Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I wear hi Viz almost year round on my GSA.

Admittedly, I’m a lot more style conscious on my Bobber so choose not to wear hi viz gear. But that’s my decision & not cause of what others say or think.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I rode adventure bikes I wore hi-vis gear. Now I don't.

I do wear a white helmet. I thought about an Arai neon yellow but went with white instead because a white helmet is supposed to be better at dusk.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have 3 reflective strips on my Textile jacket, I don't think it's possible to actually find a motorcycle specific textile jacket without such strips somewhere on them these days.

I dont generally wear any kind of high vis on my 'its probably not going to rain wear', I have the equivalent of a 100W headlamp pointing down the road and if some a$$hat has issues seeing that then a 2 inch wide yellow strap over my shoulder and tucked away under my stomach is not going to make any difference!

Is it a fashion statement, i suppose it is, but lets extrapolate the question - how many car drivers will be willing to drive a fluorescent yellow car or a striking neon vivid green one to be 'more visible'?

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I'm on my Tiger 800, I normally wear a neon yellow Nolan helmet and my Helite air bag vest, which is neon yellow and has some amazingly bright reflective tape on it. I wear the Helite
because in 2016 I got rear ended at a stop light and had my bike blown out from under me. Now granted, the hi-vis would have not helped in that particular situation, but I've learned that anything
I can do to increase visibility is a plus. I've even stuffed a pair of 10,000 Lumen LED bulbs in the Tiger, and believe me, people notice that. I even get high-beam flashed in broad daylight.

Now when I'm riding the Bobber or my Thruxton, I wear leather. I have both armored and non-armored Vanson jackets, and custom armored Vanson pants. I don't generally ride these bikes at night,
but I am much more aware when I do because without the Helite vest I feel somewhat more vulnerable. But the real reason for not wearing hi-vis is that I don't want to look like a dork riding a

Bobber or Thruxton in a bright yellow whale forskin suit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It definitely makes a difference at a distance, and when looking with a fixed gaze. Like for highway construction workers as you're cruising toward the worksite. But, I think there's something to be said for the fact that we see motion, then contrast, then color. It the quick moments where we're making turns, etc - and that it's supposed to help, I'm not sure color will do much. People either see a moving object turning against them or in the next lane - or they don't. I think having headlight/running lights makes a difference. Not so sure about color.
Just my ideas and observations, though, I have nothing to back them up. I'd love to see some scientific studies and not just anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It definitely makes a difference at a distance, and when looking with a fixed gaze. Like for highway construction workers as you're cruising toward the worksite. But, I think there's something to be said for the fact that we see motion, then contrast, then color. It the quick moments where we're making turns, etc - and that it's supposed to help, I'm not sure color will do much. People either see a moving object turning against them or in the next lane - or they don't. I think having headlight/running lights makes a difference. Not so sure about color.
Just my ideas and observations, though, I have nothing to back them up. I'd love to see some scientific studies and not just anecdotal evidence.
Spot on, well put, and here's the science. :nerd:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a neon yellow Aria helmet that I use on my BMWF650GS. I ride in the bush during hunting season.

I used to own an Aprilia Pegaso 650 - which is the twin to the F650. Aprilia used to make the F650 for BMW with the Rotax engine for the first few years, then BMW took over their own production for their bike. I loved the bike, and the only reason I sold it was because the 3 Aprilia dealerships in the are stopped selling and servicing Aprilia.

Anyway, I read the article and pretty much agree with it. I own a bright orange mesh summer jacket. I use it for my BMW and HD (orange is HD color, so no blowback there from other riders).

I only ride the Bobber with the orange Hi-Viz to work and back due to extreme traffic and everyone being half asleep at the wheel. Weekend pleasure riding - I wear a work shirt or leathers that are not Hi-Viz.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in Florida heat and humidity.. keeping cool is a must. I wear
Klim Induction Men's Street Motorcycle Jackets - Hi-Vis/X-Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HGPXG9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_o3JpDbB8MSART
it is very good and keeping me cool at speed and it is tolerable at stop lights.
the mesh keeps the air flowing nicely and includes armor in the usual areas.
it is not cheap.. but I am worth it.. lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Have to admit that article got me thinking a bit. Did make me think a bit about a vest since it's easy to pack and I don't have to wear it all the time. Don't currently ride with hi-viz although my summer Revit textile jacket has a bit of reflective tape. My other jackets (too many to name :) are either leather or waxed canvas. Then again, these days I avoid riding at night if at all possible. Just don't really enjoy it that much and if I get to where I'm going mid-to-late day, I'm done. Ready for a drink and some food. As far as fashion, yes, I admit to subscribing to that, particularly on the Bobber.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't wear it in the car either...or maybe I should, 'cos it might stop other drivers from pulling out at junctions and onto roundabouts when they've clearly seen me and causing me to slam my brakes on...and they could have waited 2 seconds as there's nothing behind me! You get one the horn, and the response is a middle finger out of the window!
Safety on the road is down to driving standards and considerate attitudes, not lemon coloured clothing...in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I wore a hi-vis jacket my first year on the bike, and my riding buddy mentioned a few times throughout the year that he'd see cars start to turn left in front of us and then stop when they saw my jacket, but I honestly think it's more about movement than color. I'm sure there are situations where hi-vis may help people see movement at the same time, but most hi-vis yellow seems to wash out over time on clothing anyway. My rain gear is hi-vis, and I definitely stand out in stormy weather when all around me on the road is dark. Now I tend to wear black or white more for the style. My go-to riding shirt in the summer is this black and white Milwaukee Performance flannel. Keeps the sun off me and gives me some protection without all the bulk of a jacket...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHGXD9T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts