Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

The regulars amongst you will no doubt have witnessed the evolution to my making this post... and I hope you’re not bored of helping. Your collective advice so far has been fantastic and greatly appreciated! :smile2:

I’m now 100% sure that I’m going to shelve the idea of the NC500 tour, at least for now, in favour of heading out into Europe... if they will let me in given all of the Brexit b0llox!

I’ve toured Europe on a number of occasions but to date only ever in sports cars and never on a bike, so I appreciate what works on four wheels, won’t necessarily work on two wheels.

With this in mind, I once again call upon the collective and trusted wisdom of my fellow Bobber brothers, (and sisters if there are any out there?), based on the below criteria...

• 6-10 days away. Most likely in July.

• Realistic, Bobber friendly, hrs/miles per day. Keeping in mind, on ride outs I happily head out at 10am and return home at 6-7pm. So long as I stop for a while, every hr or so I’m good!

• Mountain roads are fine but I’d rather avoid hairpin bends... so Stelvio-esq options are out, (I hate that road incidentally). Conversely, I’m not keen on straight motorway miles, but appreciate I need to get out there. In essence I’m happiest on sweeping roads, taking in great views whilst cruising at 50-60 mph...and who amongst us isn’t!

• Initally I thought I’d head for the Italian Lakes as I love it around there. Having said that I want to be realistic in terms of distance, so maybe it would be a better idea to not head out quite so far, in-order to avoid wasting too much time on motorways, just to reach area’s of interest. I’ll be guided by you on this?

In addition to considerations on location. I’m happy to move from hotel to hotel on a daily basis, but wouldn’t rule out setting up camp in one spot/hotel for more than one day/night, if it offers evenings out with pubs and eateries for example, but also has a range of daily ride out options close by. A day off from ridding, staying in a hotel with a hot tub, pool and a gym in a location with a little nightlife appeals, but isn’t essential.

That’s all I can think of for now, but I’m sure thanks to your help my plans will evolve into something fantastic! It goes without saying, if one of you happens to have a route stored somewhere that offers all of the above I’ll welcome you sending it to me with open arms! :grin2: But, back in the real world, I look forward to hearing your collective views and suggestions in order to help me create an absolutely kick a$$ Euro trip! 0:)

Oh... and if anyone fancies joining me you would be welcome :wink2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Getting to Italy on the Bobber is going to be a fair old trek....

If it were me, I’d be heading to the Loire valley in central France... keep it simple.0:)

The Loire has loads of places to visit, the scenery is stunning and the roads are Bobber heaven.:smile2:

·
Registered
577 Posts
How about the Faro Rally? Did it twice back in my 20's, rode the first one but due to work had to fly in to meet up with the club a couple of years later for my second)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting to Italy on the Bobber is going to be a fair old trek....

If it were me, I’d be heading to the Loire valley in central France... keep it simple.0:)

The Loire has loads of places to visit, the scenery is stunning and the roads are Bobber heaven.:smile2:
It’s not an area I know much about but will research it for sure... thank you ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
check this web site for ideas : https://www.bookmotorcycletours.com/motofrance/7-days-loire-chateaux-limousin-lakes-and-auvergne-volcanoes-guided-motorcycle-tour-in-france
E
check this article for more:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/spain-france-driving-routes/motorcycle-holidays-in-brittany/[/QUOTE

The Brittany tour areas sound fantastic. If I were over in Europe at that time I’d be in for that ride, for sure. The playlist at the bottom of the article has some good tunes, too. When I hear Credence Clearwater’s Fortunate Son, makes me just want to ride. The Letter by the Box Tops isn’t bad either, tho I’m more with Joe Cocker’s version. Mike, you’re going to have a fabulous trip.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should we start a new thread? Best at the weekend when people have time to look maybe. :wink2:

My guys take tiny tents which they hide in. At least this has a bed and a beer at the end of every day.
Absolutely... I’ll let you pop the new thread up... people must be sick of me posting constantly recently! :wink2:0:)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should we start a new thread? Best at the weekend when people have time to look maybe. :wink2:

My guys take tiny tents which they hide in. At least this has a bed and a beer at the end of every day.
Absolutely... I’ll let you pop the new post up... people must be sick of me posting constantly recently! :wink2:0:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mike,

Check
https://www.motocamp.com
Or
https://lecampingmoto.net/de/

Both are original Motorcyclecampings where certainly the first one is within Bobber “distance” and frequently visited by UK and NL drivers.

Ofcourse you can take you tent (on a bobber? Where) but I guess better and easier to rent a cabin, caravan or tent (did that last year at second camping, perfect!)
You also don’t need to think about food or liquids, it’s all there, not the cheapest way maybe but you can “roll” to your sleeping bag.

Needless to say I do not have any financial connections to these 2adresses, but I do feel I can recommend them.

Cu
Léon

·
Registered
664 Posts
Back in 2007 I rode to Rome & back in early may, and being on my Guzzi Norge, went via Como and a factory visit. I went by ferry (a couple of years later I did the tunnel and would do that again) and got a cheap B&B in Dover to enable a 0600 Ferry. I went with a mate who was on a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter, and we got to Nancy the first day. We made the mistake of taking a section off Autoroute, where our average dropped to about 40MPH.

On Autoroutes, we averaged about 65mph and took breaks every couple of hours (mainly for him to fuel up), so set off at 0800, splash & dash at 1000, proper lunch stop at 1200 for an hour 1500 tea stop (20 min) and arrive at destination at 1700. This was VERY easy to achieve, going faster takes more mental effort, and results in the ride being more tiring and the ultimate range for the day being less.

We went Calais - Nancy Day 1, stayed in a Formula 1 (unbooked). Day 2 was a SUPERB ride up through the Voges pick up the autoroute near Strasbourg, Basel for lunch, past the Swiss lakes (gorgeous) through the Gotthard tunnel (stinking hot -38C when the outside temp was 11C) to Como where we stayed (unbooked)for an extra day (rode round Lake Como-Gorgeous!) because we weren't due in Rome until the following day.

The trip back was almost the reverse, but Metz substituted for Nancy. Ferry back, we were on the exposed deck on the ferry which was slipperier than snail snot (ABS kicked in at 2mph)… 2800 round trip, and the 2 hour slots would suit a Speedy for fuel.

Plan to go back at some point, but only as far as the lakes

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some brilliant advice, links and encouragement... thanks gentlemen!

I’m so looking forward to this adventure in terms of the planning... researching the best gear for the task at hand but know that the journey itself is going to be epic!

If anyone wants to join me just let me know. I live pretty close to the crossing so if coming from further afield in the U.K, stop off at mine the night before, and then set off early the following day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts