Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - any tips on cleaning the Matt black paint work? I’ve read that applying wax is a no no.

Using Autoglym motorcycle cleaner and shampoo at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you have a little look online you will find dedicated products for matte black paint finishes. As you rightly state... regular polish is a no no!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use Muck-Off, can work out a bit expensive but does work well, if not a good tin of Matt Black paint :)

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I asked before, but isn't the matte finish still clear coated or sealed in some way? I haven't seen on in the flesh, so don't know, but would think it would be therefor not as difficult?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I asked before, but isn't the matte finish still clear coated or sealed in some way? I haven't seen on in the flesh, so don't know, but would think it would be therefor not as difficult?
I’m not sure it is. My dealer said they stock a special polish for the finish and that regular polish must not be used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone tried the Muc Off Matt Finish product on the matt black engine covers? I watched the Stuart Fillingham video and he prefers dousing the whole engine in GT85 (like Muc Off 94) but here in California I'm not sure we need that with mild weather. I just want to protect the matt finish on the engine covers but wondering if it'll just burn off. In the Fillingham video he said there's a lot of "messing about" with keeping the Muc Off Matt Finish consistent but it wasn't clear to me if he was talking only about the pipes, or the engine covers too. Thoughts about Muc Off Matt Finish on engine covers is appreciated.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I watched the Stuart Fillingham video and he prefers dousing the whole engine in GT85 (like Muc Off 94) but here in California I'm not sure we need that with mild weather. I just want to protect the matt finish on the engine covers but wondering if it'll just burn off.
While I guess most of it burns off, GT85 does leave a slippery teflon like layer that helps protect your bike's engine from the elements and makes cleaning it easier. It also makes the black bits of the engine super black so give it ago I'm sure you'll like it. :nerd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts