Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2: On starting the bike today clutch wouldn't engage first or any other gear initially - on letting lever out simply nothing happened, then, intermittently it started to work. Took her into Triumph North London and am awaiting their opinion! Has anyone had a similar issue? On Stuart Fillingham's YouTube channel there's some talk of the water cooled twins having gear selection issues between 10 and 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... a further note - clutch cable showing signs of superficial abrasion at several sites. I noted that it had also slipped out of a guide and was resting against exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I was reading on the Facebook group about another Bobber owner having trouble selecting 3 & 4th gear.
Apparantly the dealer is ordering and replacing the selector (whatever that is).
I´m pretty sure the same person has posted here on the forum too. Perhaps he can chime in?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I couldn't get my Bobber into neutral. After some messing around I figured that the cable was out of adjustment. I only have about 2,000 miles on my bike. That seems early for a cable adjustment.

I'll check and see if my cable has slipped out of a guide.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't get my Bobber into neutral. After some messing around I figured that the cable was out of adjustment. I only have about 2,000 miles on my bike. That seems early for a cable adjustment.

I'll check and see if my cable has slipped out of a guide.
If it had slipped out of a guide could that be the sole cause of the problem?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If it had slipped out of a guide could that be the sole cause of the problem?
It wouldn't help. I have been fiddling with my handle bars and my clutch position for the past week. I think that "fiddling" messed up my adjustment. As chezqui said, I think you have to play with the adjustment. The handbook says 2 to 3mm play is about right. (Page 88 in my handbook.) I had 6 to 8mm play and that didn't work.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It wouldn't help. I have been fiddling with my handle bars and my clutch position for the past week. I think that "fiddling" messed up my adjustment. As chezqui said, I think you have to play with the adjustment. The handbook says 2 to 3mm play is about right. (Page 88 in my handbook.) I had 6 to 8mm play and that didn't work.
Measurements are great as a start but the feel is a better measure IMHO.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could this possibly be related to the clutch cable guide recall that was placed on lots of bobbers? I read it effected the electrical system by rubbing them but if that much tension and friction is being created seems like it could effect clutch pull easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts