Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful consideration I decided not to get whitewalls when my first set of Avon Cobras was finished. Call me lazy, but I´m just not that much into scrubbing grey tire flanks. Nevertheless I liked the black and white look very much, so I decided to take some forum member´s advice to at least paint the letters with paint markers.
Three letters in my back hurt like **** and the letters looked awful. Maybe I´m just not talented as an artist. So I washed it off with paint thinner and went back to the drawing board.
I came up with an interesting alternative: Actual homemade decals. It´s just a test for now since I used only materials I had at home. So I can make absolutely no statement about durability. But I think it looks pretty cool.
Here´s what I did so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looks great and better than using a pen. Mine now look like crap. I am getting the chrome tires soon myself can you share your files? And what material is the sticker? Vinyl?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks great and better than using a pen. Mine now look like crap. I am getting the chrome tires soon myself can you share your files? And what material is the sticker? Vinyl?
The sticker material is Oracal 751C. It´s a regular high quality vinyl sticker that is used to make decals for any kinds of letterings on car windows etc. Not sure if that exact make is available in the States. It´s pretty standard though and you will surely find something comparable.
Here´s my file. Make sure to remove the .txt-ending. I had to append .txt because this forum does not allow uploading .svg files.
One more thing: you will have to adjust the scaling for each of the three words separately since it may not be exact. And of course the letters on the front tires are smaller than the ones on the rear. I made my traces from the rear tire and have not checked if the lettering is exactly the same on the front regarding curvature. But I´m on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
The sticker material is Oracal 751C. It´s a regular high quality vinyl sticker that is used to make decals for any kinds of letterings on car windows etc. Not sure if that exact make is available in the States. It´s pretty standard though and you will surely find something comparable.
Here´s my file. Make sure to remove the .txt-ending. I had to append .txt because this forum does not allow uploading .svg files.
One more thing: you will have to adjust the scaling for each of the three words separately since it may not be exact. And of course the letters on the front tires are smaller than the ones on the rear. I made my traces from the rear tire and have not checked if the lettering is exactly the same on the front regarding curvature. But I´m on it.
Great stuff, thank you! And do update this thread on how they hold up. Only issue I can think of is when washing/scrubbing the tires, but with some care perhaps it's a non-issue. This would definitely save a lot of time and look way cleaner.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great stuff, thank you! And do update this thread on how they hold up. Only issue I can think of is when washing/scrubbing the tires, but with some care perhaps it's a non-issue. This would definitely save a lot of time and look way cleaner.
Will do. I usually hand wash with a rug and soft brush, so I don´t expect any issues. I wouldn´t dare try a pressure washer. If the color holds up I will possibly try thinking up a more permanent way for fixation. I´m thinking some kind of rubber or instant glue instead of just the vinyl´s adhesive.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Will do. I usually hand wash with a rug and soft brush, so I don´t expect any issues. I wouldn´t dare try a pressure washer. If the color holds up I will possibly try thinking up a more permanent way for fixation. I´m thinking some kind of rubber or instant glue instead of just the vinyl´s adhesive.
What you could have is a negative template that can be placed over the letters and then can just spray or paint over the template. That would be the most permanent solution I would think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you could have is a negative template that can be placed over the letters and then can just spray or paint over the template. That would be the most permanent solution I would think.
Wow... That´s a genius idea! Why didn´t I think of that o_O It´s practically the same manufacturing process with inverted files and a clear material as a reusable stencil. Hats off to you, @Mrl72 !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts