Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How much does your engine vibrates on 100-120kmh(65-75mph) cruising ?

I got my bobber black 3 weeks ago. All reviews say it's smooth engine, i can't say that, it vibrates like tractor on 100-120kmh with 5th or 6th gear, i can feel it from foot pegs and bars. Keeping in higher RPM has less vibrations than calm cruising.
I have 2800km on clock, first service done on 900km, nothing has changed.

Any opinions are welcome >:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
How much do you trust the dealer....did the top mechanic do your service or the 12 year old apprentice?

I'd be tempted to start looking at the engine mounting bolts, just a check they are not loose (my header nuts almost fell off as the healer didn't torque them down at 1st service)

The BC tips dont exactly vibrate but felt a bit thumpier than with the stand zoest on it

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I experience no intolerable vibration Or close to it..) at any speed or RPM.

Sorry to hear your experience. To the dealer you should go.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The Bobber engine is relatively smooth. You should not be getting a vibration like that.

I had a vibration on a new BMW R1200GS. I felt it at 65 to 75 mph. At first I thought it was the engine. It turned out to be an unbalanced front wheel.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mine has a reasonable amount of vibration under hard acceleration... can’t honestly say if it’s a normal amount or not?

·
Registered
506 Posts
No vibration from mine. That’s one thing that is most noticeable to me about this bike....the lack of engine vibrations. I would have the bike checked out for sure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't say I notice any real vibration at that speed. Certainly nothing compared to the '73 T120 I once owned anyway. There is an adjustment for the counterbalance shafts, but I would have thought if it was out you would notice at idle (either gear whine or clatter).
The throttle bodies need to be balanced as this can cause vibration. I think if it was me I would go back to the dealer and ask for a test ride of another bike. It doesn't need to be a Bobber since they all share the same engine. See if you notice the same level of vibration. If not get the dealer to test ride yours.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'm in the No-Vibrations club as well, so I'd recommend doing exactly what so many others have already mentioned...take it to the dealer for evaluation. Something isn't quite right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bad thing is, i live in small country we don't such things as test rides.

The vibration was there when i got it, zero miles on it.
Even speedo indicator vibrates.
Engine does not have any distinguishable noises.

Two other things i notice:
1) Since 2k km gear deceleration has twice lower than it was at the beginning.
(May be related to brake in, initially engine has more friction)

2) Acceleration is liner to ca 5000 rpm, after that decreases.
Most noticeable on 2th gear acceleration.

But if you say cruising(not accelerating) 70 - 80 mph 5th 6th gear should be smooth, no vibration on foot pegs and speedo indicator doesn't vibrate, that all i need to know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vibrates the **** out of it.
But that was the thing with the old 790 and 865 ccm 270° engines as well.
The 1200 Thruxton and Bonnevilles are much smoother.

I get more and more tired of the Bobber because of its vibration, poor brakes and footpeg scraping when riding a bit faster. Even my old 2003 Speedmaster outperforms this bike when speaking about drivability. Theres no way to bring the pegs upwards and no linkage to lift the bike via the shock, most people even think about forward controls (WTF?). Was riding with a friend, me on the bobber, he on his 1951 T6 Thunderbird (which is the designsceme for our Bobber). He outperformed me with this bike because of weight and groundclearence in corners. As the american Trumpet says: ..very disapointing, sad, so sad. Usually when riding with him on my Bonneville or w650 there is no problem.

Think of selling the bike and invest into a 1100-kit for my old Speedmaster.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That funny, as some users say no vibrations.
I can see 2 options here:
1) Me and you are just have different understanding on smooth ride.
2) Mine and your bobber engine has some issues.

Do you have linear power loss too ?
For example hard acceleration with 2th gear. It accelerates 50-95kmh ok, then 95-120kmh like pushing it, it just don't want to go, but there is plenty rpm to go.

Vibrates the **** out of it.
But that was the thing with the old 790 and 865 ccm 270° engines as well.
The 1200 Thruxton and Bonnevilles are much smoother.

I get more and more tired of the Bobber because of its vibration, poor brakes and footpeg scraping when riding a bit faster. Even my old 2003 Speedmaster outperforms this bike when speaking about drivability. Theres no way to bring the pegs upwards and no linkage to lift the bike via the shock, most people even think about forward controls (WTF?). Was riding with a friend, me on the bobber, he on his 1951 T6 Thunderbird (which is the designsceme for our Bobber). He outperformed me with this bike because of weight and groundclearence in corners. As the american Trumpet says: ..very disapointing, sad, so sad. Usually when riding with him on my Bonneville or w650 there is no problem.

Think of selling the bike and invest into a 1100-kit for my old Speedmaster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That funny, as some users say no vibrations.
I can see 2 options here:
1) Me and you are just have different understanding on smooth ride.
2) Mine and your bobber engine has some issues.

Do you have linear power loss too ?
For example hard acceleration with 2th gear. It accelerates 50-95kmh ok, then 95-120kmh like pushing it, it just don't want to go, but there is plenty rpm to go.
My Bobber is also smooth at these speeds in 5th/6th. Certainly no shaking of the speedo. Just got rid of my VFR 1200F and of course the 2 cylinder Bobber isn't as smooth as a 4 cylinder bike but I do not notice any disconcerting or annoying vibrations. Yes it could be just one's person opinion of 'smooth' is different than someone else's opinion, but having jumped from a 4 to 2 cylinder bike I don't think this is the case. Maybe worth trying another Bonneville 1200 engine bike if possible. No linear power loss either.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
The first thing I noticed on the Speedmaster test ride was how smooth it was compared to the Guzzi Stelvio... I feel there must be something amiss with the OP's bike

·
Registered
230 Posts
two things from my side: the engine vibes are relatively low at the speeds the op mentions, no trouble, I'd even say the bobber vibrates less than my Tiger 800 and that's a triple.

The speedo needle does vibrate slightly, I was told it's due to the retro design in the sixties every speedo needle vibrated, so it's a built-in feature...

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would be worth checking the wheel alignment and the tyre pressures.

You can get strange effects when they are not right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[email protected]: no issues on the engine or powercutouts, vibrations are from the beginning and get lesser, the higher the revs are.

Of course are there different definitions of "vibrations". :)
Compared to the Guzzi or Harley, there is less vibration, compared to the old Speedmaster/America, there is more vibration on the newer model. Compared to the same engine in the Bonnevilles or Thruxtons (or even the new 900er) it is just like a vibrator. Do not know what they did to the maping as the Boberengine is so harsh and makes the chassis vibrate so much.

Would be interesting if bikes with NO AIRBOX have a better and smoother character.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I put about 260 miles on mine yesterday. Learned a few thing. At back road pace , I did very well in the MPG situation , for 1. When I jumped on the slab and cranked about 100 miles off (to get home from a relaxed day of back road bombing) , it was not the best ride. I am still working on seating (I love the Corbin seat , but not sure it is going to be a permanent fixture) , and The Tall bars (I added) had enough buzz in them between 75-80 to put my hands asleep quickly. I was bummed. I understand these bikes aren't mean't to be the next coming of the Goldwing (to squelch the comments that it isn't/wasn't meant for touring) But my eyes were opened as to how little comfort is provided at that pace.

So I for one would say I feel vibration in the form of buzzing (not jack hammer) in my bike at those speeds as well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts