Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with the issue I'm experiencing.

I was riding my Bobber (original) a few nights ago and while I was riding, the Check Engine (MIL), TCC and ABS lights came on. They only stayed on briefly and then went away.

During the same ride I noticed the warning lights would come back on whenever I accelerated. I pulled over, shut off and restarted the bike and it was fine after that. Then the next day I went for a ride, the same thing happened and the lights started flashing again intermittently while accelerating.

Here's what I have done so far to try troubleshoot the issue:

-I plugged in an OBD to see if I could bring up a fault code, however there were no codes. It is possible the OBD reader is useless and the ECU has stored a fault code (it's happened to me before with this OBD).

-I cold started the bike and without touching the throttle and let it idle for about 20+ minutes. During this time I noticed the idle wasnt very smooth, the revs would fluctuate between 850-1200 rpm. It eventually started to backfire a little, then it stalled without any warning lights appearing. Started it back up, took it for a ride and after about half an hour of riding, the warning lights appeared again.

-It still feels like it has enough power and that it doesn't go into 'limp home mode'.

I'm guessing the issue could be either the ABS sensor, or throttle/EFI related. It's just got me stumped, but more so disappointed because I have only put 500kms on this bike.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: I will be taking the bike back to the dealership to get them to look at it. I will share the outcome when I manage to find out what's going on.

Cheers

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds like a fueling issue. I am not certain with this particular bike, but I know that in automotive systems for example, a problem can trigger all sorts of lights and codes. On a chevy car I had, a cracked coil pack had an engine light, traction control, stabilitract, and emissions system codes going off.

You need to be able to connect it to a diagnostic system that can show show stored faults and codes. It could be as simple as a failing sensor. Sounds like the shade tree mechanic days are over for many of us, and the bike needs a trip to the dealer for connection to a diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
208 Posts
**** Technology !!!, i swear they "build in" faults just to keep the cash flowing. The wrong way i might add !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those of you that are interested, I took the bike back to the shop yesterday and managed to get the issue fixed.

It turns out the earth on the engine was loose from factory, and since there wasn't a good enough ground, the sensors weren't getting enough voltage to work properly causing all of the different warning lights to appear.

Apparently Triumph gives the shop a list of things to do to the bike before it gets sold, and checking the earth isn't one of them. The guy I was speaking with mentioned that he has seen this before from Triumph, so they are going to start checking the ground on new bikes as part of their process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those of you that are interested, I took the bike back to the shop yesterday and managed to get the issue fixed.

It turns out the earth on the engine was loose from factory, and since there wasn't a good enough ground, the sensors weren't getting enough voltage to work properly causing all of the different warning lights to appear.

Apparently Triumph gives the shop a list of things to do to the bike before it gets sold, and checking the earth isn't one of them. The guy I was speaking with mentioned that he has seen this before from Triumph, so they are going to start checking the ground on new bikes as part of their process.
i have had almost identical problems with my 2020 bobber black the dealer says absolutely nothing wrong with it I’m sure he thinks I’m making it up as no error codes in comp

·
Registered
2 Posts

This just happen to me today With my 2018 speemaster. Is the earth something i can tighten myself?

·
Super Moderator
849 Posts
The favourite to try is the battery negative. Remove the battery case and just check the tightness of the black lead coming off the outside end of the battery and finishing up bolted to the frame a short distance away...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Today I had the TC amber light along with engine light come on.

Took straight home and TC now off after restarting but engine warning light on.

Great . Bikes done 2k miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts