Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left front indicator on my Bobber died this morning. I'm assuming it's just the unit, but no harm asking on here if it might be down to something else. The left rear flashes double quick. The right hand indicators are fine.

I was a bit worried as I've heard that all the Bonneville range can suffer from a loom issue and dodgt indicators are the first symptom, but I'm sure that's usually they simply don't work at all. A friend has a new Street Cup and that needed a new look at 700 miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope - they are LEDs. I've checked it an it's working intermittently. When you turn the bars it works then doesn't. I think this is the same wiring issue that has caused recalls on other Bonneville models. The loom near the headstock is a bit tight and it breaks. The first sign is indicator problems. Bugger. I'm not sure if the dealership is open with all this pandemic thing going on.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nope - they are LEDs. I've checked it an it's working intermittently. When you turn the bars it works then doesn't. I think this is the same wiring issue that has caused recalls on other Bonneville models. The loom near the headstock is a bit tight and it breaks. The first sign is indicator problems. Bugger. I'm not sure if the dealership is open with all this pandemic thing going on.
its probably just a loose connector..pop the tank back and reconnect it , 10 min job

·
Registered
115 Posts
As others have said the connectors work themselves loose - they are nestled in the headstock under the tank, accessible from the left hand side of the bike (as you sit on it) - no need to fully remove the tank just unbolt the tank and slide it back then lift it up and support with a thick towel underneath whilst you check the connections. Once they are connected properly just clean the connectors and tape them up to stop them working loose again in the future.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've fiddled with the wires without actually moving the tank and it seems to be working now. There was a lot of slack in the indicator wiring that ran under the tank, but very tight at the end near the indicator itself. I'll just have to take it out tomorrow and see if it behaves itself.

If you're right about the connectors then my pulling the wiring a bit might just have made the joint better - but obviously that will not be a permanent fix. I'm off tomorrow so I'll do as you suggest. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
95% of the time it is the connection. I've had the back left go out and the front right go out. In both instances I pushed the connectors back together. They were touching but they weren't tight. For the front you need to slide the tank back to get at the connection. For the rear you need to remove the rear assembly to open it up. It is a pain in the butt to work on either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got home early this afternoon so popped the tank back and fiddled with the connectors - no chance of taping them up, they're covered in grease. It didn't take much to pull them apart so whether they were loose or not I can't tell. But I shoved them back together and all seems to be working now. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I had a similar problem with my front/right last year.

Like you a little 'fiddling' did the trick.

I also noticed last winter during a 'very' cold/freezing night the rear/right stopped working but always worked after it warmed up or a few miles or riding. Never worked that one out, so will see what happened next winter.

Cheerio and glad it was an easy fix.

Roy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems you were right. I tested it again this morning and having shoved the connectors back together all is working as it should.

Reactions: Roy

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got home early this afternoon so popped the tank back and fiddled with the connectors - no chance of taping them up, they're covered in grease. It didn't take much to pull them apart so whether they were loose or not I can't tell. But I shoved them back together and all seems to be working now. Thanks.
You can clean the grease off, and then tape them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Folks,
I just experienced the same problem with my 2018 Bobber rear right indicator not working. All other electrical works. I'll try the methods you suggested but is there a link that shows how to pop the tank off so I can push the connectors tight?
Thank you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Folks,
I just experienced the same problem with my 2018 Bobber rear right indicator not working. All other electrical works. I'll try the methods you suggested but is there a link that shows how to pop the tank off so I can push the connectors tight?
Thank you.
if its a rear indicator not working its got naff all to do with anything under the tank

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Diver, do you have any suggestions where I should begin to problem solve? Thanks
check bulb first (if it has one) if not remove the rear light cluster mount (3 screws under fender might have to remove wheel) and all the connections are under there.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Folks,
Thank you.
As Diver said, rear indicators connections not under the tank, the main connector for the rears is behind the battery, but its a proper one so shouldn't come loose.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As Diver said, rear indicators connections not under the tank, the main connector for the rears is behind the battery, but its a proper one so shouldn't come loose.
yes but if that part was loose (only 1 block) nothing would work on the back, hence why it must be the individual connector to that specific signal which is under the rear light mount

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes but if that part was loose (only 1 block) nothing would work on the back, hence why it must be the individual connector to that specific signal which is under the rear light mount
Thank you folks. So under the rear light mount is a good place to start, then to the battery compartment as well. And forget about under the tank.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have experiences the loss of both front and rear turn signals. The front turn signals are fixed by checking the connection under the tank. The rear signals are fixed on the rear fender. The problem with the rear indicators is usually in the cluster of wires that sit under the mount that holds the plate, the turn signals and the brake light. The wires are too short and the connection gets pulled apart.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank you folks. So under the rear light mount is a good place to start, then to the battery compartment as well. And forget about under the tank.
start with the bulb if you have bulbed signals as opposed to led

1 - 20 of 23 Posts