Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone bought either of these two tools? They appear to make a nice easy job of tensioning the chain and ensuring the wheel is aligned. I’m tempted to order but thought I’d see what you guys think? From the reviews I’ve watched the laser monkey seems to pick up on incorrectly aligned wheels even though they have been dialled in by eye using the markers.

https://www.tru-tension.co.uk/product/mega-tool-bundle/

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally un-necessary, is there even room for that on a Bobber!
It requires for the chain guard to be removed.

I appreciate it’s something that is possible to live without but from what I’ve seen it makes it a lot easier and more convenient... as well as a lot more accurate.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks like it would work but it seems very “extra”. I think it’s a cool tool and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to own one, but I just use my dial calipers to measure the axle position to make sure I am dead on on both sides.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I looked at one for my belt drive (thanks for the sharing the link, BTW)
If i did any bike maintenance at home, i would probably get one.

I think that for any competent, basic level home mechanic & Bobber owner (the chain needs CONSTANT adjustment) this would be a worthwhile tool to take out the guesswork & make sure all tensions, etc are correct.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually I have one, a chain monkey that is. I use a motion pro chain alignment tool for the other task. There is room on the bobber, I attach it to the bottom of the chain, when the bike is on a paddock stand. Once it is set up it makes the chain adjustment almost mindless. I like it, but I agree the task is not that difficult.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I looked at one for my belt drive (thanks for the sharing the link, BTW)
If i did any bike maintenance at home, i would probably get one.

I think that for any competent, basic level home mechanic & Bobber owner (the chain needs CONSTANT adjustment) this would be a worthwhile tool to take out the guesswork & make sure all tensions, etc are correct.
I haven’t had that experience at all. I touched the adjustment twice in 8k miles on mine. Possibly that’s because of my upgraded Regina chain??...maybe the stock chain is weaker. I wouldn’t consider my experience as needing constant adjustment. I am curious as to how often others are adjusting.

The chain has a range of adjustment. It doesn’t always have to be on the tightest end of the scale.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I’m a bit of a throttle pig.
And quite a lot of city riding. So perhaps that made my chain (when I had one) require more frequent tensioning??
I’m no mechanic, so just my own reasoning as to why.

It would be interesting if the upgraded chain required less adjustments. But as each rider has a different style, i doubt that can ever be verified...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a chain monkey - I've not used it on the Bobber yet as it hasn't done enough miles to need the chain adjusting after the first service. However I use it on my other bike and it does make it very simple to get the tension spot on. I wasn't sure it was worth it to be honest - but I have to say that it does make the task much simpler. I used to set it up and then need a bit of fettling to get it so I was happy with the tension. With the chain monkey I seem to get it set first time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I always check the wheel alignment on every bike I've owned. I'm yet to do it on the speedmaster, but was thinking about a chain alignment tool to make it easier. but does the chain aligned to the engine mean the two wheels are aligned? Anyone done a test on this? I'm thinking I might test this out, just need to get another straight edge (used my old one in the garden lol). cheers

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
I did a deal on these, but can't get them to fit on the Speedmaster, because of the rear suspension frame, with the upper and lower frame members preventing any access...

The other thing worth noting is you need to get a couple of flare nut spanners to get to the adjusters...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was the reply I received from tru-tension to my email, letting them know that the legs on the laser don’t fit on my sprocket.

I’m sorry... but I can’t seem to find the pic they make reference to. But from memory it was just a pic of the laser mounted directly to the chain.

Hi Mike,

Based on the photos you’ve provided we would advise to mount your Laser Money your chain rather than the sprocket. This will mean the legs will have the space required and won’t be obstructed by your hub.

I have attached to photo just to help explain.

Have a nice weekend,

James R

Tru-Tension | Tru-Tension US | Precision Every Time | Home

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ended up getting a basic chain alignment tool, a cheap version of the Motion pro one. Even it doesn't have much room to go on to the sprocket, it was clamped against the chain. I also checked the wheel alignment with a straight edge against the wheels. The rear wheel was not aligned properly - it wasn't the worst I've seen, but the straight edge was out by about 15mm at the front, and the chain was visibly not straight with the tool. So I've aligned it all now. Bike feels a little different. I think we get used to compensating for things like misaligned wheels, and when they're straight we have to get used to it again. I've got enough trust in the chain alignment tool now to use it to make sure things are aligned. It's a pity the laser monkey doesn't go on to the sprocket, that looks like a really cool piece of gear. Guzzilaz, do you mean there's not enough room for the chain monkey to go on? I was wondering about that. Also, I didn't have any problems with the adjustors. I used an old suzuki tool kit 12mm for the nut near the axle, and an open end for the 13mm on the front. That was tight, but I just managed to do it. I think if you bought a cheap 13mm spanner and ground some of the meat away from the outsides it would work quite well.

Hows the weather in England lads? I was in Portsmouth last year, in June, and it was glorious. Isle of Wight festival was pretty cool in the great weather.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Forgive me, but is the Speedmaster different from the Bobber in some in that area? I can see the measuring scale perfectly on my BB.
Not sure as I've never taken that much of a close view of the swing arm on the Bobber, but on the SM it requires to be on "No 1" as I recall, but that puts the scale right behind the horizontal member of the swing arm... I can't put it on with the displacement already set, I have to put it on then tighten to the scale ref... I'll try to take photos when I get back in about 10 days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts