Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ho chaps!

Any of the Bobberhood donning tweeds in September to take part in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride? This will be my first on the bobber, I don't think you could find a more suitable bike and this year Pork Scratchings MCC will be made up of my group of riding mates whose bikes include a Harley, BMW, Triumph Street Twin, Vespa, maybe a Kawasaki or two, possibly an Indian Chief and then there's Rupert who will no doubt bring one of his collection of vintage bikes (anywhere from 1913 onwards) and steal all the limelight. The Peugot 350cc single in the middle of the group was possibly the most photographed bike of the Bristol ride last year and cropped up everywhere.

Registrations have opened a little earlier than the published date of 1 August (UK anyway) and the ride is worldwide on Sunday 29 September.

I heartily encourage everyone to take part if there is a ride nearby as the event raises money for research into prostate cancer and also funds programs dealing with men's mental health issues and suicide prevention, all things which have a huge but not often discussed impact.

So if you can scrape together some posh togs, register for your local ride and get your friends, family and co-workers to donate a few pounds/dollars/euros/bitcoins for you to ride your calssic/vintage styled bike you can help make a difference. If you are unable to make to a ride, maybe think about slinging that cash in the direction of someone who is taking part. And, if you don't know anyone who is taking part, then you can always donate to my collection via my DGR profile page:

https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/EdBobber

Cheers, Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’ll be riding for sure. I’m in Thailand and the event is very well followed. The triumph dealerships in Bangkok all take part and also the dealer in Khon Kaen Province which is much closer to me. I haven’t yet decided whether to sign up for Bangkok or KK. I have a friend visiting from the UK who will also join. It’s going to be a fun week because the following weekend we have the MOTO GP in Buriram. The track is only 30km from my house.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure who is sponsoring the ride in Savannah this year... I’ve spoken to people and the “politics” of the DGR is a bit difficult. Especially with Triumph being a main sponsor.
We shall see, on the bright side, I pick up another 17 Bobber tomorrow morning. This one is for my wife, I’m getting tired of her taking mine to work...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sadly my Bobber is in LA and I’ll be in Denver that weekend. Fortunately I have a cafe racer Ducati in Denver so I’m going to try signing up for the Denver ride.

·
Registered
168 Posts
... well, got my e-mail stating “registration” is open.. got registered. The site won’t let u see any info on the ride unless u register (weird). Looked at the ride, no info other than the contact.. I know it’s still early.. no big HOWEVER.. I wanted to see or look at rides nearby.(Charleston Jacksonville).. you can’t view ANYTHING..
You have to be registered for a specific ride to view the route (when it gets posted)..
kinda crappy if u ask me..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done this last year it was a great laugh and the weather held out rare occasion for the Uk in September. I have ssigned up again for the Bristol ride!
Are you in Bristol itself @Bobber7 or on outskirts? Hopefully will meet at same location as last year as is about 3 minutes from my house. Also I'm, not on my sh*tty Chinese 125 anymore so hopefully I'll get out of the car park this time without it failing on me.

E

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've enjoyed the DGR for the past four years in Townsville; only a small event up there, but fun nevertheless. Didn't don the tweed though... bit bloody hot for that up there. Looking forward to a (hopefully) cooler ride on the Gold Coast this year. Starting to look around for some tweed to orangify.
I was the photographer in Townsville for a couple of the events which was great, but also meant that I wasn't "on" the ride with everyone else as I always leaving after them, then taking short cuts to jump ahead to be in a position to take photos. Loved it though. Always an enjoyable day out. It'll be different down here though with hundreds of bikes.
Can't wait to see the pics of everyone all done up :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've enjoyed the DGR for the past four years in Townsville; only a small event up there, but fun nevertheless. Didn't don the tweed though... bit bloody hot for that up there. Looking forward to a (hopefully) cooler ride on the Gold Coast this year. Starting to look around for some tweed to orangify.
I was the photographer in Townsville for a couple of the events which was great, but also meant that I wasn't "on" the ride with everyone else as I always leaving after them, then taking short cuts to jump ahead to be in a position to take photos. Loved it though. Always an enjoyable day out. It'll be different down here though with hundreds of bikes.
Can't wait to see the pics of everyone all done up :D
Maybe there should be a thread for the Bobberhood when suited and booted - It would be great to see everyone in their glad rags

·
Registered
62 Posts
Strange question guys but here goes.....what is everyone's attire for the ride? I get the tweed etc but I'm a bit of a stickler for the safety aspect as boring as that sounds- I just like having skin if something should go wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strange question guys but here goes.....what is everyone's attire for the ride? I get the tweed etc but I'm a bit of a stickler for the safety aspect as boring as that sounds- I just like having skin if something should go wrong.
Last year I wore a tweed 3 piece, with a Forcefield back protector underneath. I also wore some Road Skin kevlar lined leggings to protect the legs. It's a very slow paced ride and well marshalled so fingers crossed accidents are few and far between.

I'm thinking plus fours this year...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts