Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Screen on a cafe racer (Thruxton) is fine but on a Bobber?

The little that will do against the wind blast will be negligible and may even push it onto your lid anyhow? Only downside to long distance 'spirited riding' on a naked is watching all your shirts get tight in the neck over summer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like mine especially with apes
nice ;)

can you give me ,please, a picture of your motorcycle seen from behind with the bags.
I hesitate to buy them for fear of having a bike too wide from behind.

Thank you very much.;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
@DOCGSS
it's perfect; thank you very much for taking the time.:wink2:
I thought of "much worse" :D
and it will be much better than a big backpack. especially at 60 years old :crying:
I plan a long trip with the Bobber and the saddlebags would be in place only for this period then I also remove the supports.:wink2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
While a fly screen is functional, so are windshields and bags, it doesn't fit the bike; yet! it's your bike, not mine. Plus, if all had my same sense of aesthetics, life would be pretty boring.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A Bobber is an out of character motorcycle. And you might say so is a radiator on a Bobber (and digital speedo and LED lights and........(so on!)
So, for the critisism regarding the screen I think is unjustified. But, each to their own, I guess! And besides, who wants to copy everyone else?
I don’t follow fashion. I create it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You’re right. I apologise for my comment - it was a bit out of order.

I was thinking about your idea of a metal fly screen a la Brough Superior. I reckon it’s genius! Did the old Manx Nortons also have a small metal screen that had a sort of perforated or mesh construction? Something like that might look good too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Motorcycle Eugenics

You’re right. I apologise for my comment - it was a bit out of order.

I was thinking about your idea of a metal fly screen a la Brough Superior. I reckon it’s genius! Did the old Manx Nortons also have a small metal screen that had a sort of perforated or mesh construction? Something like that might look good too.
For 4 years my only mode of transport was a 1974 Norton Commando. It was pure; no electric start, reversed controls, right hand clutch and left brakes. It also was unreliable, leaked, and was in constant need of repair. It did look good though. it it did fit the proper look of that type of bike, although I always really wanted a Triton. If one person's sense of what a bike out to look like prevailed we would still have one one model. Our various forms and iterations, touring, sport, scrambler, dirt, street rod, bobber, naked, ADV, etc would have never happened. The beauty of the motorcycle community is that we are all so eclectic. I personally do not prefer the UJC (although I do like the new Honda CB1100 and Kawi Z9000) and thus I have a HD, Triumph, and Vespa in my current stable. The other common thread is that we make the bikes out own, the stock bike is just a palate as witnessed by this forum, with the constant search for "our own mods" that make the bike ours, that is what we celebrate.

All that being said I have been riding for over 55 years now. Have ridden and owned 43 motorcycles. What I appreciate is what each ridder has done to make the bike fit their aesthetics and use, not how much they have conformed, I don't care if it is a Roland Sands custom or a rat bike. Many are not to my personal taste, but I certainly do not subscribe to "motorcycle eugenics"

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not out of order, mate. Just your opinion of which you are entitled to.
As for the Brough Superior - the new one has a metal screen and I once saw an old 1930’s Brough in a museum with a tiny aluminium screen. It looked good.
Basically, if I actually like the screen when I ride the bike (still too wet here to take it out) I may commission some metal worker to make me a slightly smaller screen for the Bobber and have it in polished aluminum. To be honest, I actually bought the Dart flyscreen to use as a template for said aluminum one. For me, it is more about aesthetics rather than functionality. I’m not too bothered whether it deflects wind onto my head or not as I won’t really be going the speed of a Hayabusa anyway!
I have to admit, my wife said not to get one as well. However, she changed her mind when I actually put it on (she also said not to paint the bike and she was wrong about that too! (Her admission)
Cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not necessarily so. If less is more why has the Bobber Black got two front discs instead of one then? One disc is actually sufficient. And why have side panels, fake carbs etc? If less is more then should we junk everything that the bike doesn’t need? I don’t think so.
As I said previously, the screen is a personal choice. It would be pretty boring if we all rode around on the same looking bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts