Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK then, I've removed the fuel tank in preparation for a paint job.
But I can't work out the right way to empty it.
I could turn it upside down and empty from the fuel cap, but it'll be messy and there's an internal lip that will make complete emptying difficult without lots of shaking about!!
I think the fuel hose is a no-no as it's connected high up in the tank.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just got an empty plastic bottle stuck a small bore pipe on it & sucked it out with that, then squirted it into a fuel can, repeated till empty right down to the last couple of drops.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the same problem. I'm guessing you'll be removing the fuel pump from the bottom of the tank? I used the openings in the bottom and top to shake, pour and then wipe dry the remaining fuel.

If you do remove the pump, work gently. The internal electrical connections are short and appear deleicate. I took photos of things as I went to help with reassembly. In the end, it was a worthy effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted.
Bought a £4 syphon from Halfords.
Did the trick perfectly.
Have left tank out in the sun (in the shade) for last drops to evaporate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Without ever looking at a Bobber tank I'm going to bet this is the procedure.
Remove seat, unbolt the rear tank faster and remove it. Slide the tank back towards the rear a couple of inches. Lift the front of tank, disconnect the electrical connector.
Slide the cover back on the fuel line hose at the tank connector, squeeze the two small buttons on the hose connector and pull off.
Lift tank and sit on a towel on the work bench.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Remove seat, unbolt the rear tank faster and remove it. Slide the tank back towards the rear a couple of inches. Lift the front of tank, disconnect the electrical connector.
Slide the cover back on the fuel line hose at the tank connector, squeeze the two small buttons on the hose connector and pull off.
Actually, you don't have to remove the seat. The rear tank fasteners for the Bobber tank are just below the tank lip towards the back - Two T45 (IIRC) Torx bolts. Just undo them, and pull the tank up & back a little, then undo the two electrical connectors and fuel hose.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You left out the most time consuming part of the tank removal process, drain the fuel from the tank first, makes the rest much easier.:wink2:

Chico

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:
be careful when removing the fuel pump.
it's pretty tricky to go back up.:crying: joints,wiring...everything goes back to the millimeter.:surprise:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts