Triumph Bobber Forum banner

De pinning

6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  ZFLOYD 
#1 ·
Has anyone done any de pinning of their terminals yet? I bought these terminal keys and tried a little removal on my old wire harness that came with the OEM rear lights. Took a few tries to figure it out. The terminals are very fragile and not very friendly when it comes to pulling the pins out. Just wondering if anyone had a good tip. I’m wanting to run my wires in my handle bars, but I’m a bit nervous of messing up a terminal. Worst cast I would just solder the wires, but I would rather not.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
For the price vs. hassle, I think I'd just order new housings pins/sockets and re-make a clean, custom harness. Those housings are fragile and seem more like a one-time deal. The first time you use them, the sockets seem to snap in nicely, but if you take them out and put them back in, they don't seem to be as tight.
The company that makes the Triumph plugs is JST, and they're the JWPF series. They seem to have the full line at Digi-Key.

https://www.digikey.com/en/datasheets/jstsalesamericainc/jst-sales-america-inc-ejwpf

#12 ·

For anyone who's curious about how these type of connectors can be depinned. Here are some up close photos for a better look. Pop the white side clip out, pull the black cap off, then release the lever that the terminal is hooked onto and the wire can then easily be pulled right out. I was able to do this on all the bar wiring so that I could have it ran thru the bars, I took really good photos of each plug while it was connected to the wires to make sure the wires were in the correct spot and orientation when it came time to put them back together.

The hardest part was getting the wiring thru the bars. But the end result was well worth the extra effort. Hope this helps anyone who's trying to run the wiring thru the bars.

#14 ·
Thank you! I'm going for that really slimmed down look, kind of a less is more sorta thing haha.
With clip ons running the wiring thru them should be a breeze! Also there's a nice hole triumph made under the speedometer where all the wiring fits nicely thru. Instead of going around the Yokes I ran mine thru there. Don't know if that'll work with clip on but just another idea to help tidy up the bulky wiring on these bikes.

#16 ·
„Less is more“ is exactly what I‘m aiming for! And cleaned up fronts is so important. Also need to find a way to get the instrument a little lower. I‘ve already managed to do so with longer screws and spacers, but with the clip-ons I assume it has to come even lower to not disturb the flat line. ;) I‘ll share some pics once I‘m there... (but will most likely take a few weeks).

#19 ·
Currently it‘s about 2,5cm lower than original hight (and almost touches the headlight). I would need to lower the headlight, too, to allow the speedo to come even lower. I already have a plan for that...but not sure, if it‘ll work. Let me try it an follow up on it. ;) A headlight with integrated speedo would be awesome...but I‘m not willing to spend that much. So let‘s see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.