Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that North American Bobbers have only two options for lights: dipped and high beam. Seems everyone else has three? DRL, dipped, and high beam. Is it a matter of just replacing the switchgear to enable DRL?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Not sure about that one.
DRL (daytime running lights) have been law here in Europe for quite a while now and there is no way to turn off your headlight. We also have the option of dipped or high beam only. The light has to be on as soon as the the ignition is switched on.
So what it’s the third option you are asking about?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hate daytime running lights. Our late model Triumphs, as are some other marques delivered OEM configured with DRL, however it is not a legislated by law requirement.
If there is an option to disable DRL (other than modifying the wiring) I'd like to know.

·
Registered
408 Posts
While DRL have not been mandated here in the USA, many manufacturers have opted to have them installed in USA delivered models, both for safety and of course, saving $$ as Canadian delivered vehicles require this. Early model cars used the “high beam at half brilliance” method and many/most have now gone to another bulb and lens to provide that feature. When I worked at Ford, we could access the feature on the ECU and turn it on or off as the customer request.....for a fee of course. Jm2c

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about that one.
DRL (daytime running lights) have been law here in Europe for quite a while now and there is no way to turn off your headlight. We also have the option of dipped or high beam only. The light has to be on as soon as the the ignition is switched on.
So what it’s the third option you are asking about?
Maybe I’m confused (not unusual). My understanding of the switchgear for the rest of the world was that the front trigger flashes high beam and the rider facing switch toggled between high and low beam? DRL turns on automatically with ignition on?

I’d like the high beam flash setting.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Here is how the EU Bobbers come from the factory (cruise control and heated grips are after market accessories for the 2017 Bobber):

Hope the pics help.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I’ve noticed that North American Bobbers have only two options for lights: dipped and high beam. Seems everyone else has three? DRL, dipped, and high beam. Is it a matter of just replacing the switchgear to enable DRL?
Yes and No.

Yes - you can buy the DRL headlight and updated switch gear as an optional extra for the standard Bobber, so I can't see why it wouldn't be the same for the Bobber Black.

No - you won't be able to do it as it's probably not legal in the US?

I believe the US has a law that to avoid confusion??? The DRL has to switch off while the indicator is flashing, here's a quote from Cycle World's Bobber Black review:

The look is denser, lower, and chunkier than with the standard Bobber. In the EU and some other markets, the Black gets an all-LED headlight, but one that doesn’t comply with US regulations and will not be offered here; instead the US model is fitted with the same halogen bulb with daytime running light (DRL) as used in the regular Bobber.

I guess Triumph didn't want to bother with a US only light spec and fitted a standard light instead? :nerd:

·
Registered
42 Posts
the US model is fitted with the same halogen bulb with daytime running light (DRL) as used in the regular Bobber.

I guess Triumph didn't want to bother with a US only light spec and fitted a standard light instead? :nerd:
I'm not sure about you, but my 2018 bobber black appears to have an LED headlight, including the DRL and the low/high beam. The DRL cannot be run alone, however. It is interesting that the EU spec bobbers also do not have low beams you can turn off. Maybe not all EU spec bikes are exactly the same?

My Thruxton came with a halogen low/high beam and an LED DRL, FWIW.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not sure about you, but my 2018 bobber black appears to have an LED headlight, including the DRL and the low/high beam. The DRL cannot be run alone, however. It is interesting that the EU spec bobbers also do not have low beams you can turn off. Maybe not all EU spec bikes are exactly the same?

My Thruxton came with a halogen low/high beam and an LED DRL, FWIW.
Where are you from? I'm guessing you're in the US? Maybe there are different rules for different states?

I've got the standard Bobber (original and best) so no DRL for me, but I did have a test ride on the BB and from what I can remember there was an option to switch between DRL or the normal headlight either full or dipped but I could wrong about that, maybe someone who actually owns one let us know how it works?

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can remember there was an option to switch between DRL or the normal headlight either full or dipped but I could wrong about that, maybe someone who actually owns one let us know how it works?
I thought the toggle switch allowed rider to switch between DRL w or w/out lights. One of the pictures clearly shows headlight off while DRL is on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where are you from? I'm guessing you're in the US? Maybe there are different rules for different states?

I've got the standard Bobber (original and best) so no DRL for me, but I did have a test ride on the BB and from what I can remember there was an option to switch between DRL or the normal headlight either full or dipped but I could wrong about that, maybe someone who actually owns one let us know how it works?
Hmm, I forgot to put my location. I'm in Springfield, VA. Lighting is universal over here. Some states have some more restrictive turn signal or reflector laws, but the DRL type stuff is federal.

I didn't originally notice that Eisen's bike is not a BB, so that may explain the lack of a headlight switch. I'd imagine it would look like the European Thruxton switch cube.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With the ignition on and the front DRL toggle switch set to DRL, the DRL portion on the headlight unit is lit (the bit that looks like an open face lid). Under this condition you can use the high beam trigger to flash the high beam. Switch the DRL toggle to down to dipped, the DRL portion of the headlight goes off and the dipped light comes on. In this condition, pulling the high beam trigger turns on the high beam. A second pull of the trigger turns it off. Although laying in bed writing this, I could be wrong, however, I’m not getting out of bed to check until tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the ignition on and the front DRL toggle switch set to DRL, the DRL portion on the headlight unit is lit (the bit that looks like and open face lid). Under this condition you can use the high beam trigger to flash the high beam. Switch the DRL toggle to dipped, the DRL portion of the headlight goes off and the dipped light comes on. In this condition, pulling the high beam trigger turns on the high beam. A second pull of the trigger turns it off. Although laying in bed writing this, I could be wrong, however, I’m not getting out of bed to check until tomorrow morning.
Sorry about the crude finger writing.
Yes! Exactly what I want on my US spec bike. I’m just wondering if it’s a simple as just installing the switchgear?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes! Exactly what I want on my US spec bike. I’m just wondering if it’s a simple as just installing the switchgear?
Try speaking with the guys at https://motodemic.com/ as they mod lights for bobbers over there. They might be able to tell you where or what cables to slice into to add it or point you in the fight direction. I’m not sure how your switches look on your hand controls if they are different to the UK spec bobber black. If you have to get new switch gear, add the cruise control, you may even have to add a relay for the extra light condition. I love my cruise on motorways (highways?).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try speaking with the guys at https://motodemic.com/ as they mod lights for bobbers over there. They might be able to tell you where or what cables to slice into to add it or point you in the fight direction. I’m not sure how your switches look on your hand controls if they are different to the UK spec bobber black. If you have to get new switch gear, add the cruise control, you may even have to add a relay for the extra light condition. I love my cruise on motorways (highways?).
I’ll reach out to them. My US spec BB has cruise and is the same in almost every way except for the DRL/dipped switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
now that I'm here.... you just need the switchcube from the UK market version. But then you'll need the UK spec headlight w/ a bright DRL.

I had to swap both on my Thruxton R to get a DRL with full brightness.

I'm buying my Bobber Black as we speak, and I already have a UK spec switchcube on order. I'll be doing the same on this bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts