Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here. New member, new Bobber 2017 owner???
I don’t know if its supposed to be like this, but the foot rests feels strange as they move or ‘clunk’ when I am driving.
Might be related to the rear frame with the mono shock.

Does this sound familiar to anybody here?
Have driven perhaps 40 km since buying the bike. It had 9500kms on it and looks almost like new.

Brgds,
ABV

·
Read Only
153 Posts
I think in answer to your basic question, "No, it is not supposed to be like that" There should be no movement of the footrests during normal riding. I have never noticed any such feeling while riding my own Bobber.

The only thing I can think of is that either there is something loose somewhere or you are not used to the firm rear suspension on the Bobber. Have you had a thorough look around the bike for anything that has come loose? It might be worth a visit to your dealer to get them to check it over. As regards the suspension, if you have come from something particularly soft such as a cruiser then maybe you are not used to the firm rear end on the Bobber.

Other things worth checking might be the chain tension but the bottom line would seem to be that what you are experiencing is not something that I have noticed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
the foot rests feels strange as they move or ‘clunk’ when I am driving.
You shouldn't get a 'clunk' from the foot pegs when riding, if you do something is very wrong!!!

As for the pegs sometimes feeling a bit strange this has been discussed on here before and I've experienced it myself. My drive is at 90degrees to the road, off a steep hill where I also often have to negotiate parked cars, while doing this at walking speeds or below the Bobber's pegs can feel a bit squirmy under foot. Initially I wasn't sure what was going on but it turned out it was just the combination of the super springy rubber Triumph puts on the pegs and my boots. It's only something I notice when slow speed manoeuvring and with different foot ware it isn't an issue. If you're experiencing something similar at low speeds I wouldn't worry it's normal but if it's not get it check out by your dealer, it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey ABV! Welcome!

So, the foot pegs should not be moving when you are riding!! Unless you dragging them of course..

Have you determined if what you are feeling is acctually the pegs moving yet? If not, grab the pegs and start trying to shake them around, work your way towards the frame shaking each piece of hardware until you have found the loose part(s), or ruled out the pegs/mounts. You should be able to find any movement fairly quickly. There will be a bit of movement where the pegs are pinned to the brackets.

If there is excess movement in the pin between the pegs and the mounting bracket you will need to determine if the pins or bosses for the pins have worn prematurely and replace as necessary. Check if there is excessive end play between the peg and mount (the peg sliding back and forth on the pin in the mount, should only be a small amount, less than a 1/16th of an inch). If there is more, then you can try putting some shims in to take up the play and see if that solves your issue.

Do you have the stock mid controls, or the Speedmaster (or aftermarket) forward controls? If you have stock mids then check where the mounting brackets are bolted to the frame. If you have the Speedmaster forwards you will need to check the mounting bolts for the cross bar that the foot peg brackets mount to, they're below the rad, in addition to checking where the peg brackets bolt to the mount bar. If you have aftermarket (monotone or free spirits) you will need to check the mounting points along the frame and where the pegs mount to the frame hardware (no personal experience with these types, just going by pictures, so be thorough with your inspection if this is what you have). Also make sure the mounting hardware for your controls (shifter and brake levers) are tight and there isn't excess movement in the levers or linkages.

Hope this helps?
Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Great Black North!
Thank you for plenty of tips:)
I can feel it is related to the back end flexing/bouncing. If I grab the clutch while going downhill, it is actually less noticeable. Very strange. I will go over the items you have pointed out tomorrow!

Btw, I have stock pegs:)

Thanks again!
BR,
André

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, yesterday I discovered what was going on!
Turns out part of my exhaust was loosening. Left hand side has a shield connecting the front pipe and the rear muffler, making it look like it is one item. That shield had loosened and slid back. The pipe from the muffler connecting with the catalytic converter was not tight either, so the whole rear part moved a bit up and down when moving. The shield touched the front pipe when bouncing.
I could not get to the catalytic mount/bolt, but I slid the shield into the front pipe and tightened it well. It seems to be good now. Will test ride later today☺

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Hi, yesterday I discovered what was going on!
Turns out part of my exhaust was loosening. Left hand side has a shield connecting the front pipe and the rear muffler, making it look like it is one item. That shield had loosened and slid back. The pipe from the muffler connecting with the catalytic converter was not tight either, so the whole rear part moved a bit up and down when moving. The shield touched the front pipe when bouncing.
I could not get to the catalytic mount/bolt, but I slid the shield into the front pipe and tightened it well. It seems to be good now. Will test ride later today☺

Excellent, I'm glad you found it and got it sorted, now you can enjoy riding it. I would have a really good check over everything else now to make sure there are no other items coming loose that shouldn't be!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Excellent, I'm glad you found it and got it sorted, now you can enjoy riding it. I would have a really good check over everything else now to make sure there are no other items coming loose that shouldn't be!
Good idea , I've got into the habit of checking fasteners at least once a fortnight now. I've had a few work loose since owning the Bobber , especially the left hand side exhaust. Any I've found loose I've torqued up to Triumphs specs with a dab of blue locktite. It's just good practise and now part of my riding checklist.

Reactions: dan_tfc and ABV2020

·
Premium Member
349 Posts

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Do you know he has just published a collection for £25.00? I chipped in to the crowdfunding project to get it to the publishers and purchased one of the original bound volumes. I know it was mad but he played a very significant part of my teenage years! I still laugh out loud when I read certain strips.

I think he has stopped selling for the time being but, hopefully he will be back on line soon.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Do you know he has just published a collection for £25.00? I chipped in to the crowdfunding project to get it to the publishers and purchased one of the original bound volumes. I know it was mad but he played a very significant part of my teenage years! I still laugh out loud when I read certain strips.

I think he has stopped selling for the time being but, hopefully he will be back on line soon.
Aaaaaah cool , I'll keep an eye out. Same here , I was always buying BIKE as a nipper and used to frantically skip to Ogri first when i got home. It was gutting when they dropped the strip but it got me into modifying as i started buying Back Street Hero's after that to continue reading his exploits. 🤣

Reactions: 9531

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Aaaaaah cool , I'll keep an eye out. Same here , I was always buying BIKE as a nipper and used to frantically skip to Ogri first when i got home. It was gutting when they dropped the strip but it got me into modifying as i started buying Back Street Hero's after that to continue reading his exploits. 🤣
I sent a couple of very indignant messages to the editor of Bike Magazine, when they binned Ogri, who told me that he had tried but the publishers wanted Ogri gone. I went to Back Street Heroes as well and I've never bought a copy of Bike Magazine since.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update:
Visited the dealer today who tightened my exhaust muffler. It was quite loose.
But, it didnt help much. Still same noise/clicking.
Dealer confirmed all parts are tight down there.
Sounds/feels like someone is tapping mye foot pegs from below with a screwdriver or something...

·
Registered
452 Posts
An update:
Visited the dealer today who tightened my exhaust muffler. It was quite loose.
But, it didnt help much. Still same noise/clicking.
Dealer confirmed all parts are tight down there.
Sounds/feels like someone is tapping mye foot pegs from below with a screwdriver or something...
have you checked your shoes?...might be a Woodpecker living in the sole of them?

·
Registered
787 Posts
You mentioned it quits when you pull the clutch in? Does it stop if you only pull it in a bit? pulling it just enough to take up any slack in the clutch cable and linkage/bracket?
Seems a bit odd that pulling the clutch would stop it, unless maybe the lower bracket/adjuster/linkage is lose?
Could be maybe you're feeling the slack in the chain?
Are the engine mounts and frame connectors tight?

Is it more apparent on one side verses the other?

Clutch not withstanding,,
Are the bushings in the swing arm a little out of adjustment maybe? Could check that with a jack, and watch for movement between the swing arm pivot and the main frame.
Did they check to make sure the cat was tight?
Brake pedal bouncing a bit?
Kickstand bouncing?

I'm running out of ideas!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No woodpecker😄
When I grab the clutch the clicking is gone/or at least less audible..
I am going crazy

·
Read Only
153 Posts
I don't want to sound alarmist but, it might be an idea to get the primary side checked out by the dealer. I would ask him to check the clutch is all secure, the primary chain is adjusted correctly and have a good check around in the primary chain case. If there is anything coming loose in there you want to find it and fix it before anything comes adrift.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts