Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Custom Paint Preference?

• Idea 1: Retro

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Idea 2: Flake + Solid Split

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, I'll reply with a cool alternative!

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all --

As you may know, I recently turned my bobber into a White Knight:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

I'm a more eccentric person than a plain white bike, which actually surprised me, as I thought I would like the white. I planned to re-do the bike anyway, but my initial thoughts were that I would like it and I would just add a small twist. But, turns out I want to go bolder with the colors etc..

I think asking around might inspire some cool ideas, and might also be a fun thing to see come to life for some people (including myself of course).

Idea 1:
Hood Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive design Headlamp

Retro theme, with a crazy intense tank like this, and the fenders/bubbles will probably be one of the colors in here (most likely one of the lighter colors, like the light blue or yellow or even the off-white shade). I think if the tank is wild like this, the rest of the bike should probably be a solid color, although I would be down to do the rest of the bike a solid color with a bit of this design thrown in very minimally (edge of fenders maybe?)

Idea 2:
I like the idea I thought of, which I actually have yet to see despite searching for days upon days. I'm sure it is out there somewhere just never found it. Back half of the bike in a deep heavy flake, front half of the bike in a solid color, split diagonally across the tank with some accent color stripe (with that color also being the triumph logo probably)

I am BAD at photoshop, let's be real. But, I made these rough concepts:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

The blue would be a deep teal flake + lighter teal front. Green would actually be a NEON flake and probably a slightly darker front (so opposite the pic in regards to dark/light front/rear), red would be a ruby flake with a dark red + flame red front. These are all just some ideas because I know what flake and paint would be used for each, but anything is possible with paint combinations etc..
Again, the back half would be "split" from the front half coloring with a thin line of some color (maybe white?) and then the triumph logo would be in the standard place in a nice color matching to the line color. Can also be black or any color that pops if the design can take more color. Also down to do two different colors i.e. dark ruby flake rear + solid no-flake bright teal front.

Just throwing these ideas out there. I don't really want this to be a "standard" classic look
although those are great and obviously popular for a reason.
Might even try some really crazy letter techniques. Who knows. All opinions welcome thanks

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
for me (and my opinion only) where you messed up with the white was painting the mudguards and side panels, if you had left those black the tank would have worked (just) tbh I don't like it,,,,anyway put the guards etc back to black and do that crazy psychedelic tank design, my opinion and my opinion only but you asked

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for me (and my opinion only) where you messed up with the white was painting the mudguards and side panels, if you had left those black the tank would have worked (just) tbh I don't like it,,,,anyway put the guards etc back to black and do that crazy psychedelic tank design, my opinion and my opinion only but you asked
I think painting them pure solid black would take some of the fun out of it for me. I do appreciate your opinion, maybe your idea but with a subtle black flake in the black paint for the mudguards/bubbles. A little bit of interesting but still quite subtle and back to basics with the black. I like the idea, appreciate it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Like the idea of a retro swirl high color design as I haven't seen it done on the bike and think it could look good with the classic looks might even put on a hippie flower or paisley pattern in the mix, dont particularly like either of these tanks color pallets or patters but just a thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like the idea of a retro swirl high color design as I haven't seen it done on the bike and think it could look good with the classic looks might even put on a hippie flower or paisley pattern in the mix, dont particularly like either of these tanks color pallets or patters but just a thought.
Appreciate you looking into some ideas for me. I like the novelty aspect of both, definitely on the level of what I want to achieve. I mocked up some pictures for the retro:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Of course the tank being on the side is weird but the actual paint job can be whatever. I'm moving soon so this is still a month+ ahead of now, but I have a few lazy days so I figured I would think on it and mock up some things. Anyway, appreciate the help so far and any future opinions are encouraged ofc. thx

·
Registered
247 Posts
Appreciate you looking into some ideas for me. I like the novelty aspect of both, definitely on the level of what I want to achieve. I mocked up some pictures for the retro:

View attachment 49794 View attachment 49795 View attachment 49796 View attachment 49797 View attachment 49798

Of course the tank being on the side is weird but the actual paint job can be whatever. I'm moving soon so this is still a month+ ahead of now, but I have a few lazy days so I figured I would think on it and mock up some things. Anyway, appreciate the help so far and any future opinions are encouraged ofc. thx
G,day A.B, here's some inspiration for you, I'm not one for many bright colours I'm a black and white person but I really like the sight of a Mexican throw rug on a seat in a pick up truck so I reckon plain guards and side covers and a Mexican throw rug paint job on the tank or visa versa, don't know how that's perceived over there but it would get some attention here, cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe check out some of the painters doing this sort of stuff.. they’re all on Instagram so I don’t know their real names joel845 does amazing work and lots of mexi blanket stuff, chemical candy, triple S paint works, time Bomb customs.. just a start, I could do pages of them!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think go with a solid color. I really like the white knight look you have as it is!! And if you must paint it again, just paint the tank something different. But I'm not a big fan of the colors in choice 1, it's not my style. Different is cool and I think your white knight bike is very different already and it's very cool. But I am more of a plain person when it comes to color. Everyone has their own style. You gotta do what makes you happy! :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hmmmmm,
I’ve found that for some reason white, and I mean solid white, doesn’t work on a bike. Which is strange as I like white on a car or truck. As long as the accent color, usually black, isn’t over done.
I personally don’t give an opinion on what others should do. It’s your bike! Do whatever feels right to you. If somebody doesn’t like it that’s their issue. I wish you luck in your endeavor
and look forward to seeing what YOU come up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My vote would have been for 1. It would definitely make for a great unique look. My one strike against would be that maybe it's more of a typical chopper paint scheme not a bobber?

Returning the side panels to black so they blend into the bike and disappear would have helped the white I think. For me, a boldly colored tank with matching fenders would work much better without the added blob on the side.

Option 3: This is from an episode of biker build off. It's a well used color combo admittedly, but I've always thought that something similar to it would look great on the bobber.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts