Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just bought my Bobber with 81 miles on I have been to my local dealer in Newcastle and booked it in a few weeks time for its 1st service (500 miles), they have quoted £150. Does that sound about right ?
I’m not penny pinching but as we all know with buying a new bike comes all the other stuff you need,insurance, tax, clothing, etc

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Have just bought my Bobber with 81 miles on I have been to my local dealer in Newcastle and booked it in a few weeks time for its 1st service (500 miles), they have quoted £150. Does that sound about right ?
I’m not penny pinching but as we all know with buying a new bike comes all the other stuff you need,insurance, tax, clothing, etc
I’m pretty sure my dealer said that it would be just under £100.

Anyone?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I did it myself. Oil, filter and my time! Priceless!

·
Registered
694 Posts
It’s great to do your own servicing and save money, but if you don’t get an authorised dealer stamp in your book aren’t you worried about your warranty or the effect it’ll have on the second hand price when/if you ever decide to sell a bike with no service record?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Same here. I would imagine that having a dealer service is however part of the warranty, so they could mess you about if you dont get it done at a dealer and subsequently make a claim. However I prefer doing the work myself and the chances of a catastrophic engine failure in the first two years strikes me as negligible. £150 sounds to me a bit steep. £100 would be closer to the mark. Its just 4 litres of oil at say £30 a filter at maybe £10 and half an hours labour. Its basically an oil change, inspection and probably hook up to the OBD for any software updates.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just had a look, my first service was £68.60
oil
filter
sundries

There's a guy in the facebook group who just had his bobber rescued on a recovery vehicle - oil pressure problems apparently. I wouldn't want to risk losing warranty.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I thought the south was supposed to be expensive :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
408 Posts
It’s great to do your own servicing and save money, but if you don’t get an authorised dealer stamp in your book aren’t you worried about your warranty or the effect it’ll have on the second hand price when/if you ever decide to sell a bike with no service record?
First, I keep diligent records of all my vehicles maintenance and after a brief talk the buyer would understand my passion for doing it right! Also, USA laws regulate that you cannot be held firm to have an authorized dealer perform your maintenance. My bike has been at the dealer for 5 weeks to get a clamp straightened out and new inner tubes under warranty! Why would I ever trust someone that takes customer service so lightly to ever service my bike with my money? ?
I would find a more trusted mechanic to do the work I cannot. Rant over! ?

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Was close to 300 dollars for me. Included the fluid changes, chain check and lube, and went over all (yeah right?) nuts and bolts to ensure everything was as it should be.

VIN is on record with Triumph for having 1st service done and certified.

Beyond that, will do myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have sent this enquiry to Triumph uk -

I have just purchased a 2017 Triumph Bobber privately, it has only 81 miles on it.
I had contacted the dealer who supplied the bike (Team Roberts, Doncaster) and they advised that the first service was due at 500 miles and would cost £69.99 however as I do not live locally I was advised to contact my local dealer in Newcastle.
I have booked my bike into Triumph Newcastle and they tell me the cost is £150.
I have contacted various Triumph dealers and it seems that there in no standard price for what would be exactly the same service.
Carlisle £150
York £95
West Yorkshire £175
Edinburgh £180.53
Glasgow £196
London (metropolis) £221
Romford £200
Manchester £190

I seems that your Triumph dealers can charge what ever they want, can I have an explanation to this.

Regards
Dave Mitchell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't forget that if you buy the bike from new that the labour if free for the first 500 mile service - just need to pay for the oil and filter at around £50. Mine is booked in at Fowlers, Bristol for next month so not 100% sure of the exact cost.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Don't forget that if you buy the bike from new that the labour if free for the first 500 mile service - just need to pay for the oil and filter at around £50. Mine is booked in at Fowlers, Bristol for next month so not 100% sure of the exact cost.
No mention of FREE in any paperwork I received! Maybe your dealer is doing it as a favor to new bike purchases? All posts as to costs on the forum show significantly more than your quote. Good luck. ??

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I seem to recall a couple of members posting a print out of what and all the 1st service covers. Did a quick search but couldn't locate the image of the checklist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No mention of FREE in any paperwork I received! Maybe your dealer is doing it as a favor to new bike purchases? All posts as to costs on the forum show significantly more than your quote. Good luck. ����

This is a copy of the OTR price statement from Triumph - "**On-the-road retail price inclusive of first registration fee, Vehicle Excise Duty, manufacturer’s delivery to retailer, number plate, petrol, first service labour† and VAT @ 20%, 12 months complimentary Triumph Assist cover with every new Triumph. European Rescue now included. Twin colour premium may apply. We reserve the right to amend prices and parts (including colour) at any time and without notice. †When performed by the supplying dealer. "

So labour is free for all UK new bikes for the 1st Service. So I guess this is not the case in the US!!

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
… I used to work in the retail car trade at a franchised dealer. The price of the car included a "first service reserve" to cover the first service. All dealers did this, and if the car went elsewhere, the money came out of their first service reserve pot.

With regard to warranty, it has been illegal under EU law for many years for manufacturers to fail to honour warranty if they were not maintained by a franchise dealer of their make. It can be serviced by any professional maintainer (not an amateur) and (in this case) Triumph cannot deny their warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a copy of the OTR price statement from Triumph - "**On-the-road retail price inclusive of first registration fee, Vehicle Excise Duty, manufacturer’s delivery to retailer, number plate, petrol, first service labour† and VAT @ 20%, 12 months complimentary Triumph Assist cover with every new Triumph. European Rescue now included. Twin colour premium may apply. We reserve the right to amend prices and parts (including colour) at any time and without notice. †When performed by the supplying dealer. "

So labour is free for all UK new bikes for the 1st Service. So I guess this is not the case in the US!!
Well done UK! Definitely not the case in the US. It’s a flat-out profit center here, and one that they can charge however much they think they can get. For example: my selling dealer, 10 miles away in the city charges $330. Another dealer about 30 miles away and a little more rural charges $220. So a quarter tank of gas plus a pleasant back-road ride will save me $110. Easy decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just returned from my 500 mile service on the Bobber Black with the Pensacola, FL Triumph dealer. I live in South Alabama and this was the dealer I purchased the bike from. Final invoice was $246.05. Oil filter/oil change, 2 page checklist (which list the 500 mile, 10,000, 20,000, 40,000 inspections), and Triumph Diagnostic Tool printout. Labor was $150.00 with the balance of the invoice was for the oil, filter, shop supplies and disposal fee. It is what it is.

Ride over and back was great and the weather was perfect, 70 degrees F, SW breeze. The invoice amount, after the ride, I am already over it. After this first initial inspection, unless I have something come up that is a warranty issue, I will do the inspections/service on my Triumphs as I always have done.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have sent this enquiry to Triumph uk -

I have just purchased a 2017 Triumph Bobber privately, it has only 81 miles on it.
I had contacted the dealer who supplied the bike (Team Roberts, Doncaster) and they advised that the first service was due at 500 miles and would cost £69.99 however as I do not live locally I was advised to contact my local dealer in Newcastle.
I have booked my bike into Triumph Newcastle and they tell me the cost is £150.
I have contacted various Triumph dealers and it seems that there in no standard price for what would be exactly the same service.
Carlisle £150
York £95
West Yorkshire £175
Edinburgh £180.53
Glasgow £196
London (metropolis) £221
Romford £200
Manchester £190

I seems that your Triumph dealers can charge what ever they want, can I have an explanation to this.

Regards
Dave Mitchell

I totally understand that the Dealer who originally sold the bike may service the bike with no cost for labour but the figures don’t add up with the prices given. What does it actually cost for for an oil change and filter ? Why can a dealer charge £150 and another £221 that’s £71 extra for what ?

Anyway I’m not too upset about it all as I retire tomorrow and I have a Bobber in the Garage ??

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
If they use a full synth oil (which would be my preference) that will be at least £10 a litre (no discount), so (rough calc) it's £50 for the oil and filter as a minimum...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So I called my dealer as I’m fast approaching my 500 mike service. I asked how much it would cost and it was confirmed that labour is indeed free on the first service and that parts are all that need to be paid for.

Based on using their oil and filter I was told to expect a bill for between £50-£60 all in. This obviously includes a full inspection.

I personally plan to do a little research as I would like to understand what is the very best oil for our bikes. Any ideas on that front fella’s?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts