Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nerd:

I had to position the clutch cable guide,by tightening the screw.
I found that after 5000 km the cable sheath was well damaged :crying:

·
Registered
785 Posts
My dealer’s just put in a warranty claim for mine, Triumph know there’s a problem as the Bobber Black, the Speedmaster, and I think the new 2018 Bobbers have a different clutch cable guide.

·
Registered
360 Posts
:nerd:

I had to position the clutch cable guide,by tightening the screw.
I found that after 5000 km the cable sheath was well damaged :crying:

seems to be a common problem:

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/625-triumph-bobber-issues-problems/2201-clutch-cable.html

you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. some recommend taking that guide off completely, but i think it may rub up too much against the headlamp bowl and cause other problems. i noticed the chaffing happening on my cable when i was changing out my headlamp. luckilly it wasn't too bad and after playing around with adjusting the positioning of that clamp, i haven't noticed any further damage. others also have wrapped some felt tape or similar around the rubbing area also to help.

·
Registered
785 Posts
seems to be a common problem:

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/625-triumph-bobber-issues-problems/2201-clutch-cable.html

you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. some recommend taking that guide off completely, but i think it may rub up too much against the headlamp bowl and cause other problems. i noticed the chaffing happening on my cable when i was changing out my headlamp. luckilly it wasn't too bad and after playing around with adjusting the positioning of that clamp, i haven't noticed any further damage. others also have wrapped some felt tape or similar around the rubbing area also to help.
Or you could fit the new improved guide from the BB.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Or you could fit the new improved guide from the BB.
Good idea, unfortunately the BB has thicker fork stanchions so it's clamp may not fit. But I may be wrong...

I removed my clamp altogether before the cable got too chaffed, just have to live with a tiny bit of paint missing from the headlamp bowl.
My dealer promised me a new cable on warranty when I'm in for the next service. I don't mind it rubbing against the headlamp bowl, I'll touch it up soon with a little Hammerite; that'll last forever :wink2:

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My clutch cable started to frey almost immediately. The dealer got me a new one under warranty. I took off the culprit gizmo and used a rubber band like device. I saw the new clutch cable guide and asked my dealer to order it for me, no charge. Part #T2045762. Retail price is $42.84.

Chico

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Replace it under warranty. Mine got done a few weeks ago. A bulletin came out about it. They are swapping the old bobber clips for the new setup on the Bobber black
Could you post where you are finding these bulletins? Would be great to know, much appreciated.

I wonder if there is a way to integrate the bulletin into this forum so we can all see what comes out related to our models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could you post where you are finding these bulletins? Would be great to know, much appreciated.

I wonder if there is a way to integrate the bulletin into this forum so we can all see what comes out related to our models.
The bulletins are internal for the Triumph dealers. This is what the bloke at the shop told me when I complained about it.He said that triumph had issued a bulletin about it and they were carrying out repairs. Hop on down to the Trumpy dealer and they should fix it up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Replace it under warranty. Mine got done a few weeks ago. A bulletin came out about it. They are swapping the old bobber clips for the new setup on the Bobber black
Good info. Thank you. I will contact my dealer to get the part. I will try not to bring it in for this fix as dealer is a bit away. I suppose after multiple Triumph and HD rebuilds myself they will allow me to replace but I don't wager on factory anal-ness.

ETA: I was going to take the stock one off, put it in a press to round the oval and slip a piece of split hose (vacuum or fuel) over and zip tie it as a rub guard but I like this factory fix better.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:x after

:crying: before:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Finally arrived. Triumph refuses to replace the old style guide with this new one under warranty. They would rather replace the whole clutch cable once or twice a year...seems reasonable doesnt it. That is not worth my time.
I gave up and bought it...$12 CAD

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
my clutch cable was replaced and got the new guide as i and many others experienced the same thing happen. for some reason, think they ordered the bobber black version, as the clamp was still slightly loose even when tightened down all the way. it would basically spin around and didnt do much in securing the cable. since i already had replaced my headlamp with the larger 7" motone led, it was actually snugly holding the cable in place. i removed that cable guide completely and been riding without it for over a year now. i regularly check the cable during my regular wipedowns and it has been fine. it just scuffs a tiny area of the back of my motone led headlamp housing but it's not visible unless you really look back in that area, so doesn't really bother me. so far so good. but most likely if you still have the smaller stock-sized 5" light housing, then i can see it would be needed to hold the cable in place.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Beaker your dealer is full of :poop:. This is a common issue, a design flaw. My dealer told me that Triumph was aware of this and exchanged my clutch guide and cable for the "new" version on the spot.

Chico

·
Registered
124 Posts
Beaker your dealer is full of :poop:. This is a common issue, a design flaw. My dealer told me that Triumph was aware of this and exchanged my clutch guide and cable for the "new" version on the spot.

Chico
Same here! Got the clutch guide replaced last year, no charge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts