Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed where my cable runs through on the front of the bike, there's a little bracket that the cable runs through. My cable has been chadding on this bracket whenever I turn. Keep an eyebfor this. Is on the left side of the light.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Picture?

I have noticed that the silver flat washer thing with the slot in it constantly comes lose up where the cable goes through up next to the lever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture?

I have noticed that the silver flat washer thing with the slot in it constantly comes lose up where the cable goes through up next to the lever.
This is what I was talking about. You can see the chafe tape I put on thebcable itself, unfortunatly that part that was rubbing is now prevented from passing through that metal, so I've only relocated the area that will chafe. But it's that metal clamp in the photo..

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Picture?

That's the lock nut that keeps the cable adjustment from moving. Mine comes loose too. Triumph needed to use a finer thread on that adjustment. You can wrench it, but then adjustment on the road!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found this on my bike also and at 1600 miles it ain't pretty. Anyone have a suggestion on how to remedy the scuffing of the cable? I only assume the routing of the cables is important for maneuvering more than for appearance?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also now noticed the chaffing issue in the same spot on the clutch cable, ~3000 miles now. Doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a good fix yet?

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I also now noticed the chaffing issue in the same spot on the clutch cable, ~3000 miles now. Doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a good fix yet?
You can simply remove that little bracket and loop.

Eisen put black for covers on his, which made that are to large for the bracket/loop to attach to the fork. He rocks it without it and said the cable is stable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With mine I just turned to wheel into the position that I saw it putting the most tension on the cable and loosened the bolt re positioned it so while it was turned it barely touched then tightened it back up. Now it doesn't rub last I checked. Also I have different bars on my bike so I had to readjust it any way so my solution might not work for you guys.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I noticed the chafing after 500 miles. Dealer ordered a new cable and Triumph declined warrantying the cable since the dealer didn't include a picture. Today I returned to the dealer for a photo-up, we'll see if Triumph will stand behind this awful design. I'm hoping that Triumph or the dealer can come up with a fix, stay tuned.

Chico

·
Registered
360 Posts
I removed the clamp on mine altogether. Looks better too! Easy fix.
No more chaffing, cable does rest against the lamp bit, but doesn't do any damage to it.

I did this before the chaffing got bad, so I don't need a new cable on warranty. My Triumph dealer/mechanic says it's better that way too. It has enough support.

If you're fitting different handlebars, that little clamp may be more useful, but with the standard bars I see no use for it.

cheers
mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't have my Bobber yet but according to the picture is there enough space to just add a small piece of rubber hose cut in half as a protective sleeve?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I removed the clamp on mine altogether. Looks better too! Easy fix.
No more chaffing, cable does rest against the lamp bit, but doesn't do any damage to it.

I did this before the chaffing got bad, so I don't need a new cable on warranty. My Triumph dealer/mechanic says it's better that way too. It has enough support.

If you're fitting different handlebars, that little clamp may be more useful, but with the standard bars I see no use for it.

cheers
mike
I have the high bars and the longer cable does need some support.

Chico

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on mine, clutch cable + guide changed under warranty but with same parts => same issue will happen again.
I did put some tape around the guide to avoid the cable to be destroyed again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Clutch cable has been on order for over 3 weeks going to replace under warranty if it doesn't run out by the time they get the clutch cable

1 - 20 of 28 Posts