tank has an opening below the Monza cap, or any other cap, exactly the size of the unleaded gas nozzle at the station. Pull back on the rubber collar of the gas nozzle, insert into tank opening and make sure it fits in the hole. It shuts off automatically when full. I don't wave or hover the nozzle, it fits perfectly in the hole. In NJ there are stations with and without the sealing collar, newer ones have eliminated the collar and still shut off automatically. Pop your tank cap and look in there, you'll see an opening that only fits the station nozzle. Just my $.02
The problem with that is you can't top off. And on a bike with THIS small a tank, if you haven't swapped out to a Speedmaster tank, you'd better top off, despite all the advice not to do so. This looks like a cheap solution that will allow you to get another couple ounces of fuel in:

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I have that plastic "gas card," looks exactly the same, but I found it on eBay because Aerostich was out of stock. Aerostich also has this metal one, which I also have. I like the metal one a bit more. Either option I can carry in my wallet. To most, I'm sure it seems like overkill to carry this, but I find it's just a lot easier having this little gadget in my pocket. It's also a simple gift to give other riders, so I carry a few.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Lifelong Californian here. Born and raised in Los Angeles. Like Niiick, this is how I fill, and have filled, my bikes here in CA. Is it inconvenient? Yes. A “big deal”? That’s for you to decide for yourself. I’ve been doing it for decades and don’t even think about it any more.

FWIW - I temporarily relocated to central Florida and was surprised to find that filling my 2009 Triumph Street Triple 675 was noticeably easier because I didn’t have to do what I did in CA. That said, the riding here in SoCal is SO much better an experience compared to C. Florida, that the extra tiny hassle at the pumps is worth it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The card does seem a little extra but we all fuel up more than average, so anything to make the experience less annoying is helpful. Awkward locking cap + awkward CA fuel pump + occasional spill/cleanup/smell can be cumbersome.

I had a good laugh at this video :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have been riding for almost 40 years. But I have never had a locking gas cap.

My first fill on the bobber I spent a good minute copying this guy,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts