Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a drummer, and drum hardware is really strong and designed to take a beating... so I thought, "Why not use drum clamps to stick stuff to the bike?"

The sissy bar stays on ok, looks ok… but I think I might take it off. I'm not so sure I like the way it sweeps the profile back.

(I am totally happy with the diamond seat and clip-ons, though…)

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
it's your bike so make it your own but the sissy bar totally destroys the lines of the bike. I like the clip ons though

cheers

Gary

·
Registered
167 Posts
Clamps for filming gear is also strong, just look at all those hollywood stunt cars that use gear you can find at the local photography store.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I wanted to do a sissy bar on mine. I think it would look good if done right but that....well it's not done right haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ghostnote: Keep doing what you're doing. The only one you have to please (ultimately) is yourself.

We all have a concept of what looks good to us, based on many factors. Moreover, what looked good to me at 20 is now different that I'm 65. One of the attractions of the Bobber (at least, to me) is that it is very minimalist, i.e, devoid of windshield, big bags, sissy bars, etc. This may account for the lack of positive response you got on the sissy bar.

Yet, remember that one of the design criteria for the Bobber was that it was meant to be a platform for customization. Since I've grown conservative over the years (process of aging, I reckon), I doubt I'm make many modifications. But in my early 30s, I customized a hardtail that HD copied <kidding> into a low rider after I got it build. Glad it's out of my system, as stock appeals to me now, especially this model.

Keep being creative and have fun at it. After all: it's your bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sissy Bar !!! :eek: Looks like something you'd find in a back yard garden to grow climber plants on. :smile2:

If yer wants to see some REAL sissy bars, take a gander at these:

·
Registered
76 Posts
You want it you do it.
Not for me.
Why are they called "sissy" bars.
A sissy bar, also called a "sister bar," is a passenger backrest. The sissy bar is an addition to the back of your motorcycle that allows the rider or passenger to recline against it while riding. Usually attached to the rear fender struts, they can come with or without leather pads, and can also be used as a support for helmets, backpacks and other gear.

My intention is to use it for a duffle bag maybe. But I think of extending the all ready curved "bar" who holds the rear fender a little higher, but I am not sure if it would look crap or good. That is why I am hoping someone else had done it so I could compare my glorious idea to reality.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I thought a sissy bar was a bar with shandies, near beer and non-alcoholic drinks....(joking, if you like any of those, all good. I drank a lot of shandies while living in the UK).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
IMO, sissy bars, while practical belong more on choppers and some cruisers, rather than Bobbers. If you want to carry some luggage but, not a backpack, one of the great looking luggage racks discussed on the forum would be the way to go. But, let’s face it, it’s all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A sissy bar, also called a "sister bar," is a passenger backrest. The sissy bar is an addition to the back of your motorcycle that allows the rider or passenger to recline against it while riding. Usually attached to the rear fender struts, they can come with or without leather pads, and can also be used as a support for helmets, backpacks and other gear.

My intention is to use it for a duffle bag maybe. But I think of extending the all ready curved "bar" who holds the rear fender a little higher, but I am not sure if it would look crap or good. That is why I am hoping someone else had done it so I could compare my glorious idea to reality.
Hi Anders, I know what they are and what they are for, but thanks - the sister bar I didn't know.
We use the word "sissy" for other things in the UK.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm a drummer, and drum hardware is really strong and designed to take a beating... so I thought, "Why not use drum clamps to stick stuff to the bike?"

The sissy bar stays on ok, looks ok… but I think I might take it off. I'm not so sure I like the way it sweeps the profile back.

(I am totally happy with the diamond seat and clip-ons, though…)
You got me thinking Ghost about those drum clamps. Maybe find, buy a set and jig up a removable luggage bag kit so when I get to my destination I won’t have a metal rack of sorts on the bike which I really detest.

I’ll skip the sissy bar though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts