Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

I've noted on a few threads some of you chaps carry a little extra gas/petrol in a container which is affixed to some part of the bike. This is something I would consider doing but living in an area that often gets 'really' hot, I'm understandably concerned about the safety of this.

Can I ask what you guys are doing in regards the container you are using, where/how you are mounting it etc?

Photos would be great too.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that,

Looks like a good option. I was thinking of a similar type container but it didn't occur to me that someone was offering a purpose/dedicated option for fuel. Very helpful indeed.

Looking forward to see what other options riders use and hear of any experiences.

Cheers,

Roy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ROY

great post looking for the same myself

be really interested if anybody had any links to ones for purchase in the uk
either bottle and carrier on there own or swing arm bag with bottle carrier attached

any info would be appreciated guys

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nevk,

Thanks for that. Yes looking forward to seeing what folks are doing.

When/if you decide on something but have trouble getting it in the UK, just drop me a line and I will be happy to help you out old chap.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
32 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Roy

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put a half litre fuel bottle in the small swing arm bag, that and the disc lock is about all I can get in. I didn’t want any other bags or holders on show so it suits me fine.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Gents,

I finally got around to sorting something out. I purchased a 20oz fuel bottle (this size seemed to fit the placement area I had in mind). I also purchased some rubberized draw liner, this did two things: most importantly it provided a soft cushion between the bottle and the frame to better hold it in place and to aid in protecting the frame's paintwork. On an aesthetic level it also looks better being black.

I zip tied it to the frame for now to see how I get on. It only needs to be there for emergency use, so not too worried about permanent fixing for now.

I haven't run the bike with this new addition as yet but for now it looks good and appears totally solid, so will report back.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I zip tied it to the frame for now to see how I get on. It only needs to be there for emergency use, so not too worried about permanent fixing for now.

I haven't run the bike with this new addition as yet but for now it looks good and appears totally solid, so will report back.

Cheerio,

Roy
you may want to consider to change the petrol in the can now and then. Old petrol tends to cause engine problems. I carry a small half litre container in a cheap side bag I fixed to my luggage rack, I change the petrol at least every half year and it's a pain in the a.s as the standard nozzle will not fit.

Reactions: Roy

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just to add , as it's been touched on , I would suggest Ethanol free gas (Remember the good stuff ?.....) if you are going to tote gas around. It will at least be decent to use even if left on the bike for a month or two. The crap with ethanol in it loses its strength and starts to weaken rather quickly (weeks).

As much as I thought I would need fuel on that trip to Texas , gas stations are plentiful in the Southeast , so I don't think I'll add anything at this time. I have however , been out west where many of you ride , and sweated a bit in between fuel ups on the likes of my Tiger (and Vstrom) , due to the distance between stops and not knowing where the gas was.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Haven’t seen Ethanol free in some time. Will adding a few drops of stabilizer help in any way?

You’re right about gas stations out west in some areas. Not knowing where the gas stop is when you might need some is worth some anxiety. But, I guess that’s why the invented Google.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well , if you don't have it , that changes thing. We have had a resurgence of gas stations (At least in the Metro Atlanta area) carrying ethanol free fuel.

I would say with storing fuel that any effort is better than doing nothing when it comes to ethanol fuels. Star tron and Stabil come to mind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts