Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Gents,

I thought I would join up and introduce myself. I'm English (a Shropshire lad) now living in New Mexico. Mid 50's and have been riding bikes all my adult life. I come from a biking family but sadly I'm the last of three brothers, my two older brothers having each been killed on their bikes. So when I sold my last bike (a V-Max) to fund my move to the US a little over a decade ago I really didn't know if I would ever get another bike.

A little over a week ago I happened to visit the Triumph website and for the first time clapped eyes on a Bonneville Bobber, it was like someone had read my mind and designed my perfect bike. I franticly looked around for something special to sell in the vain hopes I could raise enough funds for a cash purchase. Yesterday just six days after seeing the Bobber for the first I drove the couple of hours south to Albuquerque threw down a wod of cash and ordered my new Bobber Black...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Much to my delight, my (American) wife thinks it is a wonderful idea (despite the single seat) and is fully supportive. A big deal as we are not a wealthy couple but she is one in a million. Just waiting for it to be built to my spec and I'm good to go, so will follow up with some pics down the road.

Cheerio and ride safe,

Roy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Roy,

Welcome to the forum. You will find this group is a collection of some wonderful and supportive people. I am sorry to hear about the lost of your brothers. Although, I am willing to wager that your brothers would probably never want you to stop riding motorcycles. And I am almost certain they would be enthusiastic about your Triumph Bobber purchase. Good luck and enjoy the delivery day and ride home. Many will tell you this bike is by far their favorite ride!

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gents,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful welcome.

During the last decade of being here in the US, I have occasionally ridden on friends bikes and also got to fulfill a dream and rode my friends Harley coast to coast, so bikes have never been far from my mind. As soon as I saw the Bobber I knew I had to make something happen. I once owned a 79 Bonnie but these new ones are just on a different level all together.

Some of the mountain roads here are perfect for bikes and of course the weather is a dream. After a lifetime of all year round riding in the Shropshire I've paid my dues riding in the wet, damp, ice and snow, so the thought of dry road and all year sun is almost unbelievable.

I've chosen a few upgrades to the bike, so it will be pretty spot on when it's done, so will be keen to share images of the bike and perhaps the occasional adventure here in northern New Mexico.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
459 Posts
0:) bienvenu 0:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello over the water expat :) enjoy the bike :)

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Welcome! NM is a beautiful state, and England is a beautiful country (having grown up in Banbury).

Be sure to map out the petrol stations out there, could get caught up easily without a pump.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Welcome to the site! So glad to hear you were able to make the Bobber Black work for you, and glad to hear your wife is supportive of your passion. I've loved the parts of New Mexico I've been to. I had a grandmother than lived in Santa Rosa a block or 2 away from The Blue Hole. Definitely a much different climate and landscape than England.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can an "old" English pensioner afford to move to and live in N.M ?
Hi Bofor,

New Mexico is one of the less expensive places to live over here. We are a little north of Santa Fe (which is really expensive) in a small mostly Latino community. I have lived in Washington, Oregon, Texas, Colorado, Arizona etc. and this part of the world is not only one of the nicest but also the least expensive.

The Rockies peter out just north of hear, so some lovely mountain roads, scenery and camp sites, all of which I intend to explore more on my new Bonnie Bobber.

Although not long ago I found a rattle snake just a few feet from my back door - a reminder I'm no longer is Shropshire...:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello Roy,

Welcome to the group, I am also located in NM (Albuquerque) and have had the opportunity to ride some nice roads here in the high desert. You will enjoy the Bobber, it is a fun machine to ride.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Bofor,

New Mexico is one of the less expensive places to live over here. We are a little north of Santa Fe (which is really expensive) in a small mostly Latino community. I have lived in Washington, Oregon, Texas, Colorado, Arizona etc. and this part of the world is not only one of the nicest but also the least expensive.

The Rockies peter out just north of hear, so some lovely mountain roads, scenery and camp sites, all of which I intend to explore more on my new Bonnie Bobber.

Although not long ago I found a rattle snake just a few feet from my back door - a reminder I'm no longer is Shropshire...:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy
Hi Roy
Sounds like you live near the desert...whats the temp there in the summer ?
Oh..you say there`s no snakes in Shropshire ??:frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Roy
Sounds like you live near the desert...whats the temp there in the summer ?
Oh..you say there`s no snakes in Shropshire ??:frown2:
Hi Bofor,

Snakes...:surprise: well rattlers at least. In growing up on a Shropshire farm I only every saw on snake the whole time and that had been run over by the tractor.

Darn hot in these parts for a Shropshire lad. Although we are 5,000 feet up, so it's not as searing as it is further down south. The mornings and evenings are really special though, often with a light cool breeze. It rarely rains though, so mostly dry and sunny with clear sky's and amazing views.

Once I get out on the road I will be sure to send along plenty of pics.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Lads & Lasses,

Gosh it's been a long two weeks since I paid my deposit but I have it on good authority that my Bobber will be available for pickup tomorrow (Monday). So my wife, little dog and I are heading out for the day and planing to bring our new addition to the family home.

Only one glitch as my floorboards haven't arrived, so they will have to wait until the first service.

Initial photos to follow. I don't think I have been this excited since I bought my first bike 37 years ago!

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Nothing like the excitement of getting a new bike & bringing it home (no matter how many times you’ve done it).
Congrats and enjoy :smile2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts