Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use ear plugs while driving your Bobber?
Does it depend on which helmet, or are you never using?
Myself, I have never used them, even though I do most of my riding with my half helmet

Premium Member
Before I retired I was a safety officer in a furniture factory. Part of getting my qualifications many years ago was the use of PPE. Hearing loss in industry is a massive problem and anything you can do to protect your hearing, which deteriorates with age anyway is a good thing.
I always wear ear plugs when riding and have done since the early 90鈥檚 you don鈥檛 need fancy expensive ones. Even the cheap disposable foam plugs are a benefit over not wearing any at all.
Hearing loss through noise exposure is a slow process and can go unnoticed until it鈥檚 to late It鈥檚 your call but my advice is it鈥檚 never to late to start saving what you have.馃憤

Registered
Never leave home without them. I'm running unbaffled Tridents, but it was wind noise in my helmet that was most bothersome. Earplugs tone down wind and exhaust racket in both my modular and 3/4 face helmets. Try em, you'll like em. Currently using Pinlock: Earplugs | Pinlock

Registered
You will experience significant wind noise with even the best helmet on the planet.... Then there is the loud exhaust note that you may or may not have.... I wear ear plugs whenever I ride, even on my electric motorcycle.... AND with the right plugs, you can still hear sirens, squealing tires, horns, etc....

Super Moderator
I didn't years ago, and now have the hearing aids to compensate... Your choice... My advice would be to use plugs and delay the need for hearing aids...

Registered
I didn't years ago, and now have the hearing aids to compensate... Your choice... My advice would be to use plugs and delay the need for hearing aids...
Agree. It鈥檚 a little like when FRAM filters introduced its iconic slogan in 1970, 鈥淵ou can pay me now, or pay me later鈥,
If you鈥檙e lucky you won鈥檛 pay for it later (i.e. not wearing earplugs) but, not everyone is. Don鈥檛 ask how I know this 馃お

Premium Member
I've never worn them until recently and my hearing is on the decline now which maybe attributed to 26 years of riding. I've always hated the feel of anything in my ears but I shelled out and had some custom plugs made. They are brilliant and I forget I am wearing them 90% of the time.

Registered
I sat an front row or near way roo many hard rock concerts, done lots of target shooting and almost all of my bikes have had loud pipes. I have tenitis now and it's like being in forest on a summer night and hearing hundreds of bugs and insects doing their mating calls even right now as I'm posting. May be too late for plugs for me. I would highly recommend them.

Super Moderator
My hearing aids remove my tinnitus when I'm wearing them in the daytime. My tinnitus is a continual high pitched tone, and the audiologist explained it thus: The damage to my hearing is to the high frequencies, so my brain compensates for the lack of high pitch by interpolating the tinnitus noise...

Registered
My wife tells me all the time I need to look into some hearing aids. The hard headed," I'm not old damnit" part is going away fast and starting to be reality.

Registered
of course, as it鈥檚 your wife, it could be that common husband malady known as 鈥渟elective hearing.鈥 馃槀 but, if she鈥檚 really noticing it, it鈥檚 probably time. the longer you wait, the harder it is to deal with it. after the initial period, you鈥檒l hardly know they鈥檙e there. just think how few times you鈥檒l say 鈥渨hat?鈥 馃

Registered
I use the yellow 3M ear plugs. I have been using them for 30 years. I even sleep in them.

Registered
Custom plugs for me, I have light tinnitus and it is getting worse with age. Anything I can do to prevent further damage.

now... back to fitting that new set of pipes 馃ぃ

1 - 20 of 56 Posts