Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... well today I can officially say that I have!

I was sat having a coffee outside a local restaurant with the bike parked behind me and approx 40 metres away, when all of a sudden two ladies who had obviously noted my lid on the table said, “excuse me, is that your bike over there, if so someone is sat on it”. I looked around just in time to see a guy climbing off of it and slowly walking away with 3 other people. I jumped up, said thanks to the ladies and wondered out. They were just opening the doors to their car so I asked why the **** did you sit on my bike? It appeared to be father and son and grand parents. The father put his hands up and said I’m sorry, I told him to. Know I’m certainly no meat head fighter type but I have to say that I was absolutely livid... which my more than colourful words no doubt let on.

Truth is I can hardly remember what I said but when the lad who had sat on it said with a smile on his face, I thought it was for show... I really did to my own surprise lose my cool.

I can’t believe someone could be so stupid... would they jump into a car if the door was left open of into a convertible if the roof was down... I very much doubt it.

Anyone else encountered such lunacy?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi Mike,

I know what you mean mate, it's a bloody liberty and a violation too..:surprise:

It only happened to me once nearly 20 years ago on my V-Max. It was a brand new bike and I was in my home town of Shrewsbury (England). I was back in my old (rough) neighborhood and having to stop for the night for work. I looked out of the window and spotted a few kids hanging around my bike. One was sat on it playing with all the switches.....:surprise:

I shot out and gave them a piece of my mind.

I didn't take my motorcycle back to work for an overnight again and instead used my mountain bike.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
962 Posts
I frequent a particularly picturesque area with marvelous vistas, it's about 80 miles north of Times Square. On a clear day one can see Manhattan between the mountain peaks. Because it's so magnificent it attracts a lot of tourists, many are from the Orient.
One day a couple placed their darling little girl on my Honda 1100F. I spotted this from a few meters and walked over to the scene. The parents were taking pictures of the girl who was no more than four and pawing the tank and rubbing her little feet on the side of my bike. The parents who didn't speak any language I know must have realized that I wasn't pleased, gave me a smile removed the future queen and left in a hurry. I have a soft spot for little girls so I wasn't really angry. But the nerve!

Chico

·
Registered
653 Posts
Back in January, I rode my brand new Bobber Black to Knott’s Berry Farm amusement park (my kids followed in my Mini Cooper). We got there early and got great parking spots - I parked my bike next to my car. We headed to the park entrance but I decided to head back to leave my jacket in the car rather than wearing it all day. As I got closer, I noticed another bike in my parking spot and a [email protected] on my bike moving it. I confronted the jerk who thought nothing of moving my bike (despite the steering lock) to make room for his bike. Blamed me for not leaving space for other bikes. I should have used my disc lock. In any case, I had heated words with him and he moved off. Unfortunately the incident ruined my entire day as I was constantly worried the d!ck would do something to my bike. I carried on for the sake of my kids. Luckily everything was fine when I got back.

I also witnessed an incident at a Dodgers game where someone (who obviously wasn’t the owner) got on a parked bike to take selfies.

I no longer take my bike to large venues. Too many bozos out there.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Never had it happen but, plenty of those “I’d like to just sit on that bike” looks.

Bad enough some people are so arrogant they can “violate” someone else’s property. Imagine they wouldn’t have been so thoughtless if the bike tipped over. 🤔😖

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I may be in the minority here so please don’t flame me, but I actually don’t mind people sitting on my bike as long as there is no mal-intent or vandalism intended.

I have sat in cafes and watched people sit on my bike. 9 times out of 10 they’re on and off quickly and no harm comes from pushing a big, waterproof button or pulling in the clutch lever. Of course I don’t mean that I want my bike to be the local display and test mule!

Bikes (especially my ex spaceship GL1800 and stunning Bobber) are a curiosity and attract attention by their very nature.
My only concern has always been that a kid won’t burn off his entire palm if touching the downpipe or exhaust while admiring the bike - as many parents are unaware of the extreme heat.
But the enjoyment a kid (or even adult) can get from safely sitting on a bike many very well trigger the urge to one day become a lifelong biker. And the smile (to me) is always priceless - even if they don’t know I’m watching.
If you’re not a biker, you simply don’t understand what a bond an owner has with their bike. And it’s clear that anyone who sits on someone else’s bike without permission isn’t a biker themself.

Rude, uneducated people with NO respect will always be out there and no amount of shouting, verbal or physical threats will increase their awareness or general IQ.

Yes it’s my property and yes I worked hard to achieve it. But life it too short to get angry over a hunk of metal, especially when the person admiring it either isn’t fortunate enough to be able to afford one or secretly wants to be a biker but never took the leap.

So for the majority of unwary (but mostly good) people who do sit on my bike; if it can create some happy memories and maybe even a future biker, I’m all for it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be in the minority here so please don’t flame me, but I actually don’t mind people sitting on my bike as long as there is no mal-intent or vandalism intended.

I have sat in cafes and watched people sit on my bike. 9 times out of 10 they’re on and off quickly and no harm comes from pushing a big, waterproof button or pulling in the clutch lever. Of course I don’t mean that I want my bike to be the local display and test mule!

Bikes (especially my ex spaceship GL1800 and stunning Bobber) are a curiosity and attract attention by their very nature.
My only concern has always been that a kid won’t burn off his entire palm if touching the downpipe or exhaust while admiring the bike - as many parents are unaware of the extreme heat.
But the enjoyment a kid (or even adult) can get from safely sitting on a bike many very well trigger the urge to one day become a lifelong biker. And the smile (to me) is always priceless - even if they don’t know I’m watching.
If you’re not a biker, you simply don’t understand what a bond an owner has with their bike. And it’s clear that anyone who sits on someone else’s bike without permission isn’t a biker themself.

Rude, uneducated people with NO respect will always be out there and no amount of shouting, verbal or physical threats will increase their awareness or general IQ.

Yes it’s my property and yes I worked hard to achieve it. But life it too short to get angry over a hunk of metal, especially when the person admiring it either isn’t fortunate enough to be able to afford one or secretly wants to be a biker but never took the leap.

So for the majority of unwary (but mostly good) people who do sit on my bike; if it can create some happy memories and maybe even a future biker, I’m all for it.
For the record I did initially politely ask if one of them had sat on my bike, and followed that up with a please don’t sit on peoples bikes. The thing that ticked me off was the 17-18 year old son telling me that he just thought it was for show and smirking at me, seemingly to try and wind me up. The issue in this case, was an entitled kid who’s father should have known better, as should the kid at that age.

I agree, it’s only metal at the end of the day but it’s metal that if damaged, I have to pay for. There needs to be boundaries and society seems to be losing their grasp on them. I wouldn’t dream of sitting on someone’s else’s bike, regardless of how much I like it... and I still managed to become a biker :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I agree - the smirk would pi** me off too in that situation! But as I said, nothing you do will ever change a wa*kers sense of entitlement or lack of education he passed on to his son - no matter how big or strong you are.

The chances of damage are low (to zero) statistically speaking and if someone wanted to purposely damage your bike, it probably wouldn’t be in broad daylight in a busy area.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree - the smirk would pi** me off too in that situation! But as I said, nothing you do will ever change a wa*kers sense of entitlement or lack of education he passed on to his son - no matter how big or strong you are.

The chances of damage are low (to zero) statistically speaking and if someone wanted to purposely damage your bike, it probably wouldn’t be in broad daylight in a busy area.
I hear you... but sadly I picked up a nasty scratch on my tank from a friends little girl climbing on the bike... I couldn’t bring myself to say anything at the time but wish I had. It cost a decent wedge to sort the issue regrettably. :crying:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've seen people looking, one guy taking a photo, which is all fine, but sitting on it is one step too far. You don't know how much care they are going to take with it and certainly wouldn't own up to any damage they did. They wouldn't sit on someone's car bonnet (hood for our US members) would they? Perhaps thay would.

So, I can understand your annoyance Mike.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't mind anyone sitting on any bike I've owned, as long as they ask for permission beforehand, and show respect for the owner and the machine.
I'm not known to have high tolerance levels! :wink2:
Agree, that if asked for permission and you say “yes” it’s ok. The real issue may not be damage to the bike, at least not intentionally, but that the person gets hurt or as Eisen said burned on a hot pipe. Imagine a parent’s reaction if their kid got burned. Five will get you ten that they will claim it was your fault. Sort of why McDonalds and now everyone else has to put “hot liquid” on their coffee cups (i.e. because too many people are stupid) or if a kid, without permission, pets someone’s dog and gets bitten, it’s the dog’s and your fault, not the kid’s. Even when asked, I say “no” to petting my dog (and she’s sweet) because if you say it’s ok, in today’s litigious world, you are complicit in the consequence. IMO, same with your bike. Taking personal responsibility for one’s actions doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore so I just try to avoid those situations. Soon you’ll probably be blamed for just parking it on the street.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only time it happened to me was when one of the girl's at the club asked me if she could sit on my bike (Softail), before i could answer she'd jumped on it and i watched her go straight over as she couldn't hold the bike upright. $3.5k damage, tank, helmet, exhaust plus several other part's as it was parked on a gravel car park. I couldn't get angry as i knew and respected her parent's (she was in her 20's at the time) and she didn't mean it to happen but it just show's you what can go wrong.
Personally i never sit on anyone else's bike, i can use my eye's to look :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Personally I would never sit on another person's bike uninvited.

There was this one time however, back in 1984, when I saw this brand spanking new GPz900R parked on the pavement outside a bike shop in Dumfries.

Whilst admiring it, thinking it was part of the shop's stock and up for sale, I gave the throttle a little twist. The next moment, this gruff voice barked "touch my bike again and I'll cut your effin' hands off!!"

Trying to explain myself and spluttering out apologies, I made a swift exit and hot-footed back to my humble DT125LC. I can understand how he felt however.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
When my father in-law comes over and goes missing for a few minutes, all I have to do is open the door to the garage and there he is sat on my bike....haha.

I don't mind him sitting on it at all though. He rides. has loaned me bikes and what not in the past, and we work on bikes/cars together.

As for the rest, I would NOT be happy if someone was sitting on my bike that I didn't know. Mainly because a) it's not your property! don't touch! I wouldn't just climb in your car and b) I am fearful that someone would mistakenly knock it over......Imagine having to retain someone to have a report filed so THEIR insurance would pay for any damage.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
  • Do not sit on my bike.
  • Do not pick up or try to play any of my guitars.
  • Do not put your hands on the hood of my freshly waxed car/SUV.
  • Do not drink my Scotch unless invited to do so.
Keep those simple rules and we will be fine. :|

* * * * *​

I stopped at a highway rest stop once and when I came out people were leaning on my Porsche 981 and taking selfies. It went down hill pretty fast after I asked them what they thought they were doing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nope never had that happen to me mate , but I feel your anger......guess Iv been lucky and people respectfully ask If they can sit on It .

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Personally I would never sit on another person's bike uninvited.

Whilst admiring it, thinking it was part of the shop's stock and up for sale, I gave the throttle a little twist. The next moment, this gruff voice barked "touch my bike again and I'll cut your effin' hands off!!"
OMG, this reminds me that I actually did sit on someone’s bike once without permission. My wife and I walked into a warehouse where a fabulous motorcycle show is held each year. Over 200 one-off motos on two floors. As we started to look around there was a bike near the wall, no one around that I just had to see what it felt like, hopped on and we took a quick pic. When we came by that way later in the show, it had been moved to a corner, now with a sign not to sit on it. Clearly others had done so. The bike? A brand new Triumph Bobber! Not a show bike, someone’s personal bike, one of the first in the States. Soon after, as soon as available, I bought mine. ��

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did it once, the bike belonged to the guy who lived down stairs, and it was sitting in the middle of the garage we shared. I needed to get my truck in to fix a tire and he wasn't home. I got on and wiggled it over to one side, very carefully. Needless to say he was upset when he came home, but calmed once he understood the situation. From then on the bike was parked off to the side.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rules -
Don't sit on my bike without an invitation or I'll get really pi$$y about it.
If I tell your kids not to touch my bike, it's not that I truly loathe kids, it's just that it takes ages to get melted flesh off an exhaust header without scratching it (and the smell!)
If i do say 'Go on then' just make sure you are not wearing anything that's going to scratch my tank or panels when you sit.

Of course if you are a stunningly fit lithe young lady in a teeny mini then **** yeah! go riiiight ahead but please note its a single seater and mine so tough luck :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts