Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you guys use ear protection while riding, but I find the wind noise quite tiring while riding the Bobber. And after a long ride without buds I definitely hear the ringing in my ears. Damaging to say the least!
I have been testing quite a few different types of ear buds and i have come to the conclusion that two types are the best:

1) Wax earplugs that form a good seal around the ear. BUT I hate the residue they leave both on the ears and hands. They also have to be rolled and warmed up before placed in each ear.

2) Isolate earplugs made from titanium
The ISOLATE Noise Blockers By Flare Audio ? Headfonics

I have also had special buds custom made to fit my ears, but for all the length and trouble that takes (and cost), I highly recommend the Isolates instead. They do a fantastic job reducing noise and are so comfy/small that you don't even notice they are in - even with a helmet on.

Just thought I'd share my findings with the forum.

** testing done with various 3/4 helmets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N2JLXRR/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494578607&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=isolate+ear+plugs&dpPl=1&dpID=41rb0mtJEtL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree and always try to wear some ear protection on long'ish rides. I have a set of Sennheiser noise blocking earphones I connect onto my Sena before Pulling away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree and always try to wear some ear protection on long'ish rides. I have a set of Sennheiser noise blocking earphones I connect onto my Sena before Pulling away.

Sennheiser are excellent.
I use them when travelling.

What i like about the Isolate is the fact they are so small and don't protrude from the ear canal. So even if the helmet has a tight fit around the ears, they don't disturb, move around or become unlodged.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel a lot more comfortable without all the wind noise, and riding is a lot more enjoyable with ear plugs.
I have been using Hearos disposable ear plugs. They are pretty comfortable. I am also looking into getting following:

LiveMusic: https://www.amazon.com/LiveMus-HearSafe-Silicone-Triple-Noise-Cancelling/dp/B00H2F87I8/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494612270&sr=8-1&keywords=live+music+ear+plugs&th=1

They have good reviews and good warranty. Have any of you used them?
I have not tried them, but they have good reviews online.
For motorbike, it seems they allow enough noise through without cutting out too much in the process.
Let us know how you get on with them if you go ahead with the purchase.

I am super happy with the titanium body ear buds due to the fact that they block out all the annoying noise and yet i don't feel cut off or isolated like with standard/wax buds. All of the stimulation comes in via bone conduction. Feels great when riding! Hard to explain, but really does feel different in a good way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the standard squidgy ones. They're normally at bike shows for doing the ear moulds but you can get your own done and post in too.

Hth!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well after 40 miles of motorway to bed in 5th and 6th gears, I have to say, compare to the winsblast channeled off the tiger screen (Tried 4 screens on the tiger and an additional blade on the top of the last one that made it flex a little scarily in 3 digits) the bobber is very silent, pure windplast over an Arai is no problem at all compared to the tubetrain racket i'm used to (earplugs were 100% absolute necessity on the tiger) and no earplugs needed at all.

However I must admit my hearing is shot and I do have 2 hearingaids for general use so maybe 30 years of bikes have buggered me up along the way - that and shooting 1000 - 1500 rounds a week (mix of .44 +P+. 9mm and .45 in pistols for 3 years probably didnt help.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Well after 40 miles of motorway to bed in 5th and 6th gears, I have to say, compare to the winsblast channeled off the tiger screen (Tried 4 screens on the tiger and an additional blade on the top of the last one that made it flex a little scarily in 3 digits) the bobber is very silent, pure windplast over an Arai is no problem at all compared to the tubetrain racket i'm used to (earplugs were 100% absolute necessity on the tiger) and no earplugs needed at all.

However I must admit my hearing is shot and I do have 2 hearingaids for general use so maybe 30 years of bikes have buggered me up along the way - that and shooting 1000 - 1500 rounds a week (mix of .44 +P+. 9mm and .45 in pistols for 3 years probably didnt help.
What the! Man I hope that ammo was free.....that's a lot of $ over 3 years.... I shoot very seldom due to the price of ammo...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful in Comifornia. I have been ticketed for wearing ear protection. Officer ****, I mean Cook, hates motorcyclist. He will site you for ear protection. He uses the ear bud code but ignores the exemption for ear protection. I have explained to him riding causes deafness. If you rode for seven hours straight without ear protection you can go deaf. He tried blaming loud exhaust. I told him if he thinks my Ducati is loud you should hear the wind noise. Anyway if riding in CA remember there is an exemption for hearing protection. I don't remember the code off the top of my head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been using Surefire EP4's for the past several years during everything from short grocery store jaunts to my annual 9.5 hour ride to Vegas. They reduce the wind noise just enough and work well with the Sena speakers in my helmets. The nice part is the flange that allows you to tune to noise cancellation to a certain extent.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been running high rpm chainsaws my whole life without any ear protection, my largest being a Stihl 088 125cc ported and modded saw that carries a 60" bar. I always felt that like any other part of the body that it strengthens a challenged part, like the eardrum and my ears are fine. I do wear muffs at the range tho like an ex Marine like you probably does DevilDog?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been running high rpm chainsaws my whole life without any ear protection, my largest being a Stihl 088 125cc ported and modded saw that carries a 60" bar. I always felt that like any other part of the body that it strengthens a challenged part, like the eardrum and my ears are fine. I do wear muffs at the range tho like an ex Marine like you probably does DevilDog?
Ordinarily, you'd be correct on working to strengthen parts; however, in this case the audiologist explained about those pesky inner ear hairs, which once they tire so badly and die, they're gone or greatly diminished. No recovery and no working out those inner hairs to restore them. Then, when your older than the hills like I am, you'll require hearing aids (especially in places like cafeterias or meeting halls). Yet, it's certainly your call...just sayin'.

BTW, this advise is from a Marine (not an ex-Marine, ain't no such thing--double negative thrown in at no extra charge) who didn't want to wear glasses since he thought it made him look weak. :)

Reactions: getor

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ordinarily, you'd be correct on working to strengthen parts; however, in this case the audiologist explained about those pesky inner ear hairs, which once they tire so badly and die, they're gone or greatly diminished. No recovery and no working out those inner hairs to restore them. Then, when your older than the hills like I am, you'll require hearing aids (especially in places like cafeterias or meeting halls). Yet, it's certainly your call...just sayin'.

BTW, this advise is from a Marine (not an ex-Marine, ain't no such thing--double negative thrown in at no extra charge) who didn't want to wear glasses since he thought it made him look weak. :)
Ditto with the hearing aids. I certainly would have protected my hearing if I had known.
Mind you hearing aids are way better these days. Mine are controlled by an app on my iPhone!
Still a pain having to take them out and put them in a case before a ride.

I knew a bloke who wore a condom on each ear because he was worried about hearing aids.

·
Registered
56 Posts

It is unlikely you are any older than I am only because not many people, especially people that still ride, are older than I am. It is hard I suppose to argue with your listed expert audiologist (never heard of one...but ok) but the fact remains that is difficult to discount when one person has run the course of a life expectancy and gives that which could be considered "scientific" data as such. I just been feeling you out to see if you ARE an ex Marine (like I am as opposed to active duty Marine) for obvious reasons re your "there are no ex Marines" quote. But my experience stands and I see it as maybe a little silly all this ear protection when I never used any and never will and will hit the finish line hearing just as good as anyone.

But you will NEVER see not wearing a helmet and even just riding 20 mph around my block again after having a tumbling crash 2 mos. ago where the helmet saved my life as a clear fact. Cheers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is unlikely you are any older than I am only because not many people, especially people that still ride, are older than I am. It is hard I suppose to argue with your listed expert audiologist (never heard of one...but ok) but the fact remains that is difficult to discount when one person has run the course of a life expectancy and gives that which could be considered "scientific" data as such. I just been feeling you out to see if you ARE an ex Marine (like I am as opposed to active duty Marine) for obvious reasons re your "there are no ex Marines" quote. But my experience stands and I see it as maybe a little silly all this ear protection when I never used any and never will and will hit the finish line hearing just as good as anyone.

But you will NEVER see not wearing a helmet and even just riding 20 mph around my block again after having a tumbling crash 2 mos. ago where the helmet saved my life as a clear fact. Cheers.
Yup, we all decide what is important to us while riding. If I'm tooling around my small town I may or may not wear a helmet, knowing the risks, and I don't always wear earplugs (that is, until the wind gets to me and I pull over to put them in).

As for the term, Marine: while there might be a few who weren't transformed into a Marine who served in the Corps, most of us (including me who has been retired for 17 years) identify ourselves simply as Marines, the 'ex-' being abhorrent since the identity doesn't drop when you get out or retire.

Reactions: chezqui
1 - 20 of 48 Posts