Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Lads & Lasses,

Let me preface this post by saying this project was started ten months ago, so has been a very long time to completion. I won't bore you with all the reasons this project got held up but I'm thrilled it's finally done.

So why custom handlebars?

Well the stock mini-apes are great bars but for me personally they were not quite a perfect fit, so on long rides I contemplated how I could improve them. To this end I decided to purchase a second set of Triumph mini-apes and have them altered to my specifications.

I decide on three changes:

Firstly, the stock bars just felt (and looked) too narrow, so I had them widened by a total of 2" (1" either side).

Secondly, I had one inch removed from the uprights, lowering the hight of the bars just a little.

Thirdly and most importantly, the grip angle was wrong for me. The original bar-grips were too swept back, so while removing the 1" from the uprights I had the grips rotated forward by 2½" (expressed at the bar-ends).

I have just fitted these new handlebars and took a short test ride, so it's early days yet. However I'm going to tentatively say I'm completely thrilled. Only longer rides and 'living' with them will tell me if these are 'perfect' (for me) but for now I feel I made the right choice.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Great job, Roy.
You can clearly see the difference between the two bars.
Ride on in comfort!!! :smile2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's modifications and then there's modifications.

Great job Roy, I'm constantly surprised by the changes that people are making to their Bobbers and fully custom stuff like this really floats my boat. Not sure I'll be going there yet but there is another Bobber in my town (not many to be seen in the UK - at a recent bike meet I was the only Bobber among 300+ bikes) and he has the standard apes. If our paths ever cross I might have to ask for a little sit and see how it feels.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
There's modifications and then there's modifications.

Great job Roy, I'm constantly surprised by the changes that people are making to their Bobbers and fully custom stuff like this really floats my boat. Not sure I'll be going there yet but there is another Bobber in my town (not many to be seen in the UK - at a recent bike meet I was the only Bobber among 300+ bikes) and he has the standard apes. If our paths ever cross I might have to ask for a little sit and see how it feels.
They ARE REALLY comfy! But work best with the forward controls (I’ve tried both).

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Chaps,

I'm really excited to get out and try these. The standard mini-apes just felt too narrow to me and for my shoulders/hand position. Now after riding with the standards for over a year these new ones feel rather wide but I'm sure I will get used to them in no time.

I guess a good sign is that on my test ride last night I called in to get some ice cream (for my lady:grin2:) and when I came out, jumped on a roared down the road - my first thought was 'I love this'...:smile2:

Made a small adjustment (rearward) when I got home so looking to get out again later today.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mate,

Not right now but probably down the road at some point. This has been such a long project I'm pleased to just get them on.

I have lots of other mods pending, so plenty to keep me busy for the time being.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Roy, I also made a set of custom handlebars. Ran with the original flat bars for a while but was getting a bit of a pain in the lower back on longer runs. Went with the Motone rises and this was definitely better but after putting the short rear fender on I wanted to do something different with the bars. I wanted higher bars to follow the line of the hard tail look frame. Personally I didn't want the mini apes as I thought they looked too high but I didn't want after market bars either because I wanted to retain the bar end mirrors and OEM heated grips I had on the bike. Through this forum I was able to swap the Motones for a set of mini apes which I got a four inches of height cut off to give me something unique. Next winter I may even cut another couple of inches off them! All about making the bike what you want!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @MarkArbroath,

Sweet my friend, nice job indeed. I think finding, fitting, making the right bars is a huge difference, so well done.

I've been running with mine for a few days now and I feel they need to be ever so slightly rearward, so I have ordered some new risers to see how they work. Overall I'm loving the feel of wider bards, just need a tweak here and there.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motone Risers Added

I just wanted to update this thread.

I've been living with these custom bars for a few days and noticed they felt just a little too far forward. So I grabbed some Motone 'up & over' risers from A&J (big thanks to Brian for shipping them super quick) and fitted them this evening (see pics).

I must be honest I don't like the look of these risers, although they are great quality, just never been a fan of the 'up & over' look, however in this case it's function over form, as my ride position is just about perfect now.

Will live with these for a while and report back. I'm loving the wider profile of the bars and the grip angle is ever so better (for me). Funny! I did notice before I fitted the risers that my 'stance' was more forward/aggressive and I started to ride more aggressively, funny how that happens..:smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Silly question Roy, Didn't you have the bars shortened? Aren't these risers making up some of the height you didn't like in the originals?:surprise:

Chico

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chico,

Yes, in cutting the uprights to re-position the grip, I lost one inch. This was not too important, so adding it back with these risers is no issue. Also, since I worked out these bars I've changes the seat which is ever so slightly higher, so I guess it's all worked out.

The big changes were in the width of the bars and the angle of the grips, both of these have been a successful change.

These new bars along with the changes just places them slightly too forward for comfort, although the look was killer. So with these risers pulling them ever so slightly back, I think I'm good to go.

Will report back soon on comfort. It never ends...:wink2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
171 Posts
I must be honest I don't like the look of these risers, although they are great quality, just never been a fan of the 'up & over' look, however in this case it's function over form, as my ride position is just about perfect now.
I do like the look of the offset that the risers have produced between the triple tree and the bars! Looks like there's something technical going on rather than just bolted on.
I reckon you'll grow to like 'em Roy!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks @Johnny,

I never thought of it that way. You could of course be correct. They are certainly a nice product and the finish is a step up from stock, so no complaints there.

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see how a little riding time will play out.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that @UnkleChopz,

I must confess ( >:) ) I quite liked the slightly more aggressive forward position of the bars from the other day but experience told me it wouldn't really be all that comfortable.

Took her out for a short spin this morning and I'm loving the riding position:grin2: I think I'm the coolest kid in town....:nerd: Maybe I should change my name to ....Steve...:laugh:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First Long Ride With These New Bars

Well I couldn't wait any longer and as it was a beautiful evening I decided to take a long ride and put these new handlebars to the test.

A couple of hours through the mountains and desert as the sun slowly went town. A stunning ride and the new handlebars works a treat. I'm really loving the wider stance and more correct (for me) grip angle. Only time will tell so I'm not promising I won't tinker in the future but for now I'm pretty chuffed.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roy, you always manage to get some most excellent shots!
Thanks for that @Johnny, much appreciated.

It never escapes me that I'm an Englishman in such an amazing country as the US, so taking a photograph and looking at it later helps me to 'pinch' myself. Great fun.:smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts