Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I’ll start from the beginning, took the bobber out yesterday, travelled roughly 1/2 a mile when I heard a sound similar to something being caught in the spokes, like a flapping noise?!
I slowed down but the noise disappeared so I carried on my way, and thought no more of it.
Then probably 5/6 miles the ABS warning light came on followed by the traction control warning light, engine still running at this point, and I was about 1/2 a mile from home so carried on....
Then everything went out on the speedo, no display at all, shortly after this engine completely died, at this point I was that close to home I freewheeled the rest of the way.
Turned the ignition off, then back on and everything lit up !!
Don't really want to take the bike back out if there’s an issue with the electrics....
The bikes still under warranty, but any ideas to what could be the problem?
Im now thinking back to the flapping noise, and maybe this was one of the ABS sensors ?
but would this create the other issues? and the engine to cut out ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I’ll make a phone call tomorrow, if the dealers are open?
Just a pain, the bike hasn’t even covered a 1000 miles yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just been out to have a look, see if there’s anything obvious...
The dash is back to life, but the bike won’t even turn over on the button.

·
Super Moderator
849 Posts
Have you looked around the front and back wheel for stuff that's hanging and could have caused the noise? Are there witness marks on any spokes? Agree that this is a dealer job though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, had a good look this morning, both abs sensors look ok, no marks of anything rubbing.
Tested the battery with a multi meter, that seems fine.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My Bobber Black has been plagued with bad connections. The rear turn signals quit working twice. The front right turn signal quit last week. All three times I had to push connections back together.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you got anything that can check ECU codes? E.g. dealertool or TuneECU? Where are you based mate? Given ABS and TC flashed up I would say battery. Mine had a corroded earth and needed a good charge, I had similar symptoms, engine misfiring/cutting out at some rev ranges, odd noises and TC/ABS lights. Code showed an issue with a 5v sensor, charged the battery (and serviced the bike) and all is well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve checked the battery, all the terminals are good. It’s been connected to a trickle charge throughout the winter, I’ve no tools to check the ECU....the bikes always garaged and done no serious miles.
I’m in Ashford Kent

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK I'm not far - near Maidstone. I have tuneecu so could connect to your bike and check the codes for you. Have to see what's announced tomorrow/Monday!

·
Registered
145 Posts
probably the battery. Even if it reads 12 volts on the multi meter doesn’t mean it’s good, sometimes The starting capacity is not enough which means the amperes is low and can’t crank the engine. Or the fastest way is to Just use a jumper cable and if it starts, time to replace your battery. Try to Check again the battery by using your multi meter while engine is running. Voltage should be more the 12v, if It drops below 12v that means there’s something wrong with the charging system of your bike.
good luck..

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's not the loom issue that is generic to the whole Bonneville range? At the headstock it is a bit tight and comes to bits quite early on. A mate has a Cub and it's packed in after 700 miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's not the loom issue that is generic to the whole Bonneville range? At the headstock it is a bit tight and comes to bits quite early on. A mate has a Cub and it's packed in after 700 miles.
One would think a loom issue would be one of the easiest to modify and fix cheaply and quickly in the manufacturing process. Wow.

Wishing you best of luck with the issue, @Bobstar. I'd be mad and frustrated, but it's gotta be an electrical issue, which should be easier to sort with a new bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies.
The bike is being collected Saturday, so hopefully have some news early next week.
I put a meter across the battery which seemed okay, and then again on hitting the start button, the volts didn’t drop at all, so nothing is drawing current at start up.
so could be alternator or starter ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you have NO voltage drop when trying to engage the starter, then you have NO connection. Any starter in any condition other than completely open circuitry (which would be extremely rare) will cause a big voltage drop when engaged. You’ve got a wiring connection problem, relay or switch trouble. IMHO Hmmmmm......that noise though?? Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bike was collected yesterday, the chap who collected it said the problem was more than likely to be the gear position sensor ?!
If it is, then I could have the bike back on Tuesday/weds 👍

·
Registered
145 Posts
My bike also had a faulty gear position sensor. But I did Not experience any starting problem. Bike runs except for the wrong gear reading on the guage which I was able to fix without replacing, by just sanding the sides of the white plastic insert for it to rotate smoothly.

PB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts