Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I generally enjoy cleaning my cars and bikes but when it comes to the wheels on my Bobber Black... not so much. I have big hands so using a sponge/mitt etc is difficult.

I’d ideally like a nice long brush but it needs to be soft enough not the scratch the black rims and flexible enough to reach all areas.

What are you guys using to make the job as easy as possible?

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi all,

I generally enjoy cleaning my cars and bikes but when it comes to the wheels on my Bobber Black... not so much. I have big hands so using a sponge/mitt etc is difficult.

I’d ideally like a nice long brush but it needs to be soft enough not the scratch the black rims and flexible enough to reach all areas.

What are you guys using to make the job as easy as possible?
Google “spoke brush”. Lot of choices. I have one of the long ones from years ago when I had a need. I guess......I have a need again!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’ve had good luck with S100 products. Spray on and rinse off for the most part. It does a good job removing chain lube. I use a paint brush or my fingers on heavily greasy surfaces. It’s worth every penny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Making it as easy as possible

Hi Mike,

.....’what are you using to make it as easy as possible?’.....

...when I’m cleaning wheels, first and foremost, what makes it as easy as possible for me is a paddock stand at the back in combination with a scissor jack to pick the front end up off the ground as well.....

....then it’s a mix of everybody elsies suggestions, degreasers, various brushs, sponges, cloths......for rapid drying it all gets a blast from my leaf blower.....

Cheers,

Billybobber

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mike,

.....’what are you using to make it as easy as possible?’.....

...when I’m cleaning wheels, first and foremost, what makes it as easy as possible for me is a paddock stand at the back in combination with a scissor jack to pick the front end up off the ground as well.....

....then it’s a mix of everybody elsies suggestions, degreasers, various brushs, sponges, cloths......for rapid drying it all gets a blast from my leaf blower.....

Cheers,

Billybobber
Cheers Billy ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I forgot

......Mike,......I forgot to say, lots of folk complain about spokes rusting and ally components corroding on all the current Triumph Modern Classic range.

In the ‘good old days’....every brand of motorbike came with an in-built anti rusting/corrosion device......it was called ‘the engine’ back then though!......the leaked oil, drips, sprays and spills.........coated most everything on the bike with a protective coat of oil thereby preventing rust on steel or corrosion on ally forming.

Nowadays with CNC production accuracy oil leaks are a very rare event, so it is necessary for owners to re-create them by doing what I call ‘oily rag maintenance’.....literally using a rag to spread a coating of protective spray, my current spray of choice is GT85, other sprays are available!, over all surfaces except brakes/discs, seat, hand grips, tyres and you must use your common sense to avoid any other sensitive areas negatively impacted by lubrication with protective sprays or oils, and due to the litigious culture we now live in, I accept no responsibility what so ever for yours or anybody elsies failings in failing to be responsible for your own safety and well being......what a sorry state of affairs we’ve come to when you have to cover your arse with statements like this eh?

In addition, I have found that fitting a chain oiler is not only great for keeping the chain and sprockets healthier but also for keeping the spokes and rim of the rear wheel beautifully coated with a protective but thin oil layer, easily and quickly wiped off post every ride thereby leaving an invisible protective coating on vulnerable surfaces.

Mike, this is not trying to teach you to suck eggs or preaching what you must be doing.....just sharing with you what works for me and keeps my Bobber looking good.

Cheers,

Billybobber

·
Registered
662 Posts
When I was a mere child, I remember walking past an old boy who had his lovely 1930's Sunbeam 500 Lion out to clean. It was gleaming and gorgeous. All he did was wipe it over with an oily rag...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts