Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does anyone wear ear buds (for listening to music) instead of ear plugs? To kind of do the same function as ear buds but also obviously to listen to music while riding? It is actually illegal to ride with two ear buds in your ears in my state, but you can ride with one in. Kind of strange, I guess to preserve awareness.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Does anyone wear ear buds (for listening to music) instead of ear plugs? To kind of do the same function as ear buds but also obviously to listen to music while riding? It is actually illegal to ride with two ear buds in your ears in my state, but you can ride with one in. Kind of strange, I guess to preserve awareness.
I know a few guys that ride with ear buds connected via Bluetooth to phone, Satnav etc..
no problem in the UK you can ride with flowers sticking out of your ears if you like👍👍

·
Registered
654 Posts
Buzzing round town never, I like to hear what's going on.

Motorway's for shorter trips, max orange earplugs work wonders for the constant wind noise still leaves you some situational hearing

Long distance/all day riding - I have BT earmoulds done so i can hear my satnav (or music if that's your thing), but the noise isolation is high, you can have a police car on blues up your chuff and wouldn't hear them.

Exhaust noise is not really a factor compared tot he wind blast imho.

Reactions: Aitch and ABV2020

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you guys use ear plugs while driving your Bobber?
Does it depend on which helmet, or are you never using?
Myself, I have never used them, even though I do most of my riding with my half helmet
I use them all the time , got the shoei j cruiser 2 helmet and it’s nice and quiet but I still use my ear plugs.you should use ear plugs, if you do ride a lot you will have long term damage on your ears not using ear plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Myself, I have never used them, even though I do most of my riding with my half helmet
Rode with ear plugs for the first time today after reading this string (Shoei Neotec 2 helmet). Just took out the chin guard because it was so hot. But it got loud. Love the lack of wind noise with the plugs in but made the music very quiet, even when turned way up. Will buy a pair of the low frequency blocking ones on Friday and give them a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Bobber with the Weslake pipes and Motone xpipe it is very loud but I don't find it unpleasant unlike my Triumph Street Triple. I don't use earplugs and wear a Schuberth flip front helmet

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
139 Posts
I have tinnitus, but not from riding, though I know it may have been an additional factor. I have ear plugs but rarely remember to put them in before I ride. If you can remember to put them in wear them.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The problem isn’t often the loud pipes but, the wind. It will get you over time. And because it’s a very slow process, you tend not to notice it until it’s too late. Sometimes it can show up years after prolonged riding where wind noise is above 85 dBa.
Full face helmets certainly help but even these can generate a dangerous amount of wind noise. A lot depends on the conditions and length of exposure.

A number of studies have been done with bicycle racers. Admittedly they don’t wear the protective headgear that motorcyclists do but, then again they’re not going as fast. The conclusion, though were very clear. The wind noise even at slower speeds caused some serious problems.

I find wearing a good set of earplugs (of which there are plenty in the $25-30 range) is hardly an inconvenience, doesn’t affect your ability to hear traffic or road noise, works well with comms and are not uncomfortable. Let’s face it, not everyone who doesn’t wear earplugs will eventually experience hearing loss, just like not everyone who smokes gets lung disease. But, why chance being one of the unlucky ones. It’s an easy, inexpensive preventative measure.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've never been a fan because I find it deadens my sense of awareness to much.
Few of my mates where then all the time. You can tell when they forget to take them out once off the bike because they shout at you lol

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
139 Posts
The problem isn’t often the loud pipes but, the wind. It will get you over time. And because it’s a very slow process, you tend not to notice it until it’s too late. Sometimes it can show up years after prolonged riding where wind noise is above 85 dBa.
Full face helmets certainly help but even these can generate a dangerous amount of wind noise. A lot depends on the conditions and length of exposure.

A number of studies have been done with bicycle racers. Admittedly they don’t wear the protective headgear that motorcyclists do but, then again they’re not going as fast. The conclusion, though were very clear. The wind noise even at slower speeds caused some serious problems.

I find wearing a good set of earplugs (of which there are plenty in the $25-30 range) is hardly an inconvenience, doesn’t affect your ability to hear traffic or road noise, works well with comms and are not uncomfortable. Let’s face it, not everyone who doesn’t wear earplugs will eventually experience hearing loss, just like not everyone who smokes gets lung disease. But, why chance being one of the unlucky ones. It’s an easy, inexpensive preventative measure.
Just to note I ride with a half shell helmet 90% of the time and wear a Bell full face on occasion, if it is cold enough or a good chance of rain. But to the point, my full face has more wind, or louder, noise that the half shell. It is almost like it amplifies the noise enough to be noticeable but not uncomfortable. So while I am sure some better full face helmets can but wind noise to an extent each person needs to do their research before buying a full face and expecting wind protection.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
yes, entirely possible regarding full vs. half shell. tough to get dBA measurements when you’re riding though. 🤔. I wear a full face for the chin protection more than for noise abatement. By, i love the look of half shell. In the end i think it comes down to personal choice though, whether it’s full face or half shell, wearing earplugs or not. like the man once said “you pays yer money and you take yer chance.” Your head, your hearing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have tinnitus so bad I was suicidal a year ago. Now I've learned to live with it (and it's still loud AF) but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
139 Posts
I have been meaning to try that. Thanks.
I will not say it is a 100% cure but I have been using it for about a year and it does help with tinnitus and general aches and pains. It is not instant and don't waste your money on the low mg stuff. I buy at CBD distillery but you can buy local or there are plenty more online places.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have read the best thing for tinnitus is CBD/THC 50/50 but can't get it here in Florida yet unless you have a medical card, which I'm sure my doc would happily get me one if I asked. I just ordered some high potent CBD oil so will try that first.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts