Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2022 Bobber. I'm considering clip-ons since I love the look and all my previous bikes have had them (sport bikes and cafes). I'm 5'9", average build. Never had any back/wrist problems on my previous bikes. I will say that sitting upright on the Bobber sends every bump straight up my spine and I've heard that clip-ons can alleviate that by moving the top of the body forward I bit. I've read all the previous threads on the form regarding clip-ons and it seems to be a mixed bag. I'm starting a new thread to see if there is anyone who recently put them on and get their opinions. I would also like to see photos of people on their bikes to get an idea of the geometry. Last thing: I found 2 different part numbers for the Triumph clip-on kit. I know the difference is fork size (Bobber vs Bobber Black). They got rid of the Black for the 2022 model year and just gave The Bobber all the Black's features minus the black exhaust. I'm assuming I should just get the kit that was intended for the Bobber Black since it should be the same forks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I doubt the OEM clip-ons would help you much as they come with built in risers that put the grips above the yoke, at virtually the same height as the stock bars. They do look cool but unlike traditional clip-ons they don’t put any more weight over the front wheel.

Triumph pull the same trick on the Thruxton, they know their customers are mostly 50+ old boys with too much wear and tear to cope with anything like a committed sporty riding position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt the OEM clip-ons would help you much as they come with built in risers that put the grips above the yoke, at virtually the same height as the stock bars. They do look cool but unlike traditional clip-ons they don’t put any more weight over the front wheel.

Triumph pull the same trick on the Thruxton, they know their customers are mostly 50+ old boys with too much wear and tear to cope with anything like a committed sporty riding position.

View attachment 49154 View attachment 49155
The item description says it moves the position down by 139mm and forward by 125mm.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The item description says it moves the position down by 139mm and forward by 125mm.
Maybe it’s worth a punt then?

My only experience with clip-ons on the the Bobber is the TFC, which feel like the same height as stock only narrower with a bit more pulled back on the grips.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will say that sitting upright on the Bobber sends every bump straight up my spine
Check out the many threads on here about shock replacement, wilbers was my choice but there are options a plenty. It is the big weakness off the shelf at least in my opinion😉

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out the many threads on here about shock replacement, wilbers was my choice but there are options a plenty. It is the big weakness off the shelf at least in my opinion😉
Yeah, I was considering that too. I was looking at Fox over here in the states.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Top Tip - To get a less upright riding position push the seat right back and buy Triumph’s quilted seat. It’s not any more comfy than stock but it’s flatter profile will allow you to move around more and possibly put you further away from the bars. Even better buy a statement seat, the lack of padding should sit you lower and give you another couple of inches plus after 50miles your arse will be hurting so much you’re back will feel great! 😂

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, I was considering that too. I was looking at Fox over here in the states.
Do a bit of reading and take things that matter to you into consideration, I would however recommend a shock upgrade as the first change. I know it is a big investment if you go all in but it is the one thing that changed the ride of my bike the most.

I have mainly made cosmetic tweaks beyond this, people like @Roy have just re-invented the bobber into personalised rides of choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Top Tip - To get a less upright riding position push the seat right back and buy Triumph’s quilted seat. It’s not any more comfy than stock but it’s flatter profile will allow you to move around more and possibly put you further away from the bars. Even better buy a statement seat, the lack of padding should sit you lower and give you another couple of inches plus after 50miles your arse will be hurting so much you’re back will feel great! 😂
Maybe that is why my leather pan makes the bobber so comfortable

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bobber Black Clip-ons are most definitely LO-BARS!!!!! I'm 6'3", seat on furthermost rear setting and for me that meant I had a mate mill the slot to give me some extra length taking out the rear hole. I did have a problem with the custom seat (Alex leatehrCraft) impacting on my camping gear when the suspension bottomed out, so moved it forward a tad.

Not the most comfortable posture on extended rides with my long legs, especially with regard for the placement of brake & gear levers, but I've learned to endure.

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Hand tool Product Bottle Metalworking hand tool Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My bike came with 2 x statement seats. Sold one the other is in the attic with all the other stock parts

It you are trying to alliviate back or more arse pain I would say this is the worse seat you can buy. Looks cool but its a plank. I lasted about 20 minutes before my arse was aching.
Went a bought a Corbin as a last resort before selling the bike on and it changed the bike comfort wise more than the fox shock and reachy bars put together.

Having said this my arse is a fussy bugger:unsure:😬

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bobber Black Clip-ons are most definitely LO-BARS!!!!! I'm 6'3", seat on furthermost rear setting and for me that meant I had a mate mill the slot to give me some extra length taking out the rear hole. I did have a problem with the custom seat (Alex leatehrCraft) impacting on my camping gear when the suspension bottomed out, so moved it forward a tad.

Not the most comfortable posture on extended rides with my long legs, especially with regard for the placement of brake & gear levers, but I've learned to endure.

View attachment 49160 View attachment 49161 View attachment 49159
Is there any way to angle them out at all?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is there any way to angle them out at all?
Quick answer - NO! the OEM clip-ons are are anchored by the fork stanchion screws, along with a tab/spigot and spacer (items 12 &14 in the instruction pdf) which bolts up under the top triple tree that virtually secures them in a permanent position.

Probably no reason why you couldn't omit these to make it adjustable .....to a degree.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick answer - NO! the OEM clip-ons are are anchored by the fork stanchion screws, along with a tab/spigot and spacer (items 12 &14 in the instruction pdf) which bolts up under the top triple tree that virtually secures them in a permanent position.

Probably no reason why you couldn't omit these to make it adjustable .....to a degree.
Do you regret making the mod?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you regret making the mod?
I road raced for many years and have always owned sports bikes and cafe racers so the low bars and clip-ons I'm very much accustomed.

They would be more comfortable with a body frame not of my stature, and if it was a softer ride I'd enjoy it more. But to answer your question, no regrets.

Ask me in 12 months time though after I've fitted my sidecar project and the response may not be to the affirmative!

·
Registered
478 Posts
STRYKER. If you're gonna commit to purchasing the clip-ons kit, no real need to spend the extra bucks on the Riser Finishing Kit (your choice). I trawled the aisle of the kitchen reno section at our hardware store and found some plated knobs which fitted nicely in the void, secured by a generous daub of Sikaflex automotive butyl rubber adhesive.

Caution if you might later consider a Dart Screen as an accessory too. They don't manufacture one for the BB, obviously due to the cables being lower and fouling the brackets, clearances. I bought a Chinese copy on Ebay for about $80 (as compared to $200 here) and spent about 2 days trying to make it fit.....which I did, but not without frustration, a fair bit of cussing, remove, replace bend here, twist there etc. I ended up reversing the orientation of L & R brackets. Needed to feed the clutch cable through an aperture in the screen with a spark plug HT boot overtop to inhibit chaffing on the sheath.

Quality overall is pretty good for the price, it's not opaque black and surface does tend to scuff a little, unlike the Dart which I believe is scratch resistant.

Mirrors: I never did like the bar ends on the Bobber. Always scraping them on obstacles in the cramped garage, then after dropping the bike on either side and damaging the mirrors decided it was time to replace with more conventional type.

Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Wheel Automotive fuel system
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
395 Posts
There's that spider again ... saw on a previous post (you standing on the back rack). What's up with that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts