Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had CC in cars for years and am very happy using it. I have a habit of when I get off highways I turn it off to avoid additional dash indications etc... SO I've used it a few times on the Speedmaster, and am very happy with the Switch on, set, cancel, re-set regime, but I can't work out how to switch it OFF as I would in the car case. Manual isn't helpful, and what ever I try doesn't seem to work - apart from ignition off and back on. Is that normal operation?

Thanks a lot

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
As far a as I can tell, once it’s been activated it can only be paused (by touching the brakes, throttle, button) or resumed by pushing the button again. I don’t think it can be “switched off” until the contact switch has been turned off.
Probably something to do with the ride by wire?
Correct me if I’m wrong, of course.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far a as I can tell, once it’s been activated it can only be paused (by touching the brakes, throttle, button) or resumed by pushing the button again. I don’t think it can be “switched off” until the contact switch has been turned off.
Probably something to do with the ride by wire?
Correct me if I’m wrong, of course.
Thanks, I'll ask the dealer as well (doh, why didn't I think of that earlier!) it's just that the manual says "Cruise control can be switched on or off
at any time but it can not be activated until all the conditions described on page 45 have been met"...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have found that the only way to stop it is to interrupt it (Clutch , brakes , throttle) , but hitting the button doesn't do a thing. If that's wrong , please share your findings.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found that the only way to stop it is to interrupt it (Clutch , brakes , throttle) , but hitting the button doesn't do a thing. If that's wrong , please share your findings.
Yeah, that's not my definition of "turning it off", that's "cancelling"... What I'm trying to do is to turn off (i.e. remove the indication from the display near the gear indicator)… I'm happy with "cancelling" and "resuming".

·
Registered
459 Posts
:crying:
soon 80 km / h on the French roads ..
if I want to keep my driving license ... even with a bobber can be ride with a cruise control or then remove 3 speeds from my gearbox..>:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
It will not turn off until you turn off the ignition. Once cruise control is activated and ready for use, the indicator comes on and it remains activated until the key is cycled again.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will not turn off until you turn off the ignition. Once cruise control is activated and ready for use, the indicator comes on and it remains activated until the key is cycled again.
Thanks a lot, just doesn't read that way in the manual... At least mine is functioning the same way as yours, and it'll stop me trying to turn CC off, and resuming it instead :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to close this out, as mentioned, CC goes off only when you switch the ignition off... According to Suffolk Triumph.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just to close this out, as mentioned, CC goes off only when you switch the ignition off... According to Suffolk Triumph.
So , I'm running my cruise last night on the way home from a boys night out (Note: Don't offer to buy the first round until AFTER your friends have ordered....) , and I wanted to interrupt the cruise to turn it off , so I twisted the throttle clockwise (decel) , and guess what? The light went out. So , perhaps give that a try. I'm special , but I doubt my bike is.........:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
That’s a safety feature and one of the sequences needed to activate the CC when it’s first installed. Those steps (which include rotating the throttle clockwise) make sure that if ANY controls are touched the CC is immediately deactivated).
But the OP’s question was with regards to turning it off completely and not just deactivating it once it’s been on.

Oh, and now you’ve mentioned drinks - i believe it’s time for my evening sip of Glenfiddich >:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Perhaps I'm confused.... :confused: I have a green light on , on my speedo after I engage the CC regardless of whether it is still being used or not. Doesn't matter how I get out of using it , clutch , brakes , acceleration , etc. The light always stayed on. Last night I tried deceleration for the first time to interrupt the CC. Not only did it kill it , it turned the light off on my dash.

So I guess I am not sure exactly what was being asked.:|

Jameson Caskmate for me this evening.....I'm in for the night!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Perhaps I'm confused.... :confused: I have a green light on , on my speedo after I engage the CC regardless of whether it is still being used or not. Doesn't matter how I get out of using it , clutch , brakes , acceleration , etc. The light always stayed on. Last night I tried deceleration for the first time to interrupt the CC. Not only did it kill it , it turned the light off on my dash.

So I guess I am not sure exactly what was being asked.:|

Jameson Caskmate for me this evening.....I'm in for the night!

I’ll try the deceleration theory this weekend. You may be absolutely right in that it completely shuts down the CC and renders it “off” and reset. I only deactivated mine via the conventional brakes/clutch/CC button and have not tried twisting the throttle the other way yet (well, not intentionally and while looking at the speedo).

Cheers and enjoy your glass :smile2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
The green light is only on when the cruise is activated on mine. (Active/in use)

When the cruise is simply turned on for its first use, the cruise emblem appears on the lcd display and remains there until a key cycle regardless of how many times it is activated or deactivated.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Oh, and now you’ve mentioned drinks - i believe it’s time for my evening sip of Glenfiddich >:)
I have at least two single malt Scotches every night. Tonight it was Edradour Ballechin Series #8. :grin2: I am a big fan of Glenfiddich. I've tasted 17 different Glenfiddich "expressions". (I keep a spread sheet of all the whiskies that I have tried.) >:)

* * * * * * *​

For some reason I am not comfortable with the Bobber cruise control. That's not really a problem because I am seldom on long stretches of highway with the Bobber.

·
Registered
82 Posts
To add to this topic, since I was also confused in the beginning:
Initial activation requires two button presses ("turn on" and "engage"), while the on-status is reflected by the LCD symbol and the engaged status is shown by the green LED. Cancellation only turns off the LED but it will always stay on until the engine is switched off and on again.

Cancellation can be done through brakes, clutch (although it happens late on my model, engine revs up before CC cancels), turning the throttle grip forward or - the most gentle way for cancelling - turning the throttle grip back up to the position where the throttle would be.

I did find out that keeping the CC button pressed while CC is enganged will decelerate, but apparently there is no way to accelerate or resume previous speed.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts