Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that U.S. headlamps do not meet EU standard. Anyone know if that is true for using EU headlamps in the U.S.?

What is the difference in the standards and how could someone (e.g. the police, if you were stopped) recognize that you’re running a EU headlamp that might not be legal in the U.S.?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don’t know the exact difference between the two, but do remember having used EU headlamps in both my cars and motorcycles back when the only thing the US allowed was completely sealed glass headlamps (1970’s) and my EU’s had removable bulbs. No one is EVER going to notice except you! I did notice the fluting on the glass on some EU lamps make the lamp shine up on the right to illuminate road signs and such, which I like.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As FORJOX say's, no one is going to notice except you!. One of the main differences is that headlamp beam pattern and lens configuration which is designed to bias for left or right side road use. If you're importing a headlight from US origin then importing and running in EU there should not be any legal implications if your country is also left hand drive. Not be an issue and visa-versa.

The above would probably be more pertinent for OEM model specific headlights, whether sealed beam, tungsten or LED as std or option. Don't think aftermarket LED headlights have that technical feature incorporated in their design?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are there any markers or engravings (equivalent to a DOT helmet sticker) that would alert someone that the headlamp isn’t U.S. compliant?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts