Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed sort of a "clunk" sound when the bike hits a sharp bump, such as a pot hole. Has anyone else experienced this? I've heard the sound a few times before. However, it appears to be happening more often. The bike has about 8k miles on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eisen,
I suspect suspension as well. It does not sound like it is coming from the XPipe.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Worth checking the xpipe connections anyway - just to rule that one out.
Is the noise coming during compression or rebound ? And can you replicate it while pushing up and down (hard) on the bike while static and engine off ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise can be herd during compression. I have not been able to replicate by pushing up and down.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Grab your front forks at the bottom down by the axles and push and pull checking for free play ideally with the front jacked up. Insufficient fork oil level can also make your forks top out which can be heard!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'm away from home but will certainly check the areas you've suggested when I get back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used to get an annoying click when moving the bars from lock to lock. It turned out to be the clutch cable. A bit of adjustment and it stopped but it was quite a loud click. Probably not your issue, but worth checking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to get an annoying click when moving the bars from lock to lock. It turned out to be the clutch cable. A bit of adjustment and it stopped but it was quite a loud click. Probably not your issue, but worth checking.
Thanks for replying. However, in my case it is most certainly not the problem I am having. The sound is certainly coming from the forks or perhaps the neck. It started off as an occasional clunk that has now progressed and can be replicated by hitting a sharp bump. The bike has close to 9,000 miles so I'm sure there are a few items that need to be looked at.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I hear a little clunk over bumps, almost like the frame is a little loose somewhere. Its a new bike so I dont think its suspension related.. could be the steering head bearing. Is that a common loosening item to check at first service? I'm at like 300 miles.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The Bobber's suspension travel is short and the factory must somehow accommodate heavy riders despite their questionable decision to make the suspension non-adjustable. The only way to solve that is with very stiff suspension via some combination of spring preload and serious compression damping (PS: please never say "dampening", ugh).

So, if you don't weigh over 250 pounds, and you pay attention at all, you will likely be able to trace the clunk back to your friggin' teeth clacking together! Waaah!

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hah! Its not over large stuff, I feel it over little bumps like in the parking lot
If you have a jack, and a mate handy, lift the front of the bike off the ground, get your buddy to steady it, then try lifting sharply on the front wheel. Your checking for any type of movement, somebody mentioned steering head bearings, I think that maybe a good possibility, might need to reset the end play/lash.

I will add that mine does clunk a bit, when the forks top out over bumps, so that might be all it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts