Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw Tune ECU has unlocked the 1200WC ECUs. I’ve been waiting for this and I’m pretty excited to see it, will be calling the shop first thing tomorrow. If anyone starts creating their own maps it would be great to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was only mildly interested in this since I’d gone PCV but I just realized that I can install the tune to remove the limiters THEN use PCV for fine tuning. Now I’m VERY interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was only mildly interested in this since I’d gone PCV but I just realized that I can install the tune to remove the limiters THEN use PCV for fine tuning. Now I’m VERY interested.

This is my exact sentiment. Already have PCV installed, was waiting on ANYBODY to work around the ECU . Im interested in knowing if anybody has done this yet

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my thought as well. I have the PCV and the usual upgrades, having too much fun to stop there. I have the TEC cam ready to go in and am going to do some head work while I’m at it but with all of the restrictions on it I wasn’t sure how much it would really do. I also really want to get rid of the popping on decel and I want to get rid of the throttle restriction up top and raise the rev limit a bit. All the little bits get here over the next few days so I’ll post how it goes with the first few adjustments.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That was my thought as well. I have the PCV and the usual upgrades, having too much fun to stop there. I have the TEC cam ready to go in and am going to do some head work while I’m at it but with all of the restrictions on it I wasn’t sure how much it would really do. I also really want to get rid of the popping on decel and I want to get rid of the throttle restriction up top and raise the rev limit a bit. All the little bits get here over the next few days so I’ll post how it goes with the first few adjustments.
Looking forward to your updates!!

·
Vendor
497 Posts
Even better is you can import your power commander tune in to tune ecu and it will adjust your fuel tables as per the pcv values, then you can ditch your PCV ?

Have started playing with tuning our scrambler 1200 and have seen improvements immediately.

If anyone has a dyno tuned PCV map they want to send our way we can use it to create a base tune for the bobbers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had mine dyno tuned, with pod filters, xpipe, V&H exhaust, ill send it to you as soon as I figure out how to export the map. Still not exactly sure how I do that, I’m assuming that I have to plug in to the PCV to pull? I can’t pull that from the odb2 connector can I?

I should say I live in Denver, does that impact the tune? I know I have power losses due to elevation but the AFR settings in the tune should be same same no matter what right?

Even better is you can import your power commander tune in to tune ecu and it will adjust your fuel tables as per the pcv values, then you can ditch your PCV ?

Have started playing with tuning our scrambler 1200 and have seen improvements immediately.

If anyone has a dyno tuned PCV map they want to send our way we can use it to create a base tune for the bobbers.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Brian, do you know yet if after importing the PCV tune, and ditching the PCV all together, does the ECU fine tune the PCV tune like it would the stock tunes?

I am using a Dyno tune for stock air boxes and BC drags atm with my pods and open tridents, hence my question :wink2:, if you want it?

·
Vendor
497 Posts

Brian, do you know yet if after importing the PCV tune, and ditching the PCV all together, does the ECU fine tune the PCV tune like it would the stock tunes?

I am using a Dyno tune for stock air boxes and BC drags atm with my pods and open tridents, hence my question
, if you want it?
That is my understanding of how it works. Always adapting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Talked to a friend yesterday, he rides a Thruxton “R”.. stated when in “R” mode.. it is a TOTALLY different beast. No limit on revs and has no issues toting the front wheel..
Exactly how much “physical”difference is there in these motors (cams, valves,ect?).. or this just a tuning difference?
I would love to see the difference in the tunes... side by side..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Talked to a friend yesterday, he rides a Thruxton “R”.. stated when in “R” mode.. it is a TOTALLY different beast. No limit on revs and has no issues toting the front wheel..
Exactly how much “physical”difference is there in these motors (cams, valves,ect?).. or this just a tuning difference?
I would love to see the difference in the tunes... side by side..

You remember your first ride and thought "Wow! This bike has some nice torque!", then after your first tune up and you probably said something along the lines of "This is like the first time I rode her! Happy days!"

With a decat, pipes, airbox removal and PCV it's a completely different beast of fun. The only way to describe it is that once you do it, you'll quickly realize how much Triumph purposefully crippled their engines in order to meet ridiculous EU emissions scores. The biggest issue I found was once you get serious about the engine, you're deadpanned into just accepting

1.) Even with the grace the PCV gives your rev, you will always be hard throttled

2.) If you DARE want to go faster(I'm looking at the serious hate the guys at TriumphRat give for this), you should just buy another motorcycle.

Now all I gotta do is get this done, remove the PCV (UGH! I might actually just pay them to do this) and continue my path of upgrades.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I asked my dyno guy and he’s not comfortable tuning with TuneECU (only stock maps currently available). Most of his work is with PCV. Does it make sense to just take the PCV tune and map that in TuneECU then disconnect PCV?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s what I plan on doing. I have my bike dyno tuned with the PCV and want to create a map from that. A&J sounded like they were volunteering to create a map if someone would send a PCV dyno tuned map. I think most of us have a “similar” setup with x-pipe, exhaust, and air box removal so I think that would be a good “base” to create a tune for.

Then as soon as the shop frees up I plan on getting my cam in, doing some performance head work and getting new headers. Tune it for that and that should just about do it for go fast upgrades.

I asked my dyno guy and he’s not comfortable tuning with TuneECU (only stock maps currently available). Most of his work is with PCV. Does it make sense to just take the PCV tune and map that in TuneECU then disconnect PCV?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Compression, lighter flywheel/rotor & tune with more rpms, that's it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
.. so .. has anyone installed the “R” tune on this motor? .. can it be installed? And if so.. not having lightened components and lower compression .. how would it effect it?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts