Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I recently got my first service done with the oil change and have crossed the 800km mark. A couple days after the service I have noticed a clattering sound from the engine that wasn't there before.
Anyone else noticed such a sound? Definitely something from the engine and not just a lose part.

Trying to figure out if this is normal or if I should get this checked out!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Have not experienced that. Do you notice it while riding, at idle or all the time? You check the engine oil level? If you can point it out I would take it back to the dealer and have them listen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
not sure what this piece is called, but there's this thin curved metal "guard" that's located a little below the radiator. mine was loose, so just had to pop it back into the two tabs that secure it.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
The Bobber should have a natural thrum and burble as the revs rise. Noticable clattering (as opposed to flat twins) is NOT a sound that should be associated with your bike.
I suggest you take it in and have it checked. Just my opinion, of course.

Can you post a vid of the noise (if it is pronounced enough to show up on a compressed video)? Maybe a more experienced member will be able to shine some light on its source...

·
Registered
363 Posts
don't know if this is what's causing your rattle. but here's a picture of that piece that was loose on mine. there's a bolt on top, but then two metal tabs at the bottom, (which both popped out) probably from recently i rode through a dip a little too fast and felt the bike bottom out rather hard (ouch!).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone thanks a lot for the help and the pointers.

I will try and get the audio and also drive by the service centre to have them take a look - will get back with the sound or an update on what it was!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I'd give you guys an update - the noise is a constant at any RPM, idle or while running and definitely from the engine. Unfortunately my phone (I still use a blackberry) can't pick up the sound I am talking about.

However, the service centre guys confirmed that it's normal and just an increase in the engine's sound because of the oil change in the first service where the new oil isn't as dense as the one the bike carried before!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I am listening to vids (from my iPhone) from the day the bike was first started to the day i changed oil for my first service (and beyond).
Now maybe i am half deaf from my de-catted + racing exhaust clad Ducatis, but i cannot notice any discernible clattering from the engine at any point. And certainly nothing that would make me visit the dealer.
Sure, the engine makes its normal noises and i have just now spent 10 mins warming mine up with my ear stuck to the engine.
But to say there was NOTHING the day the bike was first started and then SOMETHING after the first oil change - is something i can´t do!

Could it be that you are used to hearing your bike with your helmet/earplugs in and now you are listening to it without??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @eisen77. Yeah, I am starting to think that I have been used to hearing my bike with the helmet on. I'm assuming that sound that I was concerned about wasn't quite as loud at first or maybe when I noticed it, I just started paying more mind!

For now looks like it's just me being an overprotective parent but I'll still keep an eye (ear) on it.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Thanks @eisen77. Yeah, I am starting to think that I have been used to hearing my bike with the helmet on. I'm assuming that sound that I was concerned about wasn't quite as loud at first or maybe when I noticed it, I just started paying more mind!

For now looks like it's just me being an overprotective parent but I'll still keep an eye (ear) on it.
Just to ask, you did check the oil and the rattling plate another member asked about, yes?

I feel you, it's like when in traffic and you hear some breaks making squeaking sounds, you start listening and swear its coming from your car....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gently pop the tip of a long screwdriver onto the engine casing and kind of press the esge of your head just before it hits the ear where there is bone underneath to the screwdriver handle, i know it sounds mad but you will hear sounds much more clearly inside rather than all the external noise, if there is an actual clattering in the engine it will be much easier to hear it and track down exactly where its coming from by moving the screwdriver about. It's kind of trial and error but an old chap who could tell whats wrong with a maggot before it even pulled up at a garage told me that one.

Failing that, just fit an obnoxiously loud exhaust then you will never be able to hear if it's rattling or not again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@muensterDeath I did check what @djdannygunz almost immediately cos the roads in Bangalore are terrible and I have bottomed out a few times myself. But everything seems well in place!

I feel you, it's like when in traffic and you hear some breaks making squeaking sounds, you start listening and swear its coming from your car....
And yeah, that looks like exactly what I'm doing!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts