Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a Thunderbird for the last 3 years have got used to belt drive.
Have to get used to the regular maintenance of a chain.
Am considering a chain oiler. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had a scotoiler on my street triple a few years back and seemed to work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am in the same boat. Went from a 2012 Bird to the Bobber. Love the bike but do not like a chain. I will be watching the replies for a solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've only ever had bikes with chains so can't really comment on belts. But I just give the chain a wipe with a rag and a bit of oil when washing it or when it looks like it needs it. Never had any issues with chains or had to spend more than a few minutes cleaning/oiling them as part of overall bike cleaning etc. too. Keeps it nice and shiny and well lubed. Sometimes spray on a bit of dry lube too.

Guessing lots of folks have come to the Bobbers from more traditional cruisers with belts, going by the concerns regarding chains that seems to be more common on here than other bike forums I'm on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A popular chain cleaner a lot of chain riders use is kerosene, not the kind you light a bbq with. Kerosene, grunge brush, chain oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chain Wax better to use than oil in my opinion and a great one to use is Maxima Chain wax as there is zero fling after it cured.

QUESTION:
How often do you guys lube the chain say in all fair weather riding?
Manual states every 300km (190miles). Really?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Chain Wax better to use than oil in my opinion and a great one to use is Maxima Chain wax as there is zero fling after it cured.

QUESTION:
How often do you guys lube the chain say in all fair weather riding?
Manual states every 300km (190miles). Really?

When touring, i used to lube my chain every 500km or so.
On the Bobber (when it had a chain >:)) i lubed it every 250/300km with Wurth PTFE chain lube.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
How you like that belt drive?
I have done around 150km with the belt drive in mixed riding conditions.
It has bedded in nicely and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
The bike feels fantastic and power is delivered in an electric-smooth manner. I am really happy that i decided to get rid of the chain.
No maintenance is a major plus!
Apart from that, i also happen to think that it looks great too (especially with the black pulley, which is also available in silver).

As many have stated, this is a controversial mod that won´t suit everone. But personally, I give it a 9/10 and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't they have these new chains that are maintenance free....?
Oh how i wish you did, unfortunatley there is no way to stop the wear and tear on the link pivots and the torque on the Bobber is going to abuse the **** out of the chain, really trying to find somewhere to hide a scottoiler.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Wow Eisen, you fitted a belt drive to your Bobber? That's some serious customization. Did you describe the process on the forum anywhere? If not, some pics and discussion would be a **** good read.

I have a TBird right now and am thinking of moving to the Bobber. The TBird is just getting too big and heavy for me. But, the belt drive on it is excellent.

- P

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wow Eisen, you fitted a belt drive to your Bobber? That's some serious customization. Did you describe the process on the forum anywhere? If not, some pics and discussion would be a **** good read.

I have a TBird right now and am thinking of moving to the Bobber. The TBird is just getting too big and heavy for me. But, the belt drive on it is excellent.

- P
I'm also used to a belt drive after 52,000km on an FLHR Road King in the last 8 years; much better than a chain IMO.
However, fitting a belt drive to the bobber involves cutting a piece of the frame out just rear of the front chain sprocket, to fit the (endless) belt.
No idea what that would do to my warranty! Or the strength of the frame. So I'm staying with the chain.
I just use Dry Lube from Würth or PDL and spray a bit on every 3 or 4 tank-fills, and clean it maybe once a month.

This worked great when I had my 955i Daytona 12 years ago; chain lasted the whole time I had the bike; (ca. 35,000km/3 years) and no oil all over the back end.

Cheers!
mike

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I'm also used to a belt drive after 52,000km on an FLHR Road King in the last 8 years; much better than a chain IMO.
However, fitting a belt drive to the bobber involves cutting a piece of the frame out just rear of the front chain sprocket, to fit the (endless) belt.
No idea what that would do to my warranty! Or the strength of the frame. So I'm staying with the chain.
I just use Dry Lube from Würth or PDL and spray a bit on every 3 or 4 tank-fills, and clean it maybe once a month.

This worked great when I had my 955i Daytona 12 years ago; chain lasted the whole time I had the bike; (ca. 35,000km/3 years) and no oil all over the back end.

Cheers!
mike
The belt drive kit comes with a reinforcement piece for the chassis. Therefore the install has no detrimental effect. My mechanic verified the install before cutting and he was happy to do so. As a pedantic ex moto gp mechanic, he would not have done so if he thought there would be any negative effects.

Everything you touch on your bike can potentially effect the warranty, so that was not a main concern.

So far (over 2500km) - the belt has been nothing but a pleasure & I'm really glad I went ahead with the mod.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Everything you touch on your bike can potentially effect the warranty, so that was not a main concern.
Fitting original or aftermarket accessories that are reversible, and conform with Triumph's recommendations and local traffic regulations, will not effect the warranty, potentially or otherwise. Cutting anything on the frame definitely will. My mechanic's/dealer's words. Ask the member/vendor here from Cinncinatti; he's a dealer.

The warranty of these bikes may not be a main concern for you, but it is for me and I would imagine, for most others too. But hey, it's your bike!:wink2::smile2:

I just think that it's necessary for bobber owners you know this before they start cutting anything on their frames.

That's what I like about this forum; first hand information from experienced bobber owners.:smile2:

Cheers!
mike

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Absolutely - cutting a part of the bike out is serious & obviously should not be done if the owner wants to keep their warranty or are worried about potential chassis performance/strength failure.
I am just saying that i trust my mechanics opinion and experience (which i know first hand) - otherwise there is no way i would have installed it on my own bike.
And obviously the FreeSpirits quality was excellent too.

As most of the forum members here know - i always share my findings are they are free to PM me if they have any concerns that they don´t want to air on the forum...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Getting back to the chain oiler subject

Dear people, ofcourse a belt drive is perfect, for those like me who:
a) have a problem cutting the chassis
B) fear the conversion would make some technical „checkers“ (tuv in Germany) to delete the vehicle documents (not same bike any more)
C) definately will „forget“ to lube the chain
D) are really lazy

An automatic chain-oiler is what you need.
I just finished (hope at least, testing -settings might make a small change) mounting my oiler System to the bobber:
As I had good experience with my Tiger800 (I stay quite lazy) I choose the System being sold under:

Www.mcCoi.de (BTW English version available)

Disadvantage above „ready out of the box“ systems,...it’s not :) ( so you have to swing your soldering tool)
Advantages: technically probably best system, Rain Modus if needed, quite small, and reasonably prized

What we ofcourse do not want on the bobber is... anything is too much, therefore I have been busy to hide as much as possible. One thing you cannot hide is the „tank“ for the oil, I choose not to use the „original“ tank but bought a small aluminium box and coloured it,... you guessed right, black. Tank is now on a small bracket next to the aux power supply, all electronics and pump „just“fit under the tank, oil-line towards the chain I used the original (yellow) Hose and stuck it in a black cover (I’d say almost invisible). As it is too dark now, I will make and send some piccies 2morrow

BTW, the „tank“, https://www.conrad.de/de/universal-...m-hammond-electronics-1550wp-1-st-534529.html
A bit smaller then original, but... enough capacity for I’d say 10.000 km

Cu, Léon

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
The belt drive kit comes with a reinforcement piece for the chassis. Therefore the install has no detrimental effect. My mechanic verified the install before cutting and he was happy to do so. As a pedantic ex moto gp mechanic, he would not have done so if he thought there would be any negative effects.

So far (over 2500km) - the belt has been nothing but a pleasure & I'm really glad I went ahead with the mod.
I had the cha-ching, I'd do this in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts