Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice for care of the engine covers? Specifically for here in the US (if you are recommending products) please! I’m trying to stay ahead of the corrosion scare I hear about.
I’ve been using “Liquid performance street bike wash” as it’s non corrosive. Just spray it on then hose it off for light duty, and turtle wax car wash for heavier, more hands on washes. The owners manual doesn’t get too in depth and for all the covering they want you to do before you wash I’m almost afraid of the rain completely!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I have been using regular Maquiars car wash, dedicated sponges and micro fiber rags. Have a microfiber 4 sided "toothbush/spong"
thing from Autozone I use on the spokes/rims Maquiars paste wax for painted items.

For all the bright work, been using Autosol polish to clean and protect.

For dying the bike, I use my back pack leaf blower to blast water out of all the nooks and crannies.

I know I'll get laughed at, but I typically do not ride it's even remotely wet or going to rain.....mainly because I can't stand cleaning the bike...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use Glare and have had no corrosion and I live near the Atlantic so lots os salt spray. It is not a corrosion inhibitor but it is supposed to bond to metals. I also use Boeshield on surfaces that re non cosmetic. It was developed for Boeing and is amazing. But leaves a film.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Any advice for care of the engine covers? Specifically for here in the US (if you are recommending products) please! I’m trying to stay ahead of the corrosion scare I hear about.
I’ve been using “Liquid performance street bike wash” as it’s non corrosive. Just spray it on then hose it off for light duty, and turtle wax car wash for heavier, more hands on washes. The owners manual doesn’t get too in depth and for all the covering they want you to do before you wash I’m almost afraid of the rain completely!
If you’re taking the Bobber out in bad weather this might help, although I’d still wait until there’s no salt on the road:nerd:

·
Registered
97 Posts
A first class vid Bobber-Bomb I've been after something like this ever since last spring when I started riding motorcycles.
Funny though as I used GT85 loads when cleaning my old mountain bike in the day.. I hope I can protect my bobber as well as you have, Thanks again Scooter007

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I can throw my opinions here for what they're worth. I too do not ride if roads are wet. Learned this with my Harleys and chrome. It takes weeks of weekends to clean and polish. Not worth it to me. I have a bugger to ride in the rain.

That said, an old trick for a black motor which I have used for years on the Harleys and Triumphs is simple Armor All. After washing, while still wet, spray it on all the motor and wiring. Dry all polished/chrome/aluminum/stainless parts with a soft rag and let air dry all motor parts. Motor will look new for years.

A good quality paste wax (Mothers for me) works well for the painted tank, fenders and side panels. The aluminum case covers need a little finer attention from a light aluminum polish following the grain of the cover. A little rub goes a long way.

I store my bikes in a garage (not climate controlled) and live in the redwoods near the coast so it's very damp in winter but hot in summer. I cover my bikes with a fitted breathable cover with a 36" Golden Rod mounted on a 1x4 board slipped under the cover. This controls the humidity under the cover but doesn't trap moisture.

Bikes have never showed any corrosion or finish degrade.

Hope that helps.

I'll have to try some of the products listed above, thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
After each wash I apply CRC Silicone spray to the metal parts with a microfibre cloth. If I feel there are marks or it does not shine as much I will apply some Autosol followed by the CRC Silicone spray. Just my 5 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts