Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Exhaust pipe heat wrap

7K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  lopsided 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
Quick question, has anyone fitted heat wrap around their exhaust pipes, if so was it easy enough, and how many rolls did you need to do both sides? Also pictures of your ones would be good.
Cheers
👍🏻
Dave

#2 ·
Yeah, I've wrapped mine twice now after changing my exhaust pipes. Pics and the link to the wrap I bought on Amazon below. The main reason I added it was so I didn't have to worry about my daughters burning themselves on hot pipes after a ride, because I used to park right next to where they kept their bikes. It definitely keeps you from getting burned if you accidentally bump a hot pipe. I really like the old school look to them too.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Titanium Exhaust Wrap from Amazon

#4 · (Edited)
Easy to do - you'll need 50 feet plus heat proof ties to attach - I fitted mine direct to the bike without undoing or loosening anything.

Here's a link - expensive (many cheaper options available) but this hasn't had any significant fading or fraying after almost a year of all weather UK riding. Same make Ysoslo links to (sooo much cheaper in US !)

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

#9 ·
The items you mentioned were both from A&J Cycles. The mirrors were a bit of a splurge, because they're glassless mirrors. I really love them though. The shifter is great, but the brass rubs off on my riding boots/shoes. One guy on here used rubber o-rings in the grooves of the brass shifter peg to give more grip, and that might help with the discoloration.

#6 ·
Beautifully done ysoslo and BoK

I have used the traditional wrap and the titanium wrap on different bikes. Both will give you a couple different looks Depending on the application. The titanium wrap should not be moisten or soaked before installation whereas the traditional wrap should be soaked. I did not seal The traditional wrap on my old springer only because I liked the frayed look. The titanium wrap does not require a Sealant. MadMaMa is debating on whether or not to wrap the headers. If you have clearance you can definitely wrap on the bike but I have never found to achieve a tight fit when doing so. My take is “when in doubt wrap it out”
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

#15 ·
If you haven't wrapped yet, you may want to reconsider. Here's what your headers could look like after some time under wraps.
Land vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Tire Vehicle

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

The wrap that had been put on prior to purchase was getting a tad tattered. I wanted to run without and see how that looked and felt. I thought I'd go with a repaint 'cause I preferred the unwrapped pipes. Reality won the day; the heat coming off those pipes was noticeably warmer, especially while trapped at a traffic light for a few minutes. Here where the temp range is pretty much 21 - 35 C year round, I've decided to re-coat, re-wrap, and seal. It's not such a bad look and it's a whole lot more comfortable. For what it's worth, Dave, the potential degradation of your headers may be worth considering.

#24 ·
I went with the BC exhaust wrap kit, I'm pretty happy with the look. Took a while to stop smoking after a ride, and it still gives off a bit of a funky smell when hot. I didn't wrap all the way down the exhaust due to needing to remove/replace the silencer <-> header covers by the footpegs.

(Forgive me, it's a SM but I have Bobber bars & mid controls so she's part Bobber ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.